lower door posts for '49 2R5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower door posts for '49 2R5

The bottom 6" of both my hinge posts (#652988 rt and #652989 left) are rusted right off. This is the part the rear of the fender bolts on to and forms the bulge at the bottom of the fender and door. Rebuilding these from nothing will be a challenge. If anyone out there has a donor truck which has this piece in reasonable condition (both sides) I'd be interested. The bottom 12" - 14" would be enough. It can be seen as item 2460-5 on p. 548 of the parts book. Alternatively if anyone has taken an accurate pattern of this profile or has gone through rebuilding this part that would help too Many thanks.
    Andrew

Andrew

Have you tried Classic Enterprises? They supplied similar door post replacement supports for my 55 HT porject.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I've bought every panel part they make for the 2R5. Funny they don't make this one as it must be a common failure in northern climates. I'll call and ask if they have an old pattern.

Andrew

Comment

I have done some pillar and door post work and there are probably others here who have more experience. Could you get and post some pictures of the area on your truck? As you probably know, these areas are extremely critical in terms of structural integrity and "fit" as well. Getting these components accurately placed in the original position is as important as getting them reproduced. If we can see pics, we'll have a better understanding of what you are facing.
        [img][/img]

John Clary
        Greer, SC
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I spoke with Classic Enterprises today and they are well aware of the rust problem in that area. Although they do have parts for patterns, they have no plans to make that part in the next year or two unless they hear of a strong demand for it.
          There isn't much to photograph in there as on the left side the lower hinge socket, cab mount and frame strut are "gone". There is a little more on the right. The strategy I had in mind was to get cab and fenders lined up, and use the door and frame strut to position everything else. I know it is a critical area and a tricky fit. I'll get a pic and post it. I did get an email and pics from a fellow who was welding in a partial post from a doner truck. It was very neat welding job.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X