Driver or flexiflyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver or flexiflyer?

I saw this on eBay and wondered about the wisdom of cutting the roof off of a 4 door car like this. I would think that the body would flex something awful as you went over bumps in the road.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Frame should be beefed up to make up for the lost roof, (They do it on factory ragtops.) and this thing cries out for a Carson style lift off vinyl hardtop! [8D]

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

The Carson top would be cool. It was the four door part that made me wonder. Not many 4 door convertibles around. If the body wasn't really rigid, you know the doors would not close like they should.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have seen some real hatchet jobs of attempts to customize or rod Studes. Interesting that there are no underside pics. Before I would buy any Stude custom or rod, I would want to drive it on a 90 degree day. Many folks do good look'n rods, but often fail to provide adequate cooling. This one may be first class mechanically, but their creative ability vacated their brain on the front grille.
        [img][/img]

John Clary
        Greer, SC
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
        X