New to Studebaker and have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studebaker and have some questions

I just bought a 1941 Champion sedan. The car is in pretty good shape and when it is done it will be my wife's ride. When I was looking over the car I noticed that the area between the rocker panel and frame under the driver's floor is boxed in. Can anyone tell me why they did this? Also I will be looking for bumpers and the left grille. Any ideas where I might find them. I first thing I did after buying the car was join your club and have enjoyed reading the information on the forum. You guys do a great job answering people's question.

Thanks
    Dennis M.

The Torque Box strengthens the body/frame combination, Studebaker used very thin frames which on some models and on later years usually Convertibles and Hardtops required that the body be stronger to make the comb. rigid enough.

Also the area from the inboard mounted frame to the door sill has little support without some strengthening.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The best places to look for parts are eBay and Studebaker meets. You can also try the Studebaker vendors listed on the vendors website:

Many stock parts should be available at your local FLAPS.

By the way, the torque boxes are often referred to as "hog troughs".

Comment

That boxed in section you refer to is not for strengthening the body. It is merely the air passageway that leads from the vent on the left side of the cowl into the Climatizer (heater) unit that is under the drivers seat. When the cowl vent is open it forces air into the chamber directly to the Climatizer. You do not want the vent on the left side opened except when using the heater. The vent on the right side of the cowl opens directly into the passengers compartment and provides fresh air to the occupants. You do not want this open in the cold weather!

As for your parts requirements both of your needs are extremely hard to come by. Especially the grilles. NOS are almost non-existent but when found will likely cost in the range of $300-$350 (if you are lucky). As for the bumpers they are a one year only bumper, fit nothing else. Don't be fooled by the '40 Champion bumpers. They look similar but have a continuous arch from end-to-end whereas the '41's have a peak in the center (as shown above). On the positive side the front and rear bumpers are the same.

I have reproduction hub caps for this car at $275 plus postage for a set of four. Guaranteed better than NOS caps which I also have. Is this car going to be original or a street rod?

You should really be a member of The Antique Studebaker Club that focuses on 1946 and earlier Studebakers only.

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

What is odd is that my friend had a set of those '41 grills, one NOS and one really good used for two years taking them to swap meets without success and finally sold them to another vendor at Lancaster for $50 a piece! [:0]
          He said finding someone who just wants the '41 stuff wasn't that easy and got sick of hauling them in and out of meets. I do know someone who has a good '41 parts car. Not sure what is left. I'll ask. Do you want new stuff, or cores to chrome, Dennis?

Comment

Richard Thanks for the info. I saw under the driver's side of the seat that there is a hole in the floor. Is this where the climatizer mounts. Were heaters an option in these cars? The heater in my car is mounted under the right side of the dash. I will be doing a resto-mod on this car. My wife fell in love with the car as soon as she saw it. I want to keep the outside as original as possible but with a more modern drive line so she can drive it everyday.

Barnlark Does your friend remember who the vendor was? Cores to chrome would be fine I don't think I can be picky. Thanks for checking on that 41 let me know what you find.

Whacker thanks for the vendor info.

Comment

"Barnlark Does your friend remember who the vendor was?"

That's the first thing that I asked. No, he can't remember where they ended up. They'll turn up. No word from the other parts car vendor yet.

Comment

Note to dmignogno... #1, you're lucky to have a wife with such great taste (in cars!). #2, the folks on this forum are your best source for all things Studebaker. When I first logged on, with my first and only Stude, although I was experienced in auto restoration in general, I would never have been as successful nor had as much fun with my new project without all the experience and friendliness on this forum. So, the Stude and the wife are both keepers, in my opinion.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
                  ...As for your parts requirements both of your needs are extremely hard to come by. Especially the grilles. NOS are almost non-existent but when found will likely cost in the range of $300-$350 (if you are lucky). As for the bumpers they are a one year only bumper, fit nothing else. Don't be fooled by the '40 Champion bumpers. They look similar but have a continuous arch from end-to-end whereas the '41's have a peak in the center (as shown above). On the positive side the front and rear bumpers are the same. ...
                  I have at least a half dozen '40 Champion grilles (I believe left side). I believe they are NOS. They are polished, but dull and don't appear to be chrome plated. I thought maybe they were WWII replacements where some metals were scarce. I also have one similar grille with a casting number 271067L which doesn't correspond to a part number. Any of this as scarce as the '41 stuff?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul from the photos I have looked at the grille for a 40 is different from a 41. Are all of yours for a 40 or do you have one for a 41?

Comment

<<Note to dmignogno... #1, you're lucky to have a wife with such great taste (in cars!). #2, the folks on this forum are your best source for all things Studebaker.>>

Amen to that! Welcome, Dennis!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dmignogno

Paul from the photos I have looked at the grille for a 40 is different from a 41. Are all of yours for a 40 or do you have one for a 41?
                        Unfortunately all I have are for 40s except one which I can't identify, but it is much different that the '41 Champion. I wish I did have the 41.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by dmignogno

I just bought a 1941 Champion sedan. Also I will be looking for bumpers and the left grille. Any ideas where I might find them?

I've had a few emails for questions concerning a '41 parts car owner I posted about earlier on this thread.
                          There aren't any trim pieces left. No bumpers. There are all four fenders with some rust, the rolling (deep in snow right now) frame and the engine parts. The rear shock parts are sold.
                          He has a set of nos grills someone put money down on last fall, said they would pay off and for which they have not sent a dollar since. Those may be available. $450 for the pair.
                          He also has a NOS, in the box, Borg 2-1/4" clock for hardtops and sedans for 1957. I can pass along info if anyone is interested.

Edit:41 grills are sold. He does have NOS 1953 fender skirts, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X