Two weeks, and counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weeks, and counting

Two weeks ago, I endeavored to remove the steering wheel from my 62. I put the puller on it, squirted everthing with penetrating oil, and of course, it did nothing[xx(].
    I have continued to apply penetrating oil, take the puller off, put it back on, retighten, hold my tongue differently, etc.etc. Nothing. Am I just being too impatient? Really don't want to break anything either.

I would put the puller back on and apply the max presuure you are comfortable with and let it sit under pressure for a day or two. Then tap the top of the puller with a hammer , gently of course several times. It may just pop right off. And make sure you are holding your tongue correctly. Just my thoughts.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Chuck, I don't know what puller you are using and it has been some time since I have had to pull a wheel. KGlowacky, seems to have it right but for some details ... If my memory is correct, you leave the large retaining nut on the shaft with it being just a thread or two above flush. Bridge over the nut with a substantial piece of metal and then place the center of your hub puller on that and apply pressure. The sharp rap with a hammer as Ken suggest should result in a noticable "Pop" when the wheel breaks loose. I think "holding your tounge correctly" means keeping it from between your teeth so you don't bite it when the wheel breaks loose! Good luck.

John Clary
      Greer, SC
      I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

With pressure on the puller,good deal of pressure,
        put your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, arms outstreatched,
        alternate your ,very firm, pulling from side to side in a
        rocking motion. Has worked on about 10,000.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I doubt you're using the proper cusswords for the job.[}] if it's not off by now.

Oglesby,Il.
          " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Seriously,I think you're being too PATIENT!! I've pulled a few wheels where I thought I was gonna strip the bolt on the puller. Wear safety glasses,tighten it to where your comfortable,then tighten it a little more.then give it the aforementioned rap with a hammer.[BFH]
            Just be sure the nut is on the shaft so you don't mushroom the end of the shaft.

Oglesby,Il.
            " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I've never needed a puller on any '61 and up wheels. Removing the bolt and hammering on the backside with a rubber mallat has always done the trick for me. Earlier wheels are a different story though.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well, strong arms yanking, and pounding away with hammers, and no puller .... I always wondered where all those cracks came from I see on so many Studebaker steering wheels!
                [img][/img]

John Clary
                Greer, SC
                I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

When pulling the steering wheel on an Avanti, don't put your knees behind the wheel and apply upward pressure. I broke the horn bar on mine by doing so. They are not cheap.
                  Allen

Comment

I removed the wheel on my 55 last year after the car had sat for 30 years, no reason to think it had been off since first assembly. I removed the nut, screwed it back on, (enough to keep the wheel on if it jumped off) and tapped the back with a soft face hammer just to get a feel for it. When I hit it, it jumped up and hit the nut.

I sure didn't need a puller on it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                    Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                    (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks guys, It has sat under tension for the entire two weeks. I beat on the back of the wheel at one point, with a rubber hammer, and knocked a chunk of the wheel off. As far a torque on the puller, I broke one of the little bolts that go into the wheel. I now balance the two bolts exactly, and use a 1/2" drive ratchet to tighten the center bolt on the puller. The puller is a basic steering wheel puller. Won't striking the bolt mess up the bearings in the collar? Also, there is not enough room around the puller to put the bolt on. I will furnish pics as soon as I get off the road this week. I have done this before, and it wasn't near this hard.

If I didn't need to change the cancellator for the turn signals, I wouldn't even be trying this.

Comment

Working...
                      X