Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a fair price-1946 M15A Flatbed ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a fair price-1946 M15A Flatbed ??

I have a friend interested in buying this truck. It appears in very good condition
    but not show by any means. He is interested in what the forum truck guys
    think is a fair price.
    Thanks for the input.

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

I have a friend interested in buying this truck. It appears in very good condition
    think is a fair price.
    I've got a '46 M15A-28 just like that one (except mine is not as pretty ).

The one your friend is looking at has the fairly rare (not that it makes it worth any more) 20" Budd wheels (not to be confused with the 20" wheels used on the M16's. Mine has those also and I haven't seen another until now.

Hard to say on the price. Big trucks aren't that popular due to the need for something bigger than a garage to store them in, and the fact that road speed is either "slow" or "disapointing" depending upon your point of view . I'd say if it's as good as it looks (and it looks VERY good []), runs stops and drives good, has decent tires (they ain't cheap), is not rusty, is all there, and everything works (there ain't much to break )...maybe $3-5k. That's my guess.

What does the guy want for it?

Guido and/or studelark are far more expert on these than I am. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

think is a fair price.
      I've got a '46 M15A-28 just like that one (except mine is not as pretty ).

The one your friend is looking at has the fairly rare (not that it makes it worth any more) 20" Budd wheels (not to be confused with the 20" wheels used on the M16's. Mine has those also and I haven't seen another until now.

Hard to say on the price. Big trucks aren't that popular due to the need for something bigger than a garage to store them in, and the fact that road speed is either "slow" or "disapointing" depending upon your point of view . I'd say if it's as good as it looks (and it looks VERY good []), runs stops and drives good, has decent tires (they ain't cheap), is not rusty, is all there, and everything works (there ain't much to break )...maybe $3-5k. That's my guess.

What does the guy want for it?

Guido and/or studelark are far more expert on these than I am. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Gary Hearn's the man; right up his alley!

What about it, Guido?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Gary Hearn's the man; right up his alley!

What about it, Guido?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

As Dick mentions, there are only a few of us crazies that collect the bigger trucks. I currently have 9 that are 1 ton or larger which probably puts me in the top 15 or so nationally. Without actually viewing the truck to determine its condition and the quality of the workmanship, I would think it is in the $3000 - $5000 range as dick indicates.

As a M-15A it will have the small 170 CID Champion motor, so it will be slow and underpowered with a 4 speed (and no overdrive). Prices have changed a bit since 1976 when I bought my first M15A (with a transplanted Commander motor) for $40.00. By the way, it also ran!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

As Dick mentions, there are only a few of us crazies that collect the bigger trucks. I currently have 9 that are 1 ton or larger which probably puts me in the top 15 or so nationally. Without actually viewing the truck to determine its condition and the quality of the workmanship, I would think it is in the $3000 - $5000 range as dick indicates.

As a M-15A it will have the small 170 CID Champion motor, so it will be slow and underpowered with a 4 speed (and no overdrive). Prices have changed a bit since 1976 when I bought my first M15A (with a transplanted Commander motor) for $40.00. By the way, it also ran!

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
                I currently have 9 that are 1 ton or larger which probably puts me in the top 15 or so nationally.
                You're dreamin', Gary. 9 puts you clearly in first place [8D]

(I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing )

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
                  I currently have 9 that are 1 ton or larger which probably puts me in the top 15 or so nationally.

(I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing )

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                    There are people like Chuck Naugle who have much larger collections than I do and I suspect there are others that may not be part of the club who have them stashed away.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                      There are people like Chuck Naugle who have much larger collections than I do and I suspect there are others that may not be part of the club who have them stashed away.

Comment

Thank You all !! My friend is "re-thinking" the purchase based on your assessments.
                        The seller is asking $8000. He recently had a complete overhaul done on the brakes.
                        The photos of the interior and chassis show the truck had good care. It has some
                        "celebrity" prestige since it was owned by Kristy Allee (CHEERS TV series). We both
                        agreed that wasn't worth the difference between you guys high estimate of $5000
                        and the asking price. In addition, the shipping costs were around $1500.
                        I guess the appropriate sign off is:
                        Cheers !

1950 Champion Starlight
                        1963 Hawk GT
                        Santa Barbara
                        CA
                        Santa Barbara
                        CA

Comment

Thank You all !! My friend is "re-thinking" the purchase based on your assessments.
                          The seller is asking $8000. He recently had a complete overhaul done on the brakes.
                          The photos of the interior and chassis show the truck had good care. It has some
                          "celebrity" prestige since it was owned by Kristy Allee (CHEERS TV series). We both
                          agreed that wasn't worth the difference between you guys high estimate of $5000
                          and the asking price. In addition, the shipping costs were around $1500.
                          I guess the appropriate sign off is:
                          Cheers !

1950 Champion Starlight
                          1963 Hawk GT
                          Santa Barbara
                          CA
                          Santa Barbara
                          CA

Comment

It has some "celebrity" prestige since it was owned by Kristy Allee (CHEERS TV series).
                            She must have sold it after losing so much weight.[}]

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It has some "celebrity" prestige since it was owned by Kristy Allee (CHEERS TV series).
                              She must have sold it after losing so much weight.[}]

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X