This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Book

Studebaker book I saw. Anyone have this one? Is it any good?
    Rediscover Overstock with Free Shipping on Orders Over $49.99 - Your Online Store for Smart Finds and Ridiculous Deals!

That book is on my short list of books to get. I have heard that it it very insightful of the Studebaker Corp in the way they did business. Someday I will get it.

Comment

That book is on my short list of books to get. I have heard that it it very insightful of the Studebaker Corp in the way they did business. Someday I will get it.

Comment

This book is by Thomas Bonsall. A few years before this book was printed he advertised another Studebaker book through direct mail. I suspect he used the SDC roster for his mailing list. The book was to be a large format glossy book with lots of pictures. I (like many others I suspect) fell for the ads and paid money up front before the book was published. After waiting many months after the book was to be published I stated to get several letters and mailings detailing problems with the printer and how it was the next in line to be printed. In one letter Bonsall said he would see to it that everyone that had sent in money for the book would get their money back. That never happened.
        A few years later he came out with the 'More Than Promised Book'.
        I alwaays felt that this book was a reduced version of his fisrt Studebaker book and I felt like anyone that had 'bought'the first one should have received a copy of the 'More Than Promised' book. I wrote him a letter saying so and got a very rude letter in return.
        I will never by this book or any other book by Thomas Bonsall. I would think that anyone esle that lost money to him would also feel the same way.
        Gary
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

This book is by Thomas Bonsall. A few years before this book was printed he advertised another Studebaker book through direct mail. I suspect he used the SDC roster for his mailing list. The book was to be a large format glossy book with lots of pictures. I (like many others I suspect) fell for the ads and paid money up front before the book was published. After waiting many months after the book was to be published I stated to get several letters and mailings detailing problems with the printer and how it was the next in line to be printed. In one letter Bonsall said he would see to it that everyone that had sent in money for the book would get their money back. That never happened.
          I alwaays felt that this book was a reduced version of his fisrt Studebaker book and I felt like anyone that had 'bought'the first one should have received a copy of the 'More Than Promised' book. I wrote him a letter saying so and got a very rude letter in return.
          I will never by this book or any other book by Thomas Bonsall. I would think that anyone esle that lost money to him would also feel the same way.
          Gary
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953
            Gary

A friend, okay more like an acquaintance, wrote a book and the publisher took upfront orders from customers...but never delivered the book. I can see that a situation like this may not have been the author's fault, but that would never excuse a curt reply to your letter.

Still have the letter? If so, you ought to post it. That ought to tick him off! Think of it as a repayment of the money you lost.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953
              Gary

A friend, okay more like an acquaintance, wrote a book and the publisher took upfront orders from customers...but never delivered the book. I can see that a situation like this may not have been the author's fault, but that would never excuse a curt reply to your letter.

Still have the letter? If so, you ought to post it. That ought to tick him off! Think of it as a repayment of the money you lost.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I still have his letter and most of the letters and flyers concerning the whole afair.
                I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list.
                The bad thing about it this was the second book that was done this way. The first book was by Bill Cannon and Fred Fox. It later was published but there was alot of people that lost money on that book also.
                I never 'buy' a book anymore until I can hold it in my hand at the SNM or in a book store.
                Gary
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

I still have his letter and most of the letters and flyers concerning the whole afair.
                  I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list.
                  The bad thing about it this was the second book that was done this way. The first book was by Bill Cannon and Fred Fox. It later was published but there was alot of people that lost money on that book also.
                  I never 'buy' a book anymore until I can hold it in my hand at the SNM or in a book store.
                  Gary
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

The first Bonsall book, I believe, was a large plush book on the Avanti. I remember ordering it also and waiting forever for it to come, but it eventually did and I was pleased with it. This book, "More Than They Promised" is an absolute MUST for anyone serious about Studebaker. It is an excellent book that deals with the ins and outs of the Corporation. I have had my copy for about 10 years and refer to it often. You won't be the least bit sorry you bought it.

Studedude1961
                    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

The first Bonsall book, I believe, was a large plush book on the Avanti. I remember ordering it also and waiting forever for it to come, but it eventually did and I was pleased with it. This book, "More Than They Promised" is an absolute MUST for anyone serious about Studebaker. It is an excellent book that deals with the ins and outs of the Corporation. I have had my copy for about 10 years and refer to it often. You won't be the least bit sorry you bought it.

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Thanks, being new to Studebakers I do not know that much about them. I have a 62 Hawk and am interested in knowing why a company that produced a good product would go out of business. Would be a good coffee table book in the study also.
                        quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Thanks, being new to Studebakers I do not know that much about them. I have a 62 Hawk and am interested in knowing why a company that produced a good product would go out of business. Would be a good coffee table book in the study also.
                          quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

WRT the book, Bonsall generally does a good job. I have the earlier Avanti coffee table book that was delayed in publication, and it's well done. I cannot account for the fact some people who ordered it did not get it, nor can I explain why Bonsall would respond rudely to a legitimate complaint.

Gary 1953 said in part:
                            "I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list."

SDC had no relationship with either Bonsall or his publisher other than to print their advertising. The only thing SDC could have done (and maybe did do -- I don't remember) would be to suspend their advertising priveleges in TW. SDC can't guarantee the integrity of its advertisers nor the quality of their products.

Hotwheels said:
                            "After a meet I attended, I got junk mail for some years with the same misspelling of my name as the nametag I got at the meet.

SDC promissed this does not happen anymore. And so far so good."

As politicians like to say, "Mistakes were made." Apparently several advertisers have used the SDC membership list as a mailing list in the past, but the club has tried very hard to prevent any recurrences. This prohibition even applies to those with whom the club shares a business relationship (such as banks offering SDC affinity credit cards) or close fraternal ties (Avanti Club, Studebaker Museum). On the other hand, the club sells rosters to its members, and Cornerstone sells a version on a CD. It would be very difficult to prevent misuse of these products. Recently, Hemmings Motor News offered to buy our membership list for the purpose of a mailing to all members. The board voted no.

Skip Lackie
                            Member SDC board, Atlantic Zone

Skip Lackie

Comment

WRT the book, Bonsall generally does a good job. I have the earlier Avanti coffee table book that was delayed in publication, and it's well done. I cannot account for the fact some people who ordered it did not get it, nor can I explain why Bonsall would respond rudely to a legitimate complaint.

Gary 1953 said in part:
                              "I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list."

SDC had no relationship with either Bonsall or his publisher other than to print their advertising. The only thing SDC could have done (and maybe did do -- I don't remember) would be to suspend their advertising priveleges in TW. SDC can't guarantee the integrity of its advertisers nor the quality of their products.

Hotwheels said:
                              "After a meet I attended, I got junk mail for some years with the same misspelling of my name as the nametag I got at the meet.

SDC promissed this does not happen anymore. And so far so good."

As politicians like to say, "Mistakes were made." Apparently several advertisers have used the SDC membership list as a mailing list in the past, but the club has tried very hard to prevent any recurrences. This prohibition even applies to those with whom the club shares a business relationship (such as banks offering SDC affinity credit cards) or close fraternal ties (Avanti Club, Studebaker Museum). On the other hand, the club sells rosters to its members, and Cornerstone sells a version on a CD. It would be very difficult to prevent misuse of these products. Recently, Hemmings Motor News offered to buy our membership list for the purpose of a mailing to all members. The board voted no.

Skip Lackie
                              Member SDC board, Atlantic Zone

Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X