brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake question

What makes the brake system release, If the pedal does not return does that mean the brakes are not releasing? I think my hawk brakes after driving for long periods of time I think my brakes start to drag.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

quote:Originally posted by studelover

What makes the brake system release,/Cut/
    The bleed off port in the bottom of the Master Cyl. prevents pressure build up only when the Pedal is at the top, with the required pedal free-travel AND the proper Pedal Return Spring, under the car connected to the frame.

The shoes need to be free to "return" also with good condition, correct return springs and backing plate brake shoe wear pads, lubed and in good smooth condition.

A swelled Brake Flex Hose can cause these problems as well.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

What makes the brake system release, If the pedal does not return does that mean the brakes are not releasing? I think my hawk brakes after driving for long periods of time I think my brakes start to drag. Studebakers forever!
      Ditto what StudeRich said, but are you saying your pedal doesnt come
      all the way back up? If memory serves the Hawk has a spring on the
      brake pedal under the floor.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes it does have a spring on the arm under the car. I adjusted the pedal once however it was not returning. I adjusted it again and now the pedal comes back how do I know when the shoes are releasing. All shoes hardware are new.the backing plate does have those pad and they are oiled

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Is this a hydrovac system? Maybe it doesn't matter, but it sounds similar to something I've been experiencing off and on with my 62 Hawk.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yes scott, this is a power system, I was thinking maybe the manifold vacum might have dropped or something.What happened to yours?

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

I've never figured it out. The booster was replaced twice, and the master cylinder two or three times. Also, the return springs were replaced and the wheel cylinders replaced or redone (as I recall). I am told it is the pushrod to the MC that's not adjusted right, but I've had the thing in the shop a half dozen times and either they don't understand the system or they're sloppy. It WAS working OK before I replaced everything - the booster was not working properly though. Then I figured I better redo everything and get it in top shape and now it's really inconsistent. Sometimes I would drive it with no issues and then the next time the brakes would hang up - sometimes while driving for a while.
              I have put the car up for sale now because I am tired of troubleshooting it. I want a Studebaker I can enjoy and not be frustrated over. That said, I really think someone with more mechanical aptitude could find out the issue and resolve it in an afternoon.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

We had a brake dragging issue with my Dad's '64 GT Hawk, I dont recall
                what the solution was, we checked for the residual pressure valve to
                see if we got the wrong master, I think the problem was IN the booster
                or the hoses to the booster. Or there was a valve? I just dont recall.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

You know Scott sometimes when you have a situation like yours it's a comination of two things. That can really make it hard to solve. My problem is the MC push rod. It was adjusted so the PO could use the power brakes like manual brakes. I have that rod adjusted now and my brake pedal is not low and it's returning. Question did you put your special oil in your brake booster? If you have replaced that booster twice that must have been expensive. I have the brakes adjusted pretty good at the wheel so I am driving againThe one thing I have learned about these cars is you have to keep trying until you solve the problem, sometimes you have to change mechanics[^]

Studebakers forever!
                  Studebakers forever!

Comment

I didn't put in the neatsfoot oil right away, but it didn't go more than a few hundred miles before it was put in.

Yes, it is expensive to keep replacing things. I don't want that kind of hobby anymore. A different mechanic wouldn't hurt, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X