INTERIOR DOOR PANELS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTERIOR DOOR PANELS

Iknow this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any black door panels for a 65 Daytona Sport Sedan and also the rear panels?

Try SASCO [^]

You can spray some NOS Brown or Green, (losers left in stock) door panels. [:0]
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've heard of that being done, but never have myself, and have always wondered how well that really works? I have a hard time believing it will really last, stay on, and not fade out over time.

Has anyone here actually done it, and seen the results long-term? And what about the panels with carpet at the bottom? Is that sprayed too?

I hear this called "dying", especially when referring to carpet; but it doesn't appear to be "dye" at all- just a spray paint.

Anyone sharing actual experience on this subject would be appreciated.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob,

I used vinyl dye back about 1980 on some armrests - they have never peeled or faded. They just continue on and make me ask "what was I thinking!"

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
        53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I tried some of the spray on some seats (don't remember brand it was 18 years ago and won't do it again), it stayed on in most parts but will wear in the seat area. You have to make sure a seat is COMPLETELY free of armor all etc. As to a panel the spray vynil can turn out nice. I still have some red ones that were sprayed black and those held up.

As to carpet...........IMHO. I wouldn't waste my time dying, I've found it hard to get it all even, and deep into the fibers. Your better off finding some automotive carpet, steam it to fit. And trim where needed.

ChopStu
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I have a fairly decent red set of bucket seat interior and door panels.

I also have seat inserts in all colors for 1965.(wide spacing)
            Robert Kapteyn
            studebaker@mac.com

Comment

I sprayed dash panels, kick panels, visors and a bunch of other stuff 6 months ago and it is still looking good. I think one of the tricks (other than making sure everything is real clean) is to use a bonding agent.

Don

Comment

Bams50...from what I hear, the new stuff used to spray dye interior pieces is light years ahead of the old stuff or...heaven forbid...the spray paint folks used to use.
                Give it a shot, especially with black you can't go too wrong.
                I've seen Duplicolor TV ads on the cable network car fix-up shows...and have seen the results kids get in their import tuner cars at shows, the stuff seems to work.

Or you can have it professionally done by mobile business guys who touch-up used cars and cars getting repaired at body shops. I had one dye a used glove box on my Avanti...the original was cracked...and you can't tell the difference. He came to my office with a trailer set up with an airbrush. Cost me all of $40.

But I agree with earlier comments on the carpet, buy new.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Still looking for more panels-Robert has been in touch
                  thanks

Comment