speculate on engine life of partial flow engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speculate on engine life of partial flow engines

How about a poll on how long the studebaker engines with partial flow would last before having to be repaired?

IMHO, with today's oils, regular oil and filter changes and ignition/carb maintenance, the partial flow engines will live as long as a full-flow. It is more a matter of convenience than filtering ability.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

I don't have a filter on my partial flow 259.
      Just change the oil often.

While I've never done any experiments on how much oil ACTUALLY...passes thru this type system...I'd be willing to bet it will take a long while for all of the oil to actually find its way to the filter.
      Despite the experts telling me otherwise from something they heard or read.

Mike

Comment

My '58's 259 has 95 thouasand miles on the odometer, with no oil filter. I highly doubt the engine has ever been into. The engine still runs smooth and strong today. I think it depends more on routine maintenence, and how you drive, than anything else.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

My Daddy drove a 1937 Chevrolet 100,000 miles with out a filter or detergent oils. He did pull the pan once and clean the deposits out of the crank case. Back then 1000 miles was and oil change.

Comment

Well thanks ! So it's settled they will last a long time.

Comment

Keep the oil fresh, make sure the oil has enough zinc in it, and the engine should live a long time. Stude engines are tough, years ago I ran a 259 with NO OIL PRESSURE ten miles! When I tore it down I found I could have fixed the oil pump and kept using it!

Charles Eck
              Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
              '66 Ford F-250
              '66 Ford F-100
              '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

The previous 289 in my 62 Champ was at 170,000 miles when it started to burn a little oil due to worn valve guides. It was otherwise runnng strong with good oil pressure. I had decided to put in a rebuilt 289 figuring the old engine was likely due for an overhaul. When I pullrd it apart, I found the only real wear was in the cylinders, about .013". Not bad at all. I changed the oil every 3000 miles.

Fred
                Fred

Comment

WV Beetles had no oil filter at all, and, given fresh oil changes with good oil would run way past 100K.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

WV Beetles had no oil filter at all, and, given fresh oil changes with good oil would run way past 100K.
                    Yep, but you have to remember to clean the screen!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Now I didn't know about the vw engine not having a oil filter. Good to know. Weird how they came up with an idea for a oil bath aircleaner.

Comment

I had experience with VW's back in the '70's and as I recall there was a screen at the bottom of the engine you could take out and clean. Not a filter, but I guess their best interpretation of one.

Comment

The PO's son didn't like the oil filter on my 52 and removed it.I drove that car all over to meets and other trips for over 20 years and never had a problem, but the oil got changed fairly often.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

My 27 Dictator has a screen in the oil pan the same as the Beetle. According to my owners manual, the oil change interval is 500 miles or one month, whichever comes first.[:0] In severe service conditions the interval is 300 miles.[:0][:0] It also says the oil pan should be removed and cleaned every six months, more often in severe conditions.[:0][:0][:0]

Tells you how much oils have changed over the years and how different driving conditions are now. I can even use ZDDP reduced oil in it because it doesn't have flat tappets.

Terry Godkin
                            Surrey, British Columbia

Comment

We just need to remember that during the '50s, many cars came with the oil filter as an option. My '59 Lark VI doesn't have an oil filter, but I change the oil every year. I only drive it about 600 miles each year. The engine still runs strong and doesn't burn any oil. So, I guess I'm doing something right.
                              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X