PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Book

dallastx75208
12-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Studebaker book I saw. Anyone have this one? Is it any good?
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=339119

Randy_G
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
That book is on my short list of books to get. I have heard that it it very insightful of the Studebaker Corp in the way they did business. Someday I will get it.

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/59s2.jpg
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Randy_G
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
That book is on my short list of books to get. I have heard that it it very insightful of the Studebaker Corp in the way they did business. Someday I will get it.

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/59s2.jpg
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Gary1953
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
This book is by Thomas Bonsall. A few years before this book was printed he advertised another Studebaker book through direct mail. I suspect he used the SDC roster for his mailing list. The book was to be a large format glossy book with lots of pictures. I (like many others I suspect) fell for the ads and paid money up front before the book was published. After waiting many months after the book was to be published I stated to get several letters and mailings detailing problems with the printer and how it was the next in line to be printed. In one letter Bonsall said he would see to it that everyone that had sent in money for the book would get their money back. That never happened.
A few years later he came out with the 'More Than Promised Book'.
I alwaays felt that this book was a reduced version of his fisrt Studebaker book and I felt like anyone that had 'bought'the first one should have received a copy of the 'More Than Promised' book. I wrote him a letter saying so and got a very rude letter in return.
I will never by this book or any other book by Thomas Bonsall. I would think that anyone esle that lost money to him would also feel the same way.
Gary

Gary1953
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
This book is by Thomas Bonsall. A few years before this book was printed he advertised another Studebaker book through direct mail. I suspect he used the SDC roster for his mailing list. The book was to be a large format glossy book with lots of pictures. I (like many others I suspect) fell for the ads and paid money up front before the book was published. After waiting many months after the book was to be published I stated to get several letters and mailings detailing problems with the printer and how it was the next in line to be printed. In one letter Bonsall said he would see to it that everyone that had sent in money for the book would get their money back. That never happened.
I alwaays felt that this book was a reduced version of his fisrt Studebaker book and I felt like anyone that had 'bought'the first one should have received a copy of the 'More Than Promised' book. I wrote him a letter saying so and got a very rude letter in return.
I will never by this book or any other book by Thomas Bonsall. I would think that anyone esle that lost money to him would also feel the same way.
Gary

JBOYLE
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gary1953
Gary

A friend, okay more like an acquaintance, wrote a book and the publisher took upfront orders from customers...but never delivered the book. I can see that a situation like this may not have been the author's fault, but that would never excuse a curt reply to your letter.

Still have the letter? If so, you ought to post it. That ought to tick him off! Think of it as a repayment of the money you lost.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JBOYLE
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gary1953
Gary

A friend, okay more like an acquaintance, wrote a book and the publisher took upfront orders from customers...but never delivered the book. I can see that a situation like this may not have been the author's fault, but that would never excuse a curt reply to your letter.

Still have the letter? If so, you ought to post it. That ought to tick him off! Think of it as a repayment of the money you lost.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Gary1953
12-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I still have his letter and most of the letters and flyers concerning the whole afair.
I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list.
The bad thing about it this was the second book that was done this way. The first book was by Bill Cannon and Fred Fox. It later was published but there was alot of people that lost money on that book also.
I never 'buy' a book anymore until I can hold it in my hand at the SNM or in a book store.
Gary

Gary1953
12-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I still have his letter and most of the letters and flyers concerning the whole afair.
I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list.
The bad thing about it this was the second book that was done this way. The first book was by Bill Cannon and Fred Fox. It later was published but there was alot of people that lost money on that book also.
I never 'buy' a book anymore until I can hold it in my hand at the SNM or in a book store.
Gary

Studedude1961
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
The first Bonsall book, I believe, was a large plush book on the Avanti. I remember ordering it also and waiting forever for it to come, but it eventually did and I was pleased with it. This book, "More Than They Promised" is an absolute MUST for anyone serious about Studebaker. It is an excellent book that deals with the ins and outs of the Corporation. I have had my copy for about 10 years and refer to it often. You won't be the least bit sorry you bought it.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Studedude1961
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
The first Bonsall book, I believe, was a large plush book on the Avanti. I remember ordering it also and waiting forever for it to come, but it eventually did and I was pleased with it. This book, "More Than They Promised" is an absolute MUST for anyone serious about Studebaker. It is an excellent book that deals with the ins and outs of the Corporation. I have had my copy for about 10 years and refer to it often. You won't be the least bit sorry you bought it.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

dallastx75208
12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks, being new to Studebakers I do not know that much about them. I have a 62 Hawk and am interested in knowing why a company that produced a good product would go out of business. Would be a good coffee table book in the study also.
quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

dallastx75208
12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks, being new to Studebakers I do not know that much about them. I have a 62 Hawk and am interested in knowing why a company that produced a good product would go out of business. Would be a good coffee table book in the study also.
quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Skip Lackie
12-06-2006, 08:04 AM
WRT the book, Bonsall generally does a good job. I have the earlier Avanti coffee table book that was delayed in publication, and it's well done. I cannot account for the fact some people who ordered it did not get it, nor can I explain why Bonsall would respond rudely to a legitimate complaint.

Gary 1953 said in part:
"I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list."

SDC had no relationship with either Bonsall or his publisher other than to print their advertising. The only thing SDC could have done (and maybe did do -- I don't remember) would be to suspend their advertising priveleges in TW. SDC can't guarantee the integrity of its advertisers nor the quality of their products.

Hotwheels said:
"After a meet I attended, I got junk mail for some years with the same misspelling of my name as the nametag I got at the meet.

SDC promissed this does not happen anymore. And so far so good."

As politicians like to say, "Mistakes were made." Apparently several advertisers have used the SDC membership list as a mailing list in the past, but the club has tried very hard to prevent any recurrences. This prohibition even applies to those with whom the club shares a business relationship (such as banks offering SDC affinity credit cards) or close fraternal ties (Avanti Club, Studebaker Museum). On the other hand, the club sells rosters to its members, and Cornerstone sells a version on a CD. It would be very difficult to prevent misuse of these products. Recently, Hemmings Motor News offered to buy our membership list for the purpose of a mailing to all members. The board voted no.

Skip Lackie
Member SDC board, Atlantic Zone

Skip Lackie
12-06-2006, 08:04 AM
WRT the book, Bonsall generally does a good job. I have the earlier Avanti coffee table book that was delayed in publication, and it's well done. I cannot account for the fact some people who ordered it did not get it, nor can I explain why Bonsall would respond rudely to a legitimate complaint.

Gary 1953 said in part:
"I always thought that the officers of SDC should have tried to help the membership that had lost money. They never did anything about the situation. Like I said I believed he used the SDC roster for a mailing list."

SDC had no relationship with either Bonsall or his publisher other than to print their advertising. The only thing SDC could have done (and maybe did do -- I don't remember) would be to suspend their advertising priveleges in TW. SDC can't guarantee the integrity of its advertisers nor the quality of their products.

Hotwheels said:
"After a meet I attended, I got junk mail for some years with the same misspelling of my name as the nametag I got at the meet.

SDC promissed this does not happen anymore. And so far so good."

As politicians like to say, "Mistakes were made." Apparently several advertisers have used the SDC membership list as a mailing list in the past, but the club has tried very hard to prevent any recurrences. This prohibition even applies to those with whom the club shares a business relationship (such as banks offering SDC affinity credit cards) or close fraternal ties (Avanti Club, Studebaker Museum). On the other hand, the club sells rosters to its members, and Cornerstone sells a version on a CD. It would be very difficult to prevent misuse of these products. Recently, Hemmings Motor News offered to buy our membership list for the purpose of a mailing to all members. The board voted no.

Skip Lackie
Member SDC board, Atlantic Zone

Gary1953
12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
The book I was writting about was not the Avanti book. He advertised a Studebaker history book after the Avanti book was published and it was never printed.
Someone said that the 'More Than You Promised' book was a good history of the company. I would suggest 'Studebaker The Life and Death of an American Corporation' by Donald T. Critchlow. I thought it was a good history of the corporation.
The SNM had copies not to long ago.
Gary

Gary1953
12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
The book I was writting about was not the Avanti book. He advertised a Studebaker history book after the Avanti book was published and it was never printed.
Someone said that the 'More Than You Promised' book was a good history of the company. I would suggest 'Studebaker The Life and Death of an American Corporation' by Donald T. Critchlow. I thought it was a good history of the corporation.
The SNM had copies not to long ago.
Gary

Roscomacaw
12-06-2006, 11:38 AM
OK - while we're talking Stude books gone awry, how many of you decided to jump in on that Studebaker Family Album that was done 10 years ago?
I don't know what happened with that but it took me forever and a couple of ill-toned letters to have my copy show up. I sorta felt bad for the fella who was the lead on the project after I finally got a copy. I wonder how many copies actually sold?
SDC member George Southern was the moving force behind this. That it hasn't ever been done again probably says something about it's success.
For those of you that have never seen one, it's an "album" of SDC members featuring anywhere from a few paragraphs to half a page about their car(s) with photos of the cars, and in some cases the cars with their owners. Hardbound - glossy pages - all black & white.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
12-06-2006, 11:38 AM
OK - while we're talking Stude books gone awry, how many of you decided to jump in on that Studebaker Family Album that was done 10 years ago?
I don't know what happened with that but it took me forever and a couple of ill-toned letters to have my copy show up. I sorta felt bad for the fella who was the lead on the project after I finally got a copy. I wonder how many copies actually sold?
SDC member George Southern was the moving force behind this. That it hasn't ever been done again probably says something about it's success.
For those of you that have never seen one, it's an "album" of SDC members featuring anywhere from a few paragraphs to half a page about their car(s) with photos of the cars, and in some cases the cars with their owners. Hardbound - glossy pages - all black & white.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Gary1953
12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I would have liked to have had a copy of the Studebaker Family Album book but I was not going to order a third Studebaker book before it was published after losing money on the first two. I believe the timing of the offer was bad and the pre-orders were probably not as good as they could have been because of people getting burned on the other books. I guess the printer only printed copies that were presold. I thought the idea was very neat and would like to buy one if on ever comes up for sale.
Gary

Gary1953
12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I would have liked to have had a copy of the Studebaker Family Album book but I was not going to order a third Studebaker book before it was published after losing money on the first two. I believe the timing of the offer was bad and the pre-orders were probably not as good as they could have been because of people getting burned on the other books. I guess the printer only printed copies that were presold. I thought the idea was very neat and would like to buy one if on ever comes up for sale.
Gary

Ernie55
12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I bought a copy of this book at the museum. I nearly put it back down after seeing the 45.00 price tag. I felt it was a pretty good book, yet it seem to just jump away from certain aspects of the company. I think he did a good job of showing some of the financial problems faced by the company. After reading his book, and knowing very little about Studebaker, it left me feeling that the whole story has yet to be told.

Ernie55
12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I bought a copy of this book at the museum. I nearly put it back down after seeing the 45.00 price tag. I felt it was a pretty good book, yet it seem to just jump away from certain aspects of the company. I think he did a good job of showing some of the financial problems faced by the company. After reading his book, and knowing very little about Studebaker, it left me feeling that the whole story has yet to be told.

studelark
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Friends; It is a terrible thing when hobbiests are duped into preordering books, forwarding hard earned money, etc. simply because of one's search for more information and pleasure reading. I was not one who lost money on the Studebaker books, but apparently have lost my money on the promised PLYMOUTH OWNERS ALBUM. The book was so enticing I sent my $55 in almost a year ago. This promised book came through a mailing of the PLYMOUTH OWNERS CLUB, of which I have been a member for years. To date, nothing.

Authors are really at the mercy of shyster printers and publishers at times. The authors are as we, they love to do the research and write of the vehicles they love. I have toyed with the idea many times of authoring a book or two on Studebaker. However, hearing of other struggling authors attempting to get their works published, as they envisioned their 'book', I satisfy my craving by editing local newsletters and using forums such as this and Studebaker Truck Talk. An author is at the mercy of the publisher or printer who usually have their vision of what the 'book' should be or how it should look. If the author does not have 'up-front money', the authors sometimes get roped into the advance deposit scheme or the preordered bondoogle. As happens, the publisher/printer collects the noney over which the author generally has no control on funds nor timetables.

I have always enjoyed Tom Bonsall's work because of his accuracy and attention to details. I don't believe for a minute that Tom would do anything to sabotage his own work. Too much time, engery, and labor to do that. I am very disappointed at his response to Gary and no excuse could remove rudeness, but I'm sure he's frustrated beyond measure as his work sits in limbo. I truly do not believe authors do their research, collecting of information and photographs and spend days putting it all together, and then deliberately sink his own ship. Of course this is one man's opinion and should be taken as such.

Frank Drumheller
Louisa, VA
'60 Lark Regal VI sedan
'48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer Fire Truck
plus a yard full in Studebaker Santuary

studelark
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Friends; It is a terrible thing when hobbiests are duped into preordering books, forwarding hard earned money, etc. simply because of one's search for more information and pleasure reading. I was not one who lost money on the Studebaker books, but apparently have lost my money on the promised PLYMOUTH OWNERS ALBUM. The book was so enticing I sent my $55 in almost a year ago. This promised book came through a mailing of the PLYMOUTH OWNERS CLUB, of which I have been a member for years. To date, nothing.

Authors are really at the mercy of shyster printers and publishers at times. The authors are as we, they love to do the research and write of the vehicles they love. I have toyed with the idea many times of authoring a book or two on Studebaker. However, hearing of other struggling authors attempting to get their works published, as they envisioned their 'book', I satisfy my craving by editing local newsletters and using forums such as this and Studebaker Truck Talk. An author is at the mercy of the publisher or printer who usually have their vision of what the 'book' should be or how it should look. If the author does not have 'up-front money', the authors sometimes get roped into the advance deposit scheme or the preordered bondoogle. As happens, the publisher/printer collects the noney over which the author generally has no control on funds nor timetables.

I have always enjoyed Tom Bonsall's work because of his accuracy and attention to details. I don't believe for a minute that Tom would do anything to sabotage his own work. Too much time, engery, and labor to do that. I am very disappointed at his response to Gary and no excuse could remove rudeness, but I'm sure he's frustrated beyond measure as his work sits in limbo. I truly do not believe authors do their research, collecting of information and photographs and spend days putting it all together, and then deliberately sink his own ship. Of course this is one man's opinion and should be taken as such.

Frank Drumheller
Louisa, VA
'60 Lark Regal VI sedan
'48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer Fire Truck
plus a yard full in Studebaker Santuary

Guido
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Frank,

You write, I edit and Chester prints!

Gary

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/53/453/1/21/36/2964121360097493054pVJTFL_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/57/757/2/88/4/2023288040097493054SEKowB_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/18/19/8/37/21/2050837210097493054IYBJJL_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/59/559/1/43/57/2876143570097493054jKVhDw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/59/459/2/23/86/2067223860097493054YoeGMx_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/5/18/33/2537518330097493054OgEKcN_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Guido
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Frank,

You write, I edit and Chester prints!

Gary

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/53/453/1/21/36/2964121360097493054pVJTFL_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/57/757/2/88/4/2023288040097493054SEKowB_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/18/19/8/37/21/2050837210097493054IYBJJL_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/59/559/1/43/57/2876143570097493054jKVhDw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/59/459/2/23/86/2067223860097493054YoeGMx_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/5/18/33/2537518330097493054OgEKcN_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.