Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker History Question...... Nissan

I read this editorial.....

But in the responses was an interesting tidbit..But is it accurate?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Jeff: Stu Chapman spends little, if any, time on the Forum. But he would be the best person to answer this question. I'm sure he'd be glad to do so. Why not give him a call? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Studebaker-Canada was also being approached at that time by a Canadian company, CMI, which offered $7 million for Studebaker, the factory in Hamilton, and already had a deal with Toyota and Isuzu to assemble cars in Sydney, Nova Scotia (which they subsequently did). Perhaps that is why Nixon was told to call Grundy re: Toyota?
      More on that was covered in this previous thread:

Craig

Comment

Very interesting reading, thanks for posting Jeff

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I don't know if this happened elsewhere but at least in the Canadian west after 1966 Nissan (known as Datsun at the time) signed up many ex Studebaker dealers. Datsun then had an instant dealership in place.
          In the early 70s in all my travels whenever I saw a Datsun dealer in an older building I would stop in and ask if they used to be a Studebaker dealer. Bingo!
          I found a lot of leftover Studebaker parts that way, gathering dust in a basement or attic or storage room.

Comment

Thanks for the re-link Craig...
            That explained where this info came from....
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Studebaker-Canada was also being approached at that time by a Canadian company, CMI, which offered $7 million for Studebaker, the factory in Hamilton, and already had a deal with Toyota and Isuzu to assemble cars in Sydney, Nova Scotia (which they subsequently did). Perhaps that is why Nixon was told to call Grundy re: Toyota?

Craig

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

I don't know if this happened elsewhere but at least in the Canadian west after 1966 Nissan (known as Datsun at the time) signed up many ex Studebaker dealers. Datsun then had an instant dealership in place.
              In the early 70s in all my travels whenever I saw a Datsun dealer in an older building I would stop in and ask if they used to be a Studebaker dealer. Bingo!
              I found a lot of leftover Studebaker parts that way, gathering dust in a basement or attic or storage room.
              A sleuth Hudson enthusiast friend of mine did the same thing for years, locating facilities in distant towns that were former Hudson dealers.

He stopped in one place that was still a new-car dealer and engaged one of the old-timers, a co-owner. He was impressed with the nice, new showroom where they were talking and cars were displayed.

After the usual pleasantries, sleuth inquired as to the possibility of the dealership having any left-over Hudson parts. The reply, "You're standing on them! We didn't know what to do with them when we leveled the old building, so we shoved them into the basement and built this new showroom on top of the fill!"

OUCH! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have heard similar threats from my wife, and I was to be included in the flotsam and jetsam[:0]
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                <snip>
                After the usual pleasantries, sleuth inquired as to the possibility of the dealership having any left-over Hudson parts. The reply, [blue]"You're standing on them! We didn't know what to do with them when we leveled the old building, so we shoved them into the basement and built this new showroom on top of the fill!"

Jeff

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                  A sleuth Hudson enthusiast friend of mine did the same thing for years, locating facilities in distant towns that were former Hudson dealers.
                  He stopped in one place that was still a new-car dealer and engaged one of the old-timers, a co-owner. He was impressed with the nice, new showroom where they were talking and cars were displayed.
                  After the usual pleasantries, sleuth inquired as to the possibility of the dealership having any left-over Hudson parts. The reply, "You're standing on them! We didn't know what to do with them when we leveled the old building, so we shoved them into the basement and built this new showroom on top of the fill!"
                  Same thing happened to the Studebaker dealership in Frederick, Maryland- everything became landfill under the new Buick sales facility.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes, there has already been lots of discussion about this topic, because the Studebaker game plan did not include the manufacture or sale of cars in North America. Canadian management was unaware of the overall game plan.

Many considered the move to Canada to be a way of slowly shedding dealers at low cost.

In the end, after shedding the automotive part, Studebaker shares increased dramatically in price.

In fact, in general after companies shed employees, stock prices tend to increase.

Now, if only there were just enough employed and confident people left to buy cars.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E

After following this thread from the link, I found that article fascinating, but can't believe the price of a signed copy of Golden Phoenix..or one without. I'm in the wrong business. I may be able to buy another Stude just searching used book stores now. [:0]

Comment

Working...
                      X