X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk hinges

My trunk lid has a spot when closing that the front of the lid seems
    to clunk into place just before it hits the latch. I got into the trunk and a freind open and closed the lid while I watched the hinges operate. The left hinge has some play and lets the top half of the hinge rub on a bolt head on the bottom half. The right hinge shows some scraping on the same bolt head but there is no play. I think both need replacing. The P. O. had the hole trunk sprayed with undercoating. I spent the last 2 days cleaning it off. The hinges and springs are covered with it. Haven't cleaned hinges or springs. I want to paint the trunk the same as body. Are the hinges & springs painted? '56 Power Hawk. Any thoughts?

Bad News. Trunk hinges on a CK (coupes & Hawks) are a weakspot. I don't think they are being remade, they do tend to wear out and break, and they are getting harder to find.

Best recommendation I can give you is to keep your eyes open, because they are often thrown out with rusty studes.

Paul

Comment

Bad News. Trunk hinges on a CK (coupes & Hawks) are a weakspot. I don't think they are being remade, they do tend to wear out and break, and they are getting harder to find.

Best recommendation I can give you is to keep your eyes open, because they are often thrown out with rusty studes.

Paul

Comment

Hinges and springs were painted.
        The trunk in my 53 was painted a light gray, not body color. Painting it body color would, ofcourse, be your choice.

In the meantime, I would keep the hinges as well lubricated as you can.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hinges and springs were painted.
          The trunk in my 53 was painted a light gray, not body color. Painting it body color would, ofcourse, be your choice.

In the meantime, I would keep the hinges as well lubricated as you can.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the comments.[8D] I will keep my eyes open for some hinges. S.I. shows the left hinge in thier 2006 catalog. Has anyone have any advice on removing the springs?[B)]

Comment

Thanks for the comments.[8D] I will keep my eyes open for some hinges. S.I. shows the left hinge in thier 2006 catalog. Has anyone have any advice on removing the springs?[B)]

Comment

I drilled & repinned the hinges in my "K" body to a minimal larger size.The mild steel the pivot pins go through tend to get oval shaped due to lack of lubrication over the years & causes them to collapse prematurly & "thunk" when closing the trunk lid .I cut draw pins to length ,drilled & cotter pinned to keep from backing out.If you are neat & try to keep your repair from being obvious,the hinges will work as they should & nobody will notice,Of course new or good used would be better but they are getting hard to find.Remember to keep all pivot points lubricated even on your Brand X as this is the common cause of failure

Comment

I drilled & repinned the hinges in my "K" body to a minimal larger size.The mild steel the pivot pins go through tend to get oval shaped due to lack of lubrication over the years & causes them to collapse prematurly & "thunk" when closing the trunk lid .I cut draw pins to length ,drilled & cotter pinned to keep from backing out.If you are neat & try to keep your repair from being obvious,the hinges will work as they should & nobody will notice,Of course new or good used would be better but they are getting hard to find.Remember to keep all pivot points lubricated even on your Brand X as this is the common cause of failure

Comment

When the springs are stretched you can put shims-or coins-between the coils. When tension is released, they should be easily removed.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

When the springs are stretched you can put shims-or coins-between the coils. When tension is released, they should be easily removed.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey!! That shim idea sure makes sense. Thanks alot.[^]

John Ratliff

Comment

Hey!! That shim idea sure makes sense. Thanks alot.[^]

John Ratliff

Comment

Try Stelfords. They were the only vendor that I know of that still had both hinges available NOS. Here is the link: http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelf...dTopBodies.htm

Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                            1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                            Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT

Comment

Try Stelfords. They were the only vendor that I know of that still had both hinges available NOS. Here is the link: http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelf...dTopBodies.htm

Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT
                              1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                              Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT

Comment

Working...
                              X