Rear Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Ends

Does anyone have measurements for the rear end of a Hawk (57). I need the distance between the leaf springs and also backing plate to backing plate. Also, anyone know of any other rear ends that will bolt in other than the Dana? Thanks

I don't have the measurement at hand, but if you do a search I know it has been discussed here before.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Maybe you have already found a replacement, I don't know but you want something from a narrower car than a Impala/Caprice or Galaxie/Crown Vic, you want an Aspen/Volare, Fifth Ave/LaBaron, Dodge Diplomat or Ford Granada/Merc. Monarch. These all had leave springs, like a Stude. so should be easier to fit than anything GM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or maybe a Ford 8.8" used in a Ranger or Explorer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Try a search using the search function in the upper right. Tons of info on this subject.

In a nutshell, Stude used a fairly narrow rear end until the very end. They don't exist that are as strong as the original Dana 44 and as narrow. You can narrow a Ford 9" or other heavy duty rear end, but you get about the same strength as a Dana 44 for a lot more money. In addition, you will most likely be moving spring perches around.

If you use a wider rear end, your wheel/tire choice is substantially limited to even narrower than will fit with the stock rear end.

If you are concerned about the keyed axles, Fairborn Studebaker sells a flanged axle conversion.

I've launched hard and turned 14's with my Corvette powered, close ratio 4 speed Starliner with keyed axles in the Dana 44 with a Richmond Gear locker with no problem.

Pure Stock Studes run as fast as the 12's with a Dana 44.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

A 57-59 Ford 9" will drop right in, spring pads are less than 1/2" different than the Stude. You will have to push the springs in or out a tiny bit, where they fit on the bolts that hold the spring together. But good luck finding them, I had to fight with Currie 25 years ago, as he was buying them up for $50 apiece.

Comment

Working...
            X