53 Commander rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Commander rear axle

Would an axle from a 53 Commander have bigger brakes than my 60 Lark's 9"?

Also, you think the same rear would be an easy swap for the Lark without mods?

Gracias!

It would be easy to bolt into the Lark, however you'll have to do something with the driveshaft. And the 53s brakes would be larger in diameter, but lesser in efficiency as that was the last year before the switch to self-energizing brakes.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Fooey, Bob, I was afraid of that. Thanks!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Would an axle from a 53 Commander have bigger brakes than my 60 Lark's 9"?
        Also, you think the same rear would be an easy swap for the Lark without mods?
        It would be easier for you to just swap the entire backing plate/drum assemblies from a later V-8.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Don't change the back brakes without changing the front. It needs to be done as a system. The balance between the front and the back is important. You will get excessive wear out of the front or the back and maybe reduced braking efficiency. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
          X