Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diesel fuel in gasoline- anti vapor lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel fuel in gasoline- anti vapor lock?

I have heard the comment about adding diesel fuel to your gas tank to prevent vapor locks. I don't remember how much though. How does it prevent vapor lock? I know too much diesel is bad (don't ask me how I know). Then, would kerosene do the same thing?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I believe the Rx was 1 quart per tankful (might have been 1 gallon), but a quart wouldn't hurt anything right off. It does raise the octane (flashpoint) and in turn, reduces the tendency to vapor lock.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I tried a gallon per tank, car stumbled on the way home, had to turn on the electric pump. I think the diesel solution is an urban legend.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Diesel fuel does help reduce vapor lock but 1 gallon per tank full is four time too much. Try one quart.

Jim Caldwell
        "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

when I went to the Vegas international I had trouble with vapor lock until Iwas getting gas at a station outside of Denver and an old time mechanic told me to put a qt. of diesel in tank. It worked from there to Vegas and back to Mn.
          Jim

jrock

Comment

I'll stick with the return fuel line. It looks neat and doesn't vapor lock. Period.

Tom Bredehoft
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

I tried this trick last summer. It did not work for me. So far the only thing that has helped has been an electric fuel pump.

Carey
              Packard Hawk

Carey
              Packard Hawk

Comment

My question is- will kerosene do the same thing? I have 10 gallons of kero I bought just before my kerosene heater got knocked off a high shelf in my shop and smashed.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Make sure it is pure vapor lock too. My "vapor lock" symptoms were entirely due to crap in the tank and line. Cleaned that up and the car has never had a problem since.

Comment

My vapor lock turned out to be a mis-adjusted carbuerator float. I had every other fix on it except the electric fuel pump and none of them worked, cuz they weren't the problem.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I'm beginning to suspect improper float level, my 53 seems to run out of gas before peak revs under heavy acceleration. Like just before you shift into second it boggs down. It's OK if I stay away from on ramps and 1/8 mile traps.

Tom Bredehoft
                      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Ya Paul 10 gals. might be a bit to much, I remember and still have some if in the shop...Bob
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

My question is- will kerosene do the same thing? I have 10 gallons of kero I bought just before my kerosene heater got knocked off a high shelf in my shop and smashed.
                          You can run kerosene in a diesel engine, although you shouldnt run it straight because it runs a lot hotter. I was told that sometimes, truck drivers throw some in their tank to keep the diesel fuel from gelling in really cold weather. Although I am no expert, I think it would work the same as diesel fuel for your purpose. I'd put less in, though. Maybe just a cup to a tank full. You might also try dry-gas to see if it helps. You know for sure that it wont harm your engine.

Comment

Working...
                          X