PDA

View Full Version : Need radio help

tstclr
12-03-2006, 10:13 PM
A friend of mine gave me an original Studebaker AM radio for my 64. He said it worked intermittantly and when he opened it up, the yellow wire leading from the transister was hanging loose. He figured it was barely soldered to wherever it should be and fell off completely when he removed the cover. Trouble is, neither of us know where it should go. Does anyone out there have an old AM radio kicking around that you could see where the yellow wire is soldered to? It leads from the large transistor that is attached to the big metal heat sink at the back of the radio. It's one of 3 leads from it.
Thanks!
Todd
P.S Am tunes are better than no tunes!

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

StudeRich
12-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Todd, I have a '66 manual tuning model sitting here, and it's the type with ALL of the heat sink unit inside the case. If yours is outside the case it is an early one like '61-'62.

Anyway this one goes inside the case along the top to a spot on the insulator board about a 3/4 to 7/8 in. back from the front and between the center civil defense symbol and the #14 on the dial. You should see a broken solder spot there.

I hope this crude discription is good enough to locate it. Rich.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

gordr
12-04-2006, 02:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by tstclr

A friend of mine gave me an original Studebaker AM radio for my 64. He said it worked intermittantly and when he opened it up, the yellow wire leading from the transister was hanging loose. He figured it was barely soldered to wherever it should be and fell off completely when he removed the cover. Trouble is, neither of us know where it should go. Does anyone out there have an old AM radio kicking around that you could see where the yellow wire is soldered to? It leads from the large transistor that is attached to the big metal heat sink at the back of the radio. It's one of 3 leads from it.
Thanks!
Todd
P.S Am tunes are better than no tunes!

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Todd, I have several old Studebaker transistor AM car radios in the garage. I could check on them tomorrow, and maybe do a digital pic.

BTW, I had a look for 9" brake drums, and came up with zilch.

You know that you can send your old AM radio out for conversion, don't you? Gary Tayman of Tayman Electrical is one guy who does that. Externally, the modified radio looks unchanged. Turn it on once, and it plays on AM. Turn off and on again, and it's on FM stereo. Try this link: http://www.gate.net/~gtayman/index.html

If the link is bad, let me know, and I'll try to find a good one.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

tstclr
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info Rich. Gord, if you can get a pic that would also help greatly. My radio has everything inside the case as well. A friend here in town has a 58 Hawk with an AM radio that is converted to FM. It really works slick. I see it's a bit pricey to convert ($369) but would be a good investment on a show quality car (that's almost half what I paid for the 64!)
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

tstclr
12-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Its a right rear.
Thanks
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

gordr
12-04-2006, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info Rich. Gord, if you can get a pic that would also help greatly. My radio has everything inside the case as well. A friend here in town has a 58 Hawk with an AM radio that is converted to FM. It really works slick. I see it's a bit pricey to convert ($369) but would be a good investment on a show quality car (that's almost half what I paid for the 64!)
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Todd,

I went out to the shop and had me a look at 3 radios. AC3216 is an older model with the external heat sink, and is a bigger box, too. Probably wouldn't fit in the available space in your car.

AC 3473 is a manual-tune radio, as is AC 3351. One has green dial lettering, and one has white. They use different circuit boards, too, with a different location for the yellow (emitter) lead from the output transistor.

What they all do have in common is that the yellow wire connects to one end of a fuse resistor, which is called out by name on the cicuit board. The other end of the fuse resistor connects to a red wire going to the switch or to a filter network off the board. Close examination of your radio should disclose that fuse resistor, which has a braided fiberglass sleeve over it.

If you will send me an e-mail, I can reply and include pics of these two radio boards. I can open them with Windows picture and fax viewer, and blow them up to CLEARLY show the relevant area. The e-mail applet on this forum apparently does not allow attachments.

Hope this helps.

tstclr
12-04-2006, 06:33 PM
I thought that's where it went. I resoldered it to the resistor pad and still no go.. It just lights up. Ah well, I suppose an aftermarket AM/FM will do as long as I dont have to cut things up. There was a non-functioning aftermarket unit in the dash when I bought it-only the dash trim was "damaged" for proper fit. I can re use that trim piece if I opt for another aftermarket unit and I have a good spare if I do decide on a factory unit. I also tested the factory speaker and it's ok.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

gordr
12-05-2006, 02:37 AM

I thought that's where it went. I resoldered it to the resistor pad and still no go.. It just lights up. Ah well, I suppose an aftermarket AM/FM will do as long as I dont have to cut things up. There was a non-functioning aftermarket unit in the dash when I bought it-only the dash trim was "damaged" for proper fit. I can re use that trim piece if I opt for another aftermarket unit and I have a good spare if I do decide on a factory unit. I also tested the factory speaker and it's ok.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Todd, you can have one of these radios if you want. I might even have a pushbutton AM radio in the barn, but you can have one of the manual tune jobs for the cost of postage. And I will ensure that the one I send works. If they are both dead, I won't have time to repair it for a while.

Don't throw away the dead radio; they can be fixed. I suspect maybe the output transistor shorted, and took out the fuse resistor, maybe making it hot enough to melt the solder joint for the yellow wire.

Mike
12-05-2006, 05:47 AM
What is the Delco model # (sticker on right side)? I think I have a full set of "Sam's" for the '64 Stude radios. If you don't have the model #, is it push button or manual tuning?
Mike M.

tstclr
12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't have the model number handy. It's a pushbutton unit. Gord: I may take you up on your offer. I'll play around with this one a bit more to see if I can get it working. I had good results with a radio out of a 60 Pontiac I owned simply by resoldering all the contacts on the PC board. It worked great after that. I'll give that a try and see if there is any other obvious damage. I don't think the yellow wire overheated as I could see a spec of broken wire in the solder joint on closer examination.
Thanks for the help guys!
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

JBOYLE
12-05-2006, 12:04 PM
A couple of radio questions...

1. My Avanti's front speaker does not work. There is what looks like a front speaker grille,is it possible it doesn't have one? How do I get to it to check the wires?

2. Could someone send details on the AM-FM conversion (admittedly a way down the road in terms of priorities).

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State