Studebaker Tucker stand in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Tucker stand in

I've been wandering through the internet looking for good pictures of the Studebaker that was customized to look like a Tucker for the movie. I found a couple of pictures of the car rolling over on the race track and upon close examination, you can see that it is a Studee. I ran across something that said the car is now at the Tallahassee Automobile museum. Has anyone seen the car and does anyone have any quality pictures of it? I would like to put an article in our newsletter about the car and would like a better quality picture.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

It was for sale in Turning Wheels afew years back.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
    47 M-5
    Izzer Buggy
    Junior Wagon
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Yes, it is in the Tallahassee Auto Museum. At least it was the last time I was down there.

Here's some pics I found online.

Looks to me like they started with a '50 Land Cruiser.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Oh, man! That second pic definitely belongs in a "CARS" movie, or be a characiture with a caption under it. It's just BEGGING for attention and an attitude. It'd be funny if it didn't make me cry.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Looks to have an early 52-54 Oldsmobile hubcap on the front and a 55 Buick on the rear.Also the whitewalls are wider in front than the rear.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Matthew, Your the "MAN". Great pictures. I hate to see any Studebaker sacrificed for a movie but I suppose it's only fair since they built a few more Studebakers than Tuckers. Looks like the taillights were made out of wood. It's even more obviously a Studebaker when you see it up close. It's amazing what Hollywood can get away with for a 1 or 2 second shot in a film.

Jon Stalnaker
            Editor, Hawk Talks
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

That car is now on display on the second floor of the new museum. Still in all it's dented glory...
              The second floor is far from being filled, although they are working on it. They also have a "real" Tucker (I forget which #) and a display engine along with more Tucker stuff.

StudebakerGeorge

Comment

That is pretty cool I must stop and look at it next trip to Sarasota

62 GT Hawk
                84 vette
                31 Ford Pickup
                2005 Maxima
                2006 CTSV
                Gravely 17hp Pro
                Gravely Walker 10HP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudebakerGeorge

That car is now on display on the second floor of the new museum. Still in all it's dented glory...
                  The second floor is far from being filled, although they are working on it. They also have a "real" Tucker (I forget which #) and a display engine along with more Tucker stuff.

StudebakerGeorge
                  NEW museum??? I need to get back down there!!! According to the Tucker site, #1005 is the one sitting at DeVoe's place.

It's More Than A Museum... It's A Journey Through History

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Wow cool Pix Matt,
                    That is a pretty neat replica even after they rolled it. Looks like most of the sheet metal that bent up badly is the tinfoil they added for the film, the "Stude" part of it stood up pretty well, considering what it has been through, from the looks of it.

55 Commander

Hero Car Ranch; Seattle, Wa.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                    KARR (Knightrider)
                    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Reminds me of the '50 Champion in the 1985 movie "Mischief". Plows into a '55 Chevy convertible and totals out the front of the Chevy, and the Stude maybe has a broken taillight. Unfortunately, they don't stop there. Great movie, tho.

Comment

If you go back and watch the movie "Mischief" again you'll notice that during the scence when he drives into the '55 Chevy they use a '50 and a '51 Studebaker.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Good pics, Matthew. Thanks. They did a good job making it look like a Tucker, didn't they? ...or did Raymond Loewy do a good job massaging Alex Tremulus' 1948 Tucker design for the 1950 Land Cruiser?[:0][}] BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It looks to me like the important part that they had to get right, the rear section was all or mostly made of fiberglass and is very realistic looking! [^]

As I remember, most of the scene was shot from the Left Side/Rear, 45 degrees. So the front end didn't need to be perfect.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They really did do a good job making the Stude look like a Tucker. Loved the movie, in fact I wouldn't mind seeing it again.
                              I'm glad that the Stude stand-in for the Tucker in the movie still exists.
                              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X