1958 Stude hk 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Stude hk 289

Will the oil pan clear the tierods if I try to replace rear main seal? What, if any other seals should be replaced when rear main is replaced?
    Has anybody done this? Need some guidance.

The oil pan will come off. I have been told (and it is in the shop manual) that the rear seal can be replaced with the engine in the car, however I have never done it.

Shop manual says it can be done. Basically it says to loosen the intermeadiate bearing cap screws (2 turns, more and you can damage the front bearing) and remove the rear cap. Rotate the old seal out, clean grove and rotate new one in around the crank. Retorqe bearing caps. Having done this with the engine out of the car and upside down, it sounds like a arm tiring job. Replacing the pan will be more "arm tiring" than replacing the seal.

I would suggest you wait to here from someone who has done it before, but it can be done. There are lots of experienced and helpful folks on this forum.
    Good luck

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    64 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

Comment

1. You need about twenty years of Stude dealer line mechanic experience to guarantee an in-the-frame rear seal replacement won't leak.
      2. If you want to try it anyway, you need a tool http://www.handsontools.com/Lisle%20...te=google_base
      3. When you have the old top half of the seal out, form the replacement in the main cap, but don't cut it to length. Carefully remove it from the main cap and using the tool, pull it into place around the top of the crank. Snug up all the front four caps and cut both ends of the top half.
      4. Form the bottom half the seal into the rear main cap, rolling it into place with a piece of pipe. Cut to length and install the side seals per the manual.
      5. Torque every thing twice.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Just did one in a 58 Hawk last fall. Oil pan will clear tie rods. Remove the starter. Drain oil, remove pan bolts. Remove rear main. Push old seal out. oil new upper half and slide it in. Replace lower and install rear main. Torque to 90 F.LBS. Took me about 2 1/2 hours. Jim

Comment

Working...
        X