Enjoyed It While It Lasted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoyed It While It Lasted

It's a sad night at the Smith household. We have decided to retire our efforts to revive/restore Karl the Lark.

This has been a very difficult decision for us to make, but one that just seems to make the most sense (all emotions and pride aside). As much as we would like Karl to live on, our lack of mechanical expertise is a huge stumbing block in this particular effort. Although we could continue to work a little here and a little there as we have in the past (this is how we pulled our truck together) as funds become available, the amount of time this would take away from our kids, our family, and our home was something we seriously needed to consider. We love Studebakers and being Studebaker owners, but we have learned the hard way here that to be able to best enjoy a vehicle, we need to find one that is more within our limits. We are just in too much over our heads. While we seriously don't mind the challenges of owning an older vehicle and we enjoy learning about them and meeting others who can help us along the way, we don't want to kill ourselves in the process (literally or figuratively!)

We are not going to sell Karl, but want to find a good home for him where he will be used and appreciated. He will be free to someone who is willing to take the whole car, as we need to free up our garage space. We would love to see him go to someone in the SDC. Please contact us if you have an interest. Here are the pertinent details: Karl is a '60 Lark VIII, 2 door, does have a title, and is located in Phoenix, AZ. (Any additional parts that we have obtained for him will be returned to their original owners.) He is not running, but has the potential to do so. Tracy will probably cry when he leaves, but knows he deserves more than we have to offer him. (Yes, she knows he is not a puppy!)

In the meantime, Valentine's Day is coming. Anyone looking to sell a '59-'60 Lark that runs and doesn't require us to update our tetanus shots? We are starting to explore some other options to help Tracy through the grieving process...

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

I know that wasn't an easy decision. I think a decent driver with less stress will find its way into your lives soon. [^]
    Edit: I'm with Bams on this one. Can't take another car right now. It may be time to circle the wagons, but not with cars.

Comment

I went back and read what I wrote in your previous thread. I didn't comment further because I was overrun with those who disagreed, and made me rethink my thoughts; they didn't change.

I do feel you made the right decision. You are valued additions to the Forum and the Club, and my advice was based solely on what would help you in the long run, and ultimately keep you here and loving Studes. I hope you didn't think I had any other motive.

You're on the right track- get one that's closer to being done. That would be a much better fit with your experience level, and schedule. That will allow you to achieve what the hobby is supposed to be about- enjoying a taste of the past, as opposed to becoming frustrated and burned out, and ultimately soured on the hobby. I would love to be the one that gets Karl back on the road, but cannot presently take on the shipping. Don't worry about the ol' duffer- I'm sure he will find a home with someone equipped to handle his long list of issues, and will continue on for many more years. Meantime, all the best in your search; we'll all be keeping our eyes open for a suitable candidate for you- and cheering you on!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob, we did not think negatively of your response (or anyone else's) at all. One of the things we appreciate about this forum is getting straightforward opinions and answers to our questions. Thanks for your support and kind words!

John and Tracy Smith

Comment

Good on you both for having the good sense to get to this point and the guts to move on. Difficult decision, but it sure looks like the right one from here.

There's another Lark out there, somewhere, in running condition with your name on it... if only because you've been generous toward all of us here on these forums and are being generous about giving Karl a new home and these things have a way of coming back around. I like to call it "carma," but people have a tendency to groan and throw tomatoes...

Looking forward to reading the next installment in this continuing saga.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
          In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
          If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

It's a sad night at the Smith household. We have decided to retire our efforts to revive/restore Karl the Lark.
            Your friendly ol gray haired daddy thinks you made the right decision. And even though i waxed on about cutting him up into KTDTH, the car is restorable and someone out there with the time and assets will get him back on the road again.

Who ever gets him i hope they retain the name (he is semi-famous now) and keeps you two in the loop of his future rebirth.

So i may not get to help you with this one. But i look forward to another smith family road trip to bring another newby home. Sandwich's and kool aid on me.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear you're not getting along with Karl. I'd volunteer to take him in if I was closer. After all, I bid on him too. It's sad really, but there it is. I have a Lark wagonaire here that is a running, viable car, but also probably too far away. Not to mention it's a '63 not the vintage you're asking for. Pity, I think Karl'd have looked cool tooling around the mountains here...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

C'mon, Ron, you know you want to get that Wagonaire going yourself! I've asked you for a price a couple times, but although you've mentioned wanting to sell, you never actually gave one... methinks it will crowd ol' Bess aside eventually

Just as well, though, I can't currently take on another car anyway

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Email me your phone number. I'm leaving for Arizona on Monday.

claudeski@netzero.com

Claude Chmielewski
                  Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                  47 M-16 Truck
                  62 GT Hawk
                  63 Lark
                  64 Commander Wagonaire
                  50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                  63 GT Hawk R2
                  [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
                  1936 Dictator
                  1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                  1953 Commander Regal HT
                  1953 2R5 Pickup
                  1947 M16 Truck
                  1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                  1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                  1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                  1963 GT Hawk R2
                  1964 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Look at the bright side, you two are already jumping back on the horse and ready to find another. I imagine your mailbox will be filled with multiple mentions of the same car, where ever it's located.

A valentines Love Lark[:X].......John.....better get shopping[:0] theres only a week left.[)]

ChopStu
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Actually, Tracy's not even limiting herself to a Lark....Hmm, this could get scary! We got excited over a beautiful '50 Commander we found, but found out it had already been sold. Bummer!

Well, the right car is out there somewhere. As long as it can hold all four of us, we are keeping our options open. We welcome any great leads!

John and Tracy Smith
                      Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

John & Tracy,
                        I sent you an e-mail last night about Karl.
                        Did you receive it?

George
                        Grants Pass, Oregon
                        65 Commander 2door
                        64 Wagonaire's ( 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)

63 GT Hawk
                        51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                        George King
                        Grants Pass, Oregon
                        64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

George,
                          We just sent you an e-mail.

John and Tracy

Comment

John & Tracy- I am still a believer in buying the best car you can afford to start and then upgrade it a little at a time. There should be something out there for you.
                            Denny L

Comment

I just sent you an email about Karl, just making sure you got it. He would belong to a fourth generation Studebaker driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X