King Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Pins

Would like to know the specs on kingpins. What is considered worn before having to sleeve. (late Lark)
    Thanks in advance,
    Kim

Kim, do you have a stude manual? The specs are in it. I don't have one in front of me at the moment. If you are doing front end work, it's good to have that manual, available from all the vendors.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

If they need sleeves, they are badly worn, there are sleeve bushings and roller bearings that can be replaced, fairly easily if removed from the car.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

I'm doing mine right now the needle bearings were in pieces on one side and the grease was like mud, I'm getting ready to press in the new bearings and sleeve bushings. got any tips or tricks so I dont mess them up?

Comment

Clean everything old with kerosene or such, down to where you could eat off of it. both the king pin and the knuckle. I expect you are here, but gotta state the obvious. This is of course best done on the work bench, not on the car.

Lightly grease the king pin and slide the bushing on it. Use the king pin as an arbor to guide and push the bushing into the knuckle. Remove the king pin, put the bearing on it and grease it with white lithium grease liberally, slide it into the knuckle.

I did this last year, that's how I remember it, but there may be a better way.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

Great! I was gonna beat on it with a socket or other Mcguyver method. Thanks for the obvious use of the kingpin to guide it. I will use this method for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X