Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I have a couple of valves stuck open in my 57 GH. I took off the valve cover and removed the rocker arm assembly. We tapped on one of the valves, and it immediately snapped shut. Great, I thought. We tapped on the second one, but it wouldnt budge. I sprayed it a few times with penetrating oil, and we kept trying to work it loose, but it wouldnt budge, so we just kept repeating the procedure. My friend, who was helping me, feared the worst, and said that it may be bent. Then he said "Check to see if the pushrod is bent". So I pulled out the pushrod, and heard a clunking sound. The lifter had travelled up with the pushrod, had come up out of the pocket, and had fallen into the head! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

We tried to fish it around with a small magnet, and although we were able to get ahold of it, there was just no way we could maneuver it back into the pocket.

Then, totally PO'ed and frusterated, and as I sat there staring at it, the other valve snapped shut!

So, if I hadnt touched the pushrod, I'd be all ready to go.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I cant stop kicking myself!

Which brings me to my question. I really dont want to tear off the head right now. If I remove the intake manifold and valley pan, will I be able to get to the lifter to put it back in place?

Yikes, can't offer any help, as I haven't gone that deep into my own engine yet, but I can tell you that I have had a lot of experiences like that! You try to do something, then you dig yourself into a hole doing something that wasn't even necissary, the problem gets fixed, but the first thing you did to try to fix the problem is still requiring attention. I just think it is the plight of working with old cars. (or old anything for that matter...houses, appliances) Good luck! And my sympathies!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

yes

Claude Chmielewski
      Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
      47 M-16 Truck
      62 GT Hawk
      63 Lark
      64 Commander Wagonaire
      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
      63 GT Hawk R2
      [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
      1936 Dictator
      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
      1953 Commander Regal HT
      1953 2R5 Pickup
      1947 M16 Truck
      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
      1963 GT Hawk R2
      1964 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

What Claude said. It's not at all difficult in the big scheme of things. No need for a head to come off. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

easy man don't panick. remove the intake relocate the tappet. You'll be good to go. no need to drain coolant or remove the distributor such as in lesser V-8s
          quote:Originally posted by jeryst

I have a couple of valves stuck open in my 57 GH. I took off the valve cover and removed the rocker arm assembly. We tapped on one of the valves, and it immediately snapped shut. Great, I thought. We tapped on the second one, but it wouldnt budge. I sprayed it a few times with penetrating oil, and we kept trying to work it loose, but it wouldnt budge, so we just kept repeating the procedure. My friend, who was helping me, feared the worst, and said that it may be bent. Then he said "Check to see if the pushrod is bent". So I pulled out the pushrod, and heard a clunking sound. The lifter had travelled up with the pushrod, had come up out of the pocket, and had fallen into the head! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

We tried to fish it around with a small magnet, and although we were able to get ahold of it, there was just no way we could maneuver it back into the pocket.

Then, totally PO'ed and frusterated, and as I sat there staring at it, the other valve snapped shut!

Which brings me to my question. I really dont want to tear off the head right now. If I remove the intake manifold and valley pan, will I be able to get to the lifter to put it back in place?

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

You are being way to hard on your self in this case.

The only people I know of that dont have these types of problems
            are the ones that dont do anything.

Since your not driving this car I bet you have the luxury of
            a little time time to figure a way out of this problem.

You mentioned in your post that the lifter will not go back
            into the pocket. Does this mean that the lifter is up in the
            lifter valley and will not drop back into the lifter bore.

If you are lined up with the lifter bore and the lifter just
            will not drop back in you may be able to shoot some lube like
            10w motor oil around the lifter where it is using a piece of
            piece of poly tube to guide the oil around it through the push
            rod hole. After lubing the lifter take a wood dowel about the
            diameter of the push rod and round the end on a sander so that
            it looks like the end of a push rod and see if you can push the
            lifter back down in the lifter bore.

If your problem is a little different than I understood then try
            to write another post so we can understand you problem better

This problem can be fixed with some time,patience and effort.

When it begins to frustrate you, walk away for a day or two
            and come back to it with new ideas that you generate in that
            day or two. Good luck and keep us informed.

DDD

Comment

If the lifter came out that easily, it will go back without tearing the top of the engine apart - maybe. A lot depends upon your patience, your mechanical dexterity and which lifter is involved. The front four cylinders are much easier to see down the hole than the rear four.

The tube and dowel suggestion is one method to try. Another is two common mechanic's tools. The first is a strong magnet-on-a-stick and the second is a flexible grapple. These, plus a helper with a good flashlight should get you back in business.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Hey. If it makes you feel any better, I have done that (more than once[V]). I was never able to guide one back in the hole, but removing the intake manifold and valley cover isn't a big deal.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Jerry those valve stems all need a good soaking with Marvel Mystery (Penetrating) Oil. While you have at least one valve cover off, I would oil all 16, to make sure there are no more stuck valve problems at start-up. [^]

The Lifter Cover Gaskets and Intake Manifold Gaskets are on their way, so if you have no luck fishing the lifter back in, at least you have an alternative! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

That's not stupid. It's a required right of passage to Studebaker V8's.

The first time I dropped a lifter Palma and Harbit were present.
                    Spell that humbled.
                    Neither one of them hit me.
                    The teachers taught me to shake and spin the pushrods when lifting them to make them turn loose of the lifter.
                    I learned sumpin that I haven't forgotten.

Now that I think about your episode,let's blame it on your friend.
                    It might not have happened if he hadn't been helping.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Maybe it is too late to help, but a good parts store should carry a lifter tool that enables you to raise and lower it without the help of a pushrod.

========================
                      63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                      Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

Maybe it is too late to help, but a good parts store should carry a lifter tool that enables you to raise and lower it without the help of a stick pushrod.

You lost me. What would that look like?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, you're not going to believe this.

I fished around for the lifter for 2 or 3 hours today. No luck at all. My friend tried for a couple of hours too. No luck either.

Then, another friend of mine came in, and asked what we were doing. We told him what was going on. He asked for the magnet and flashlight, and started to fish around with it. We laughed and walked away over to the other side of the garage. Five minutes later, he came over and told us it was back in. We didnt believe him, but went over to humor him. To our surprise, it was back in place.

He just grinned and said "You owe me one!"

Totally amazing!

Comment

jeryst, Now thats the kinda friend to keep around. Take him and his wife out to a nice dinner.

sals54
                            sals54

Comment

Working...
                            X