Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best thing about your Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best thing about your Stude?

I would say the Bullet styling, different, its green paint, and it's dual side vented that flair out on both sides. And my rear side vent windows, and the my original Philco radio that still works. How about you? What do you love about your car?

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Old fond memories!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

2 things;A-The ability to lay rubber longer than I can keep it straight. (personal preference)
      B-The way it gets members of the older generation all fired up and waving!

Comment

I like all old cars, STUDEBAKERS are different and have a great STUDEBAKER community.
        quote:Originally posted by MyStude_Baker

I would say the Bullet styling, different, its green paint, and it's dual side vented that flair out on both sides. And my rear side vent windows, and the my original Philco radio that still works. How about you? What do you love about your car?

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I was at a car show last Sat. and a man I was talking to said he thought Bullet-nose Studebakers were ugly. My reply was they are very popular and that ugly is in the eye of the beholder!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

My parents bought a 53 Coupe (232 & OD) in 1956 which I thought was the most beautiful body style I had ever seen. I was allowed to drive this family car through high school and when I graduated, my parents gave it to me. I drove this car until 1963 and I've missed it since I sold it.
            I bought a 54 Coupe (259 & OD) a few years ago. When I drive it on a two lane country highway the familiar look, the sound (mellow exhaust) and the feel all take me back to the time when I was 18. That was a great time! The Studebaker Coupe is an old friend that knows me well.
            I also have a 63 R2 Hawk and a 64 Daytona HT. The 54 is my wife's favorite.

Comment

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'll get in on this one. The reason I like Studebakers is there a great conversation piece. I drive my Studebakers all the time. And there is always someone bringing a conversation about the Studebakers. You would be surprised how many Studebaker experts there are running around. The only car I have every owned that is more comfortable to ride in was a 96 Chrysler LHS. One time we were at Mammoth Cave in Ky. A guy walks up and said I don't know you but I know your car I seen it on I40 in Tennessee. And very few ask whats under the hood.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                Work on your Studebaker you will live longer.

Comment

Being different.
                  When finished, I'll have a very nice, show-worthy Avanti. A old (68-70) or new (2009) Mustang would cost about the same, but be a lot more common. Besides, I can drive the Avanti for the next 15-20 years before I go into a home and not lose much in depreciation.

Besides, it's a real auto design icon. Since I was too late to get a deal on a Cord convertible, this is the next best thing.

Finally, the club members are great.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Good topic, Glenn; I hope everyone chimes in.

The best thing about mine are that they take me back to a happier time; when Studebakers were in production and I could look forward to what they might introduce next. For a gearhead teen-ager in the early 60s; this was important stuff....no, not important; mandatory!

Today, the buying public's most fascinating consumer good is the personal computer and all the manifestations thereof; what the newest one can do and why it is better than the previous model. That spotlight used to fall on the automobile, especially domestic makes.

While Studebaker was a player and I was a cheerleader, times were good...even when they weren't so good in South Bend. But as long as new ones were leaving St. Joseph County IN, God was in His heaven and all was right with the world, and a trip to the three Indianapolis-area Studebaker dealers to see what was doin' was time well spent.

Today, I can hop in one of three Daytonas from their last year of South Bend production, fire up arguably the industry's most durable postwar V-8, with its own unique exhaust note for audible verification, and motor off as if it's 1964...until reality 'whups me up the side of the head and I see an odd-looking, purplish 4-wheeled jelly bean with plastic bumpers...oops, that's my ugly 1992 Taurus GAB (Generic Appliance Beater) in the drive on the other side of the property! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I enjoy all the benefits of ownership: the thumbs up from others while driving, the admiration of passers by & their comments ranging from "Oh, I remember those" to the latest from the driver that brought my Avanti home here "I've never seen one of these before" & "do you want to adopt a 41 year old teenager??" Here at the new house, I have people stop in front & if I'm out front they want to talk either they know someone with one or how they (or their best friend) had one when they were teens. Its a warm fuzzy feeling of pride you get even though they might need some work, they have some rust, the paint has gone dull or whatever, none the less, its PRICELESS!

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The best thing about our Stude is that it has been in my wife's family since before she was born in 1958. Her dad and uncle bought it from an insurance company after being totalled. They customized it in their body shop over about a 5-year period. While it resembles a mid 50's T-bird on the outside it is still all Studebaker under the hood (232 V-8) and on the dash/steering wheel. The second best thing is that it is a one-of-a-kind car and we have the freedom to improve it to being a daily driver as we wish. The third best thing is that it should be ready to be shown in a local car show in the next few weeks after a 5 1/2 year restoration process.

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Without a doubt, the styling is the best feature. As a kid, I thought the bullet nose Studes were the coolest cars on the planet - and still do. As mentioned earlier in this thread; a lot of people think these are the ugliest, most rediculous looking cars they have ever seen. This is a bonus of owning one. Whether you like them or not, they attract alot of attention. Another bonus of owning a Studebaker is the "time capsule effect" that they ALL carry. A true independent American made auto manufacturer that left its mark in automotive history. It doesn't get any better than that!

Chuck/Ohio...9G-C5

Comment

For me, it is the reactions of people who see it. Older folks have found memeories, young people are in amazement to see a 47 year old car on the road. It makes people happy. I also love the ease of getting in and out.

Comment

The attention our '63 Avanti gets when parked and thumbs up when rolling.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X