Switching to An Automatic Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to An Automatic Transmission

I own a '53 Starlight Commander with a 3-speed manual on the column. The engine is the original 232 V-8. We are considering an automatic transmission which would allow my wife to drive it.

Some Questions:
    1)Is a floor mounted shifter the best/only option?
    2)Is there a specific make I should consider?
    3)Will this switch result in the likelihood of more transmission problems?
    4)What will be the approximate cost including labor?

Please inclue any other comments you deem appropriate. Thanks!

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Hi, Tim,

The easiest, best, most cost-effective swap is a later Studebaker Flightomatic or Powershift tranny. You can get an every-last-nut-and-bolt conversion from a donor Stude. With luck, it will be attached to a good 259" or 289". The GM tranny with adapter swaps are nice, but difficult to do correctly for less than $2k.

(Yes, here comes the guy who found a perfect 'Vette tranny at the Pik 'n Pull on half-price day and a brother-in-law is a NASCAR mechanic and they did the whole swap in a weekend for a case of beer - do not believe this. I build a lot of cars and a dependable rebuilt 700R4, 200-4R or TH350 in a Studebaker costs $2k when it is all done.)

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8
      The GM tranny with adapter swaps are nice, but difficult to do correctly for less than $2k.

IMHO, a rebuilt GM TH700R4 or TH2004R and the adapter to the Stude engine is going to cost you most of that $2k. Then (if you are going to pay to have the swap done), there is labor to remove the current engine and trans, fabricating a trans mount, changing the driveshaft length, probably replacing the steering column with one from an automatic, fabricating shift linkage, fabricating TV cable linkage, replacing the engine and trans. You would probably also need a rear end gear change. My GUESS would be maybe 60 hours at a pro shop for this or another $3k or so.

Installing a later Stude FOM is not going to be much different. All of the above would still apply.

Installing a '53 automatic may save a few bucks on fabricating things like drive shaft, mounts, linkage, but it still isn't going to be cheap if a rebuilt trans is involved....but at least the car would still be original.

A stock '53 Starlight with a 3 speed manual is more desirable than one with an automatic. They are peppier, more dependable, and cheaper to fix if they break. How about buying your wife an automatic Stude?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Your thread in the 'Tech' section has an answer. Two folks doing the reverse of the other- and close-by to boot!!! What are the odds of that happening again??? I'd go with it. Looks to be your BEST way to go...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment