1960 Champ with factory AT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Champ with factory AT?

I just saw this truck listed on e-Bay. The seller notes it has no power train and someone cut the floor for a shifter. I was looking at the interior shot and didn't see a clutch pedal then moved my eyes up and notice the automatic shift indicator. Must have been a fairly rare option. $650 opening bid and in California (item # 150066768408).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

A guy I knew in Florida had a Champ with Auto trans. The setup is now is Stephen Cade's truck. (Stephen Allen's Auto)
    According to Steven, as hard as they are to handle, you need an auto trans.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

A guy I knew in Florida had a Champ with Auto trans. The setup is now is Stephen Cade's truck. (Stephen Allen's Auto)
      According to Steven, as hard as they are to handle, you need an auto trans.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, Georgia
      '59 Scotsman PU
      '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Old Orange, our '62 Champ has the automatic trans too.

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Old Orange, our '62 Champ has the automatic trans too.

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
          http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

A friend of mine bought a 1957 pickup new with V8 and automatic transmission. He sold it in the '60s and ended up buying it back in the early-'80s. It was later parted out and the rear became a trailer. I remember replacing the engine once, but I believe that the AT was original through the life of the pickup. The pickup got a lot of miles in its early years because it was used in the friend's business with a route through NY and NJ.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A friend of mine bought a 1957 pickup new with V8 and automatic transmission. He sold it in the '60s and ended up buying it back in the early-'80s. It was later parted out and the rear became a trailer. I remember replacing the engine once, but I believe that the AT was original through the life of the pickup. The pickup got a lot of miles in its early years because it was used in the friend's business with a route through NY and NJ.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

I just saw this truck listed on e-Bay. The seller notes it has no power train and someone cut the floor for a shifter. I was looking at the interior shot and didn't see a clutch pedal then moved my eyes up and notice the automatic shift indicator. Must have been a fairly rare option. $650 opening bid and in California (item # 150066768408).
                Automatic transmissions were available starting in 1955. Years ago I saw a '55 1/2-ton with the 224 V-8 and a/t (Detroit Gear, 1st gear start). California bought a bunch of Champs in '61 or '62. They all had Flightomatics with 1st gear start.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Automatic transmissions were available starting in 1955. Years ago I saw a '55 1/2-ton with the 224 V-8 and a/t (Detroit Gear, 1st gear start). California bought a bunch of Champs in '61 or '62. They all had Flightomatics with 1st gear start.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I currently know of a '57 in Ohio that is a factory AT unit. The fellow wanted me to trade some plows and other tractor goodies for it. I might need to revisit that!

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

I currently know of a '57 in Ohio that is a factory AT unit. The fellow wanted me to trade some plows and other tractor goodies for it. I might need to revisit that!

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post

Paul Johnson
                        Museum R-4 engine
                        my 62 champ was ordered by the California highway department with a/t and almost all the bells and whistles. It use to be orange but some time ago it was painted green. One day it will be back to orange.

Comment

I just love it when a 7 year old thread comes alive.......

Comment

Automatic Trans. was just one of the ordinary Studebaker "Purpose Built" Truck Transmission Options, but just like the New Process 5 Speed Direct and 5 Speed Overdrive, it was not a popular choice.

Looking back, and having driven all of the options, I still think the best bet is the Borg Warner H.D. 3 Speed Manual Overdrive, the T-89.

I remember the New Chocolate Brown Champ V8 Automatics that I helped deliver to the Los Angeles Water & Power Dep't.
                            The Dealer; Frank H. Afton Co. Inglewood, CA, had to modify them to the Dept's. requirements which among others was Calif. Produced Truck Tires, tethered Gas Cap, Local Mfg. Step Bumpers and hitch etc.

You had to hit the gas pretty gently, the first time I moved it, I burned out without even trying with a 3.73 or 4.09 TT Axle, and that Heavy Duty water cooled Oil, Low Gear Start Flight-O-Matic!
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-19-2014, 01:44 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                              I just love it when a 7 year old thread comes alive.......
                              Me too, which indicates someone is taking their time and do doing some research here first. One cannot fault anybody for that!

Comment

Working...
                              X