PDA

View Full Version : 62 Hawk wheel question

parky
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Are the 62 Hawk wheels supposed to be on a 4 1/2" bolt pattern??
Is it Chevy or Ford??
I've heard that 62 was not the same as 63-64. Is that true??

Also, what after market wheel manufacturer has custom wheels that have the correct offset??

Thanks
Bob

62 GT Hawk

Dick Steinkamp
12-05-2006, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by parky

Are the 62 Hawk wheels supposed to be on a 4 1/2" bolt pattern??
Is it Chevy or Ford??
I've heard that 62 was not the same as 63-64. Is that true??

Also, what after market wheel manufacturer has custom wheels that have the correct offset??

All Studebaker cars from '51-66 were a five on 4 1/2" bolt pattern. This was shared by Ford and Chrysler (probably others). Chevy used a five on 4 3/4" pattern.

The '62's were the same bolt pattern as the 63 and 64's, however, the 63 and 64's had an additional "dimple" on the inner rim to clear the front disk brakes that were an option those years. 63-4 rims will work on a 62. 62 rims will work on a non disk brake 63-4.

I would guess most aftermarket wheel manufacturers would make a wheel that would fit your GT. What width are you looking for? What diameter? What style?

If you start getting much bigger than 6" x 15", backspacing becomes critical. There is a lot of room from the drum face to the spring in the rear...not much from the drum face to the wheel well lip. You can put a wheel wider than 6" in the back, but you'll then need more than 3" of backspacing. In the front, too much backspacing on a wide wheel will cause interference with the steering parts.

http://static.flickr.com/100/301465853_2dbe07b7c6_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

parky
12-05-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm looking at something like Weld Prostars or similar (maybe cheaper, too).
I really like your setup. You should not be allowed to show pics of your car on this website, as my drool is shorting out my keyboard.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of disc brakes in the future. I am probably getting into a 'cart before the horse' thing, but I really would like the wheels now. I'm not looking for any size bigger than 6x15.

bob

62 GT Hawk

Dick Steinkamp
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by parky

I'm looking at something like Weld Prostars or similar (maybe cheaper, too).
I really like your setup. You should not be allowed to show pics of your car on this website, as my drool is shorting out my keyboard.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of disc brakes in the future. I am probably getting into a 'cart before the horse' thing, but I really would like the wheels now. I'm not looking for any size bigger than 6x15.

bob

62 GT Hawk

Thanks, Bob [:I]. If you only want 6 x 15's, you've got a zillion choices. I'm pretty sure Weld makes the Prostars in 6 x 15. Just try to get 3" backspacing...they'll fit the best.

BTW, REAL Weld wheels are kind of expensive. They are THE BEST for motorsports, but do you really need a wheel that will take 5,000 HP [:0]

http://static.flickr.com/100/301465853_2dbe07b7c6_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

parky
12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I had a street rod, '31 model A, with all the goodies. It had Prostars and I pulled a small luggage trailer with the same wheels. The car was painted Porsche magenta as was the trailer. The wheels kinda stuck in my mind. It was a good combo.
Do you think 3" backspacing would work if I put Turner brakes on the Hawk?

thanks
bob

62 GT Hawk