Overhead Valve 6 Cylnder Transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead Valve 6 Cylnder Transplant

Has anyone ever had experience with trying to put a later model Stude overhead valve inline 6 cylinder in a car originally equipeed witha the flat head engine, particularly 1950 or earlier?

quote:Originally posted by steve_smith54

Has anyone ever had experience with trying to put a later model Stude overhead valve inline 6 cylinder in a car originally equipeed witha the flat head engine, particularly 1950 or earlier?
    Steve,

I assume you are talking about the '61 thru '64 OHV Studebaker engines here, not the '65 and '66 Chevybaker engines.

While I can't offer you any specifics, I can point out a couple of items to think about and/or chase.

Bob Palma wrote an article many years ago about installing a OHV 6 engine in a (IIRC) '55 Studebaker. You may be able to get a copy from him, and glean a few things.

However, one big issue may be that from roughly '50 and further back the Studebaker car front suspensions were significantly different from the '51 thru '66 car front suspensions. I would suggest that you stick your head under several '50 and earlier Champion cars and compare the oil pans with the OHV oil pans. Gut feel says oil pans/oil pickup location may be your biggest issue.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by steve_smith54

Has anyone ever had experience with trying to put a later model Stude overhead valve inline 6 cylinder in a car originally equipeed with a the flat head engine, particularly 1950 or earlier?
      Steve: I installed a 1962 OHV six in my 1955 Champion coupe for a driver in 1970. As Paul said, a lengthy (for the time) report of that appeared in the May 1971 SDC Bulletin; the small forerunner of Turning Wheels.

If you'd like a copy of it, please send $2 to my address in any Co-Operator column heading in Turning Wheels. I'll photocopy the article and mail it to you. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
      X