Tow dolly licensing and the tow car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow dolly licensing and the tow car

What are the requirements for the licensing of a car being towed with a tow dolly. Two wheels of the car are on the ground and rolling. Does that mean the car being towed also has to be licensed along with the tow dolly? Maybe different states have different regs?

Probably different states-different laws. In Illinois there is no plate for a tow dolly,but the car being towed needs plates.

Oglesby,Il.
    " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

AFAIK, here in CA if it touches a public road it has to have current REG and tags.

Comment

At least in NY, tow dollies require no license; nor does anything towed on it. The dolly needs lights (which they come with) and that's it. I use a set of those magnetic-base lights along with the dolly's lights when I have a car on for extra safety.

As has been documented here many times before, I haven't used my trailer in years. I've towed to and from most every state East of the Mississippi with no problems; in fact, a number of times police have pulled up at a stop to look at my latest treasure, and not one has ever questioned my dolly, or use thereof. I was told MA didn't allow them, but I've towed twice through there. Never a problem. Last July I towed the Skytop home from MA, and a Trooper pulled up at a truck stop to ask about the car; again, not a word about the dolly. Last trip was last Nov. from Sonny's in SC to NY with a Lark on board, 900 miles.

In spite of a few speculators, I have towed TENS of thousands of trouble-free miles with the dolly. Easy to load, fail-safe tiedown, easier (and cheaper) to tow, and MUCH safer. All you need is a few basic precautions: The rolling axle of the vehicle and it's tires must be serviceable; you have to allow a bigger turning radius; they don't back up well with a load; and you have to allow a longer stopping distance. Throw on a safety chain from the car to the dolly, and that's it! And if you're worried, the new ones come with brakes. My next one will have them.

As always, based on my real-life experience, I highly recommend them- especially to novice towers.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I too have towed many miles with both a dolly and trailer. I myself prefer the trailer. Can get in and out of places much easier, (dollies do not back up nice!) and like the positive feeling of the trailer with a good brake system. Regret having sold my trailer after I quit racing, it was perfect for most of what I would need it for now.

Have to admit, empty dollies are easier to handle (I put them in the bed of my truck enroute), too much bounce with the empty trailer even with the front wheels off.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

I bought my tow dolly in MI and moved to FL in '06. Neither state requires plates on the dolly or the car. When I bought my Daytona, it was in CA. I drove out, loaded it up and returned home. I was never bothered once. I wasn't bothered moving to FL either.

I believe your home state rules. Like Bob, I have a set of magnetic lamps to mount on the trunk for a little extra safety. I don't know that I'd use them on a car with nice paint though.

Check with the State of Ohio. Their rules will be primary. I doubt you'll ever be hasseled while out of state.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I haven't used a tow dolly, but I sure do like my trailer. Try hauling a Weasel on a tow dolly, eh? Or an inoperative vehicle. If I can get it ON the trailer, I can haul it.

Next project is to build a set of sideboards for the trailer so I can haul a load of scrap metal to the recyclers.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

I haven't used a tow dolly, but I sure do like my trailer. Try hauling a Weasel on a tow dolly, eh? Or an inoperative vehicle. If I can get it ON the trailer, I can haul it.
                Gord, neither of my '64's run (yet). Obviously a little easier with the Daytona with no engine or trans to load on a dolly. The Commander with the 6 & 3 speed could use an extra pair of hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Last time I used one Ohio and WV both require plates on the car being towed.Ohio used to sell one way passes at the highway patrol stations.

Comment

The trips I have made to Reedsville and Lancaster and South Bend in the past with the loads on Studebaker parts that i have could never have been done with a tow dolly, i have had dollies and the trailer is the best thing i ever did for hauling can use it for so much more. to each his own.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
                      you have to allow a longer stopping distance.
                      That's the one that gets me. You effectively DOUBLE the weight of your vehicle by towing another vehicle, but don't add any braking power (except for the dollys that have brakes, of course).

You can't ALLOW a longer stopping distance in all real driving situations.

I'll stick with my trailer with 4 wheel brakes and a state of the art electronic brake controller. (but then I don't play the lottery either )

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think it all boils down to usage.
                        There is no right,there is no wrong(contrary to some
                        beliefs)just what is right for your situation and comfort level.
                        While a tow dolly would never work for me a 1-ton car hauler
                        fits my situation perfectly.I can also pull either a trailer
                        or dolly behind it.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

What I was thinking of doing is tow a car with my 4 cyl Ranger pickup. I've pulled a trailer with Stude on it from Colo Springs to Cinci Oh with no problem. That trip was over pretty flat terrain. If I wanted to cross the Rockies I thought the dolly might work well. The weight would be way down and the wind resistance would be substantially reduced with the towed car running through the truck's draft. I guess I expect gas to return to the high prices in the future and would like a more economical method of towing.

Comment

Nels, I recently checked on that option from California to Ohio. I called the CHP main office in L.A.: On a full trailer with the car off of the pavement, no tags or registration for the car are required. With a tow dolly, YES. You can try it and hope, but if you are pulled over you will have your car impounded and fined. I would call every state along the way and ask what their state rules are. I haven't check our Ohio rules.

Comment

With a small truck like yours, I would DEFINITELY NOT use a trailer. You cannot get the tongue weight to a safe range. That's infinitely more dangerous than a dolly having no brakes.

IMO, the brake issue is blown out of proportion. Yes, you do effectively double the weight, but you frequently come close to that with a big load on anyway- and the brakes on modern vehicles are more than capable of handling the extra load. The exception: prolonged use of the brakes, such as descending a long grade. I've had to haul down from highway speeds fairly quickly on occasion, and haven't had any problem. As you already surmised, it's much lighter, therefore much cheaper and easier on the tow vehicle and driver. Another biggie is the MUCH lower Center of Gravity, which is HUGE in winds and any evasive maneuvers; and, you don't get that trailer fishtail. I usually tow with a full-size van or full-size pickup. The dolly is much easier and cheaper to use, and as outlined above, much safer!

Even so, I do have to make an exception; I cannot recommend using a dolly with your small truck, unless you get one that does have brakes. The Ranger, unlike the bigger vehicles, does not have the weight (particularly rear) to be able to safely handle it.

I would never recommend anything to anybody I knew would be unsafe- nor would I comment on perceived safety had I not actually done it personally. I'm speaking from both extensive experience, and genuine care for the readers.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X