timing cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing cover

I have the full gasket set for a 289 i am about to put the gaskets for the timeing cover on but i am not sure where the gasket goes that is a thick woven material? does it go inside the cover or outside?

Thanks
    Ryan

There is a round plate, held on by 4 small sheet metal screws on the inside of the cover. It is in there.

Comment

Make sure the seal completely fills the cavity and has to be compressed somewhat to re-instal the round plate. I was provided a kit for an engine rebuild for a friend that had a rear axle felt seal in place of the correct one. The proper felt seal will seal the crank very nicely but is quite snug on the crank hub. I find the best approach in engine sealing is to put the outer timing cover gasket on dry. Then install the engine pan with the filler block in place. Then remove the timing cover and cut the lower portion of the gasket, that covers the filler block, off as per the manual for a pan only installation. Then install the timing cover gasket with Permatex sealer but only where the gasket is. Then apply a 1/8" bead of RTV along the outer edge of the filler block and around each of the 4 screw holes. Then apply the timing cover as per the manual, centering it on the crank hub. Tighten the cover screws with the exception of the filler block screws. These should be simply snubbed up about a half turn past finger tight - no more. Then smear some RTV over the exposed surface of the pan front cork gasket to inhibit oil seepage. Follow the RTV instructions. The surfaces to contact the RTV must be clean and oil free including the filler block screws. Once the RTV sets up the filler block screws will not back out and you don't have to worry about the "pulled" surfaces of the filler block. If you ever have to remove the timing cover again, the bond between the filler block and timing cover will not want to release and will require some care to separate, but will never leak. Only an 1/8" bead of RTV, no more. RTV should always be used sparing around an engine!

Comment

Don't overtighten the screws on the collar of the timing cover crank seal. They strip out of that aluminum very easily. BTDT

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Soak the seal in clean oil overnight. Drill a 1/8 inch hole through the retainer at bout 6 oclock. Near the bottom so as to allow excessive crank case oil not to be retained in the seal.
          Put some type of thread lock compound on the retainer ring screw threads. Now oil won't leak all over the front and underside of the engine for a while. Install cover bolts, only a couple loosely then install your crank hub. Assemble all pullies, torque crank bolt then tighten up timing cover. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
          X