259 and 289 interchange ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 and 289 interchange ?

I got a parts car for my 1957 Commander Custom. It has the chrome and some other parts I needed for my car.
    My car runs but has bad bearings its a 259 the parts car has a 289 I know the stroke is different then the 259 it's longer. I'm thinking the 259 and 289 is the same block so I'm wondering if I took the 289 crank with rods would it fit in the 259 ?

Yes, It will fit just fine. The rods are the same also. Use new pistons.

Comment

That's right. One word to the wise: if you use a 289 crank in what was formerly a 259 block, you will have to bore the block to the next standard oversize. If even lightly worn, the 259 block will have "steps" worn in the bore where the ring travel ended. The top "step" might be very close, but the bottom one sure won't be. If it didn't outright break rings, it sure would aggravate ring wear, and oil control might be a real problem.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the infor, One more thought is still going though my mind.... Seems to me if the pistons travel lower then they wouldn't travel as high up against the heads which would give me less compression and less power ? is using the 289's good crank going to be an advantage or a disadvantage in that respect?

Comment

Maybe you did not understand Wackers statement, you need to replace the PISTONS with 289 pistons which will have relocated wrist pin locations to put them near the top of the bore. And as Gordr said, you need to "clean-up" the bore with a fresh cut also.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

O.K. I was thinking along those lines but wasn't sure.

Comment

There is very little difference in power between the 259 and 289.
              The 289 has dished pistons that sometimes blow a hole.
              As far as i know the 259 is a better engine.
              Crankshaft for the 259 is cheap.
              It is just hype (it has a 289!!!)

Comment

Sounds like a good way to start an opinion war. The extra 30 cubes have got to be good for something, but you did say LITTLE difference. There are some fine running 259s out there.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hold on there--When you increase the stroke from a 259 to a 289 the piston goes down lower but also goes UP higher too; that's why you have to have a piston with a lower height; so it doesn't stick out of the top of the block.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rkapteyn

The 289 has dished pistons that sometimes blow a hole.
                    This is the first time anyone has EVER said this! Has anyone else heard of a 289 Engine ever, blowing a hole in it's PISTON? [:0]

The only way I can imagine that, would be someone running a '57 Golden Hawk with dished pistons, supercharger and way too lean a mixture, or on nitrous oxide!

The piston heads are every bit as thick or more, than a 259.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Sounds like a good way to start an opinion war.
                      That happens around here from time to time... [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:There is very little difference in power between the 259 and 289.
                        Depends on your definition. The equivalent 289" always makes at least 10% or 20hp more than the 259". Since they essentially cost the same to rebuild, assuming a good core, I'll always build a 289".

quote:The 289 has dished pistons that sometimes blow a hole.
                        Respectfully, Bob, I can't agree with this statement. Forty years of building Stude V8s and I've never seen a dish 289" piston "blow a hole." As Rich says, the 289" pistons are every bit as strong as those for a 259".

As an aside, those who are going to save money by building a "hot 259" instead of a 289" may be want to think on it. That first forty additional horsepower from a 289" crank and a .060" overbore to 299" is the least expensive horsepower available to us. Cam, carb, intake, head porting, exhaust, anything which adds horsepower to a 259+" will get approx 10%-15% more in a 299" at the same cost.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X