The Hardest to Find Post WWII Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hardest to Find Post WWII Stude?

Looking at the "77 Studebakers For Sale" thread below reminded me of a question that I have long wanted to ask on the forum: What is the rarest 1946+ Stude passenger car? I have often thought it would be the '53 or '54 Starlight or Starliner because it seems very few of them are ever for sale. Your opinions?

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

Looking at the "77 Studebakers For Sale" thread below reminded me of a question that I have long wanted to ask on the forum: What is the rarest 1946+ Stude passenger car? I have often thought it would be the '53 or '54 Starlight or Starliner because it seems very few of them are ever for sale. Your opinions?

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    1951 Commander business coupe. One made.
    1958 Broadmoor wagon One made.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by paintim613
      I have often thought it would be the '53 or '54 Starlight or Starliner because it seems very few of them are ever for sale.
      Of those, the '54 Starliner would be hardest to find because of the low production numbers...

1953 Starliner 32,294
      1953 Starlight 46,346

1954 Starliner 9,432
      1954 Starlight 18,186

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

There is a difference, then, over which is most rare vs. which is most sought after. Being most sought after sometimes creates the rarity of availability of the model which is hoarded more than others. I think I have one of the most hoarded cars Studebaker ever made. A 64 Daytona 2 door Hardtop, R2 4 speed, Full Package car. I still have not found out how many were made, though I believe its in the 200 range. The only major difference is that it may be coming up for sale. Which then may make it no longer one of the rarest available, but still one of the rarest.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

That's easy. A 1947 Commander 2 door sedan. I only know of two in existence. Try to prove me wrong.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Sal, I don't think the aim of this question carries out as far as specific equipment - strictly, model of car. One could pick thru production records and find some truly oddly-equipped cars if original configuration were a defining factor.

As Craig mentioned, those two cars where only one of each was built - those have to be among the rarest. Then we can go to something like the 159 '58 Packard wagons that were produced - or further along like the 57 President 2-dr I have an example of, 840 of which were built.
            Of course, the survival rate has to be factored in. With that consideration, some of the cheapest cars turned out might well be some of the rarest there are. Fleet models and Scotsmans probably got the heave-ho once they were shot. And later as Studes started to grow in popularity as collectible, I imagine alot of Scotsmans and Lark Standards served more as parts donors than something someone wanted to pour resto money into.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My guess would have been the nine factory equipped R-3 Avanti's. Maybe George Krem could answer to how many survived. Followed by 1957 Golden Hawk "400"s with 51 made and only 9 know to survived. The first and 7th of the "show" cars and seven of the production cars. The first production "400" is in SNM. "400" data per Tom Lawlis' Roster of "400".

Comment

Here we go again. [:0] I'll try to stay out of it this time. [^]
                My opinions can be found in the last thread along these lines.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
                San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I heard it was a 53C body coupe-Special Order.
                  It had no options, and came with a prototype
                  259 hi-comp. engine with 4 barrel and dual
                  exhaust. Equipped with a 3 speed w/od, and a
                  4.27 rear end. It was built to be a factory
                  drag car. Wanna see a picture, maybe I can post
                  one later.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

'46 Champion 2 door.[8]

Comment

I know the 51 Commander business coupe hasn't ever turned up, but has anyone ever heard about the 58 Broadmoore being around?

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

That's easy. A 1947 Commander 2 door sedan. I only know of two in existence. Try to prove me wrong.
                        Here's one... (May be a '48 though; not sure).

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, that's a 1948. Keep trying. The 1947 Commander 2 door sedan is an extremely rare car.
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think the way to tell a '47 is the front bumpers wrap around the fenders and the guards are a different style than the '48 pictured.

One of the '47's Scott mentions I saw at a auction in northern MN a couple years ago. Baby blue color and unrestored. Hopefully its in good hands now. It didn't sell since it did not meet reserve.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Here is a link to a good photo at Pike's Peak showing the 1947 Commander 2 door sedan that was used in the hill climb in 1947. http://www.ppihc.com/detail.aspx?det...6photomode%3d5
                              Not only are these cars practically nonexistent, so is any advertising for them. I've looked, and I'll make a friendly wager that no-one here can even find a picture or photo of one used in any Studebaker advertising.

Comment

Working...
                              X