Stude Photo Shop Shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Photo Shop Shoot

I somehow managed to move out of my shop of 11 years this last weekend. It was a lot of work and I'm happy to finally be done with it. I had way too much stuff but was able to find new homes for most of it. Fortunately Dick S. was able to stop through and pick up my unwanted Studebaker parts.

Anyway, here are a few pics I thought I would share.

I had to re-assemble my '54 project so I could move it. It had not been back together since I first stripped it down and removed the body from frame. As I started to put it back together, I realized I had a serious Rat Rod on my hands!!!! I just love the orange Earl Sheib and grey Dupont primer combo. I'm tempted to find and install a decent runnin' Stude V8 and just drive it as is , but I am likely going to have to sell it.

And the Avanti is ohh soo very close to being done. Just a bunch of little stuff left to do, but I want to be sure to maintain the build quality so the little things aren't really all that little. Being the record speed breaking car that it is, it went faster than it ever has since I've owned it as I rolled it off the transport trailer and into its new diggs -a brand new empty 5000 SqFt warehouse.

Nice.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Man! I'm jealous! That's a far cry from the old pole barn (named the "Man Cave") where my Stude's reside. Mine sit on dirt floors paved with 4" blocks and old conveyor belts for moisture barrier. I wouldn't know what to do with smooth concrete and no wind blowing through the gap at the bottom of the walls! The main advantage of my structure is when the tax assessor comes by. They don't know whether to set a taxable value or issue a ticket for littering! My barn started with 4 poles and old rusty used barn tin. It was 18ft. X 12ft. just enough to get my truck out of the sun. Everytime I aquired another car, I would ad more poles, wood, and tin. Now it is about 40ft. wide and 64ft long. I even added walls and doors along the way!
      [img][IMG][/IMG][/img]

John Clary
      Greer, SC
      I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Neat cars and shop. I built a new 30X40 building and it stayed clean for about 3 days. 2 cars a bunch of motors and lawn equipment. It's already crowded. But I work on my cars under the house.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
        As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Must be a pretty good sized crawl space.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Must be a pretty good sized crawl space.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Does basement come to mind. Semi warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The other day it was 9 degrees outside and it was 48 degrees in the basement.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
            As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

I had a good friend, who has passed away, that had a very nice house with a basement garage. While working on his car, he caught it on fire and nearly burned his house down. I wonder how many homes have been destroyed with car fires in basement or attached garages? There is probably some government or insurance statistic somewhere.
              [img][/img]

John Clary
              Greer, SC
              I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

These are both real neat cars. Will has done just a beautiful job on them so far. Only the best to start with and exceptional construction.

I really love the wheels on the Avanti. [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

The more I see those wheels, the better I like them. And I really liked them to begin with.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Let me see.....with 5000 sq.ft. of space and with a Stude occupying, say, 200 sq.ft., that means your collection has room for 23 more Studes!!

I have two for sale......

Seriously - a nice space to have! Lucky guy.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                    47 M-5
                    Izzer Buggy
                    Junior Wagon
                    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I wish I owned the new shop!!

I had started looking for short term storage for my Studes prior to leaving my old shop. And thanks to Craigslist and a smart land developer, I found this great new home for them.

The new shop is currently on the market along with a few others. Knowing it's unlikely they'll sell anytime soon in this economy, the owner/builder posted an ad for indoor vehicle storage space. I worked a deal with him for my two cars, and he's collecting a few hundred bucks in rent between my cars and his friends boat and camper.

It's a win win for all

Comment

The cars really look awesome. Be sure to post the completion pics.

Comment

What kind of car are the wheels from and did you have to use any kind of adapters or spacers? thanks jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jimmijim-

The wheels are the 2005 and newer Mustang wheels made to look like the old Hlibrands. They can be picked up cheap since a lot of people replace them with fancier wheels. I bought mine for $300 with new tires.

My Avanti has a Phantom front end which narrows the track width and uses Granada spindles. I also have Turner rear discs -so it's not exactly a stock install.

But I can tell you that the wheels are 16" and are offset inward -so it's pretty easy to get them to fit. I purchased machined aluminum spacers/adaptors on Ebay for less than $50 to get the wheels where I wanted them. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

I noticed a GT Hawk(pg.55) and an Avanti(pg.56) in the Jan '09 TW sporting the same wheels -and I doubt they have Phantom front ends-so I'm pretty sure with the right thickness spacer you could successfully run these wheels on Studebakers with stock suspensions. The main thing to consider is adequate clearance for the Studebaker kingpins.

Comment

Working...
                            X