Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help ID'ing particulars of 63 Truck

Howdy - I'm new to the forum...

...father recently passed away and he had a 63 Studebaker PU that he was planning on restoring. I've got some basic information on it including serial # etc....but am hoping to acquire a line sheet on it.

Can anyone in this forum help me out on first steps?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Mom is looking to get the truck off her hands sometime in the next year and we're trying to get a better handle on what she actually has. All we know so far is that it's a 63, V8...and all the parts seem to be in boxes around the truck. To the best of our knowledge, it hasn't been registered since '85....body is straight w no dents...and we seem to have all the glass...interior is in OK shape...but upholstery will need to be redone or at least cleaned.

Hello Taengel; welcome to the SDC Forum! here is the link you need to get to the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN to order a Production Order.

Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

If it is a '63, the Truck will be a MODEL NUMBER 8E-XX-XX indicating a 1963 or 1964, a 5 following the 8E will be a 6 Cyl. a 7 a V-8 in a half ton, or a 10 is a 6 Cyl. 3/4 Ton, a 12 is a V-8 3/4 Ton followed by a 12 for a 112in. wheelbase or a 22 for a 122 in. wheelbase. All this is if it EVEN IS a Pickup, it COULD be larger. If it is a Champ with the '60 Lark cab it is known as a "T" Cab, T4 for standard cab, T6 for Deluxe cab.

The 4 to 5 digit numeric number at the top of the serial Number Plate following 8E- will be the SERIAL NUMBER, (it says that) this is the number the Museum will need to get the correct prod. Order.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum, taengle. You've found us here, but you may also want to visit The Studebaker Truck Page. One of the groupings on the Page is STUDEBAKER TRUCK TALK where you'll find a group of 'truck crazies'[}][][^]. Any questions about Studebaker trucks are welcome and, believe me, there are no truck topics this group would shy away from.

StudeRich has given you a lot of correct information already. Two pieces of information are necessary to pinpoint the ancestrial beginnings of a Studebaker truck- the serial number and the model number. Both are stamped into a stainless plate on the driver's side of the door opening.

A serial number for a Champ truck would look as E5-xxxxx. A model designation would look as 8E5-112. When decoded it means-

8....designates a Studebaker truck built in the production years of 1963 or 1964.
      E....code for the series of Studebaker truck built from 1955 through 1964.
      5....A 1/2 ton rated chassis with a standard 170 cubic inch, overhead valve engine.
      112..wheelbase measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle, in this case 112 inches. This model truck is commonly referred to as the 'shorty' or 'short wheelbase' truck.

You can substitute the other codes from StudeRich's posting if the truck is another model. If you'll post the serial number, we can verify that is it actually a 1963 truck. Good luck.

Frank Drumheller
      Louisa, VA
      60S-W6
      1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelark

Welcome to the SDC Forum, taengle. You've found us here, but you may also want to visit The Studebaker Truck Page. One of the groupings on the Page is STUDEBAKER TRUCK TALK where you'll find a group of 'truck crazies'[}][][^]. Any questions about Studebaker trucks are welcome and, believe me, there are no truck topics this group would shy away from.

StudeRich has given you a lot of correct information already. Two pieces of information are necessary to pinpoint the ancestrial beginnings of a Studebaker truck- the serial number and the model number. Both are stamped into a stainless plate on the driver's side of the door opening.

A serial number for a Champ truck would look as E5-xxxxx. A model designation would look as 8E5-112. When decoded it means-

8....designates a Studebaker truck built in the production years of 1963 or 1964.
        5....A 1/2 ton rated chassis with a standard 170 cubic inch, overhead valve engine.
        112..wheelbase measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle, in this case 112 inches. This model truck is commonly referred to as the 'shorty' or 'short wheelbase' truck.

You can substitute the other codes from StudeRich's posting if the truck is another model. If you'll post the serial number, we can verify that is it actually a 1963 truck. Good luck.

Frank Drumheller
        Louisa, VA
        60S-W6

Comment

Frank Drumheller
          Louisa, VA
          60S-W6

Thanks for the feedback - here's the serial number as found on the last registration: E721170. Scale weight is listed as 3440 and gross weight is 6000. Any follow up on this would be appreciated.

I'll also post to the truck forum in addition to contacting the museum reference that the prior poster noted.

Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

It's an E7, a V-8 1/2 Ton, that is all the [u]Serial Number</u> tells us, as I said check the [u]Model Number</u> from the Serial number plate on the Truck, we can only decode it a little further, but the Prod. Order will give you the build date, order date, shipped date, shipped to City, sometimes the dealer, Color, original engine number, key numbers, accessories ordered etc.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Frank Drumheller
              Louisa, VA
              60S-W6
              Studelark - if you could link in the truck forum you mentioned I'd appreciate it....can't seem to locate it.

Thanks.

Comment

Easy to use website building tool for your professional or personal website and blog, web hosting, domain registration, email and more at Tripod.com!

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

here ya go
                At the top of this page is Home you can click on that will take you to main Stude page on forums other forums its there. Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum.
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                1957 Silverhawk
                1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                1955 President State
                1957 Golden Hawk
                Fresno,Ca
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

It's an E7, a V-8 1/2 Ton, that is all the [u]Serial Number</u> tells us, as I said check the [u]Model Number</u> from the Serial number plate on the Truck, we can only decode it a little further, but the Prod. Order will give you the build date, order date, shipped date, shipped to City, sometimes the dealer, Color, original engine number, key numbers, accessories ordered etc.
                  ...appreciate the clarification....I'm not going to be back over at the location w the truck until next weekend....but I will be sure to capture this info and repost ASAP after that.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - here's the serial number as found on the last registration: E721170. Scale weight is listed as 3440 and gross weight is 6000. Any follow up on this would be appreciated.
                    Tom

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tom; Sorry, but I lost track of this thread for awhile. The serial number you've listed, E7-21170, is included in the serial number block for 1963 production of 1/2 ton, V8 Studebaker Champ trucks. The first E7 truck built for the 1963 model year was serial # E7-18901 and ended the year before serial # E7-21250. Your truck was built as a very late 1963 unit.

As StudeRich has already stated, we need the Model Code taken from the ID plate to specifically identify your truck. Good luck and thanks for your quick responses.

Frank Drumheller
                    Louisa, VA
                    60S-W6

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. I got up to Mom's place this weekend to pull the full details off the information panel...some repeat info but here's everything together:

Serial #: E7-2110
                      Certified Net HP 162/3900 RPM
                      MAX GVW: 5200
                      Model: 8E7-122

Ultimately....I'm trying to ballpark what this is worth for Mom - who has no interest in the truck and wants to sell it. There are two interested buyers in the area - Camas, WA.

I can post pictures if need be....but body is straight w no rust...needs a paint job definitely....all the glass and spare parts appear to be there. Original engine is intact and odometer states 53K...but could have turned over. Tires appear appropriate to the timeframe of the truck...inside of truck needs to be restored.

Anyone willing to throw out a ballpark opinion on what this might be worth? Dad was going to do this as a project truck before he passed away recently.....and I'd like Mom to have the best value info possible.

Thanks all again for the feedback.

Tom

Comment

quote:Originally posted by taengel
                        Dad was going to do this as a project truck before he passed away recently.....and I'd like Mom to have the best value info possible.
                        Why don't you keep it and have some fun with it! It is a VERY unique truck and you would do your dad proud by restoring it. There are some very active SDC chapters in WA, and would welcome you.

Craig

Comment

Studerich.....I've now got full car details posted. As you are in my state...any shots as to the best way to value this for sale?

Thanks.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Hello Taengel; welcome to the SDC Forum! here is the link you need to get to the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN to order a Production Order.

Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

If it is a '63, the Truck will be a MODEL NUMBER 8E-XX-XX indicating a 1963 or 1964, a 5 following the 8E will be a 6 Cyl. a 7 a V-8 in a half ton, or a 10 is a 6 Cyl. 3/4 Ton, a 12 is a V-8 3/4 Ton followed by a 12 for a 112in. wheelbase or a 22 for a 122 in. wheelbase. All this is if it EVEN IS a Pickup, it COULD be larger. If it is a Champ with the '60 Lark cab it is known as a "T" Cab, T4 for standard cab, T6 for Deluxe cab.

The 4 to 5 digit numeric number at the top of the serial Number Plate following 8E- will be the SERIAL NUMBER, (it says that) this is the number the Museum will need to get the correct prod. Order.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Comment

OK, we now know that it is in fact a long wheelbase pickup, which means it's an 8 ft. box and should be the styleside wide type box, with no protruding fenders.

The price really depends on the condition, yes pics would help a lot. If you can't figure out how to post them here send them to me and I'll do it. The instructions are at the top of this page and pretty easy.

You do know that the value will be a lot less, since it is not running and driving or at least together. The most, just guessing would be 1000 to $2000.00 more or less. It is always very hard to sell a "basket case" that has to be hauled away in boxes and pieces instead of one piece.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich....I've got the pictures....unsure how to attach them. How do I send them to you to post?

Tom

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\taengel\My Documents\Personal\Mom - Truck\Best pictures\IMG_0817.JPG[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X