PDA

View Full Version : Woodruff key position?

CHAMP
12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Does the woodruff key for the rear axle to drum hub go with the taper down on the axle and facing the inside of the car on my 48 Champion. thats the way it looks to go in my Chassis Manual. Thanks!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

gordr
12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

Does the woodruff key for the rear axle to drum hub go with the taper down on the axle and facing the inside of the car on my 48 Champion. thats the way it looks to go in my Chassis Manual. Thanks!

Yep, that's right. I find it's best to place the drum on the taper without the key, and then push it "home" and line up the keyways by turning as necessary. Then insert the key in the correct orientation, and tap it in using a hammer and small pin punch. This takes very little force. If you have really drive on it, something is WRONG. Stop and re-check your work.

If you put the key in the axle, and then try to slide the drum on over it, you risk pushing the key too far up the taper in the keyway, preventing the drum from seating properly, resulting in potential major damge, even a lost wheel.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

CHAMP
12-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks Gordr.

CHAMP
12-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know the size and thread number for the rear sxle on a 48 Champion? I would like to get a die or thread chaser to clean them up before I put it back together.

CHAMP
12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Never mind I found it in my chassis parts catalog. It is 3/4 - 16. Thanks anyway.

N8N
12-09-2006, 09:18 AM
yes, taper down and in, any other way you run the risk of splitting the hub.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

CHAMP
12-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks Nate! One key fell out and the other one was in wrong.