Is my new Stude rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my new Stude rare?

I just purchased a 1940 Commander Coupe and was told by the owner that there are not many out there. How can I find out how rare it might be?

Ron Langley

There are two methods to determinewhat is out there. One way is to go through the SDC roster and count the cars listed that match yours. You will get a fairly close idea as the roster lists only members and there are folks who don't belong to the SDC.

The other method which seemed to work fairly well until recently is the 10% rule. Find the total amount produced, and then deduct 10% for every year until now. You can do it in Excel very quickly. Some cars do not fit that rule within the Studebaker line up, but you will get a good idea.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

I think it is rare, especially since it is a coupe. Can you post a picture?

Richard Quinn (Studebaker Wheel) has a 40 Studebaker President coupe. He is the editor of the Antique Studebaker Club. You should join that and the SDC.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I also welcome you to the forum. If this is your first Studebaker, it comes with a rather large family of Studebaker club members who are eager to support your participation in owning,restoring,preserving and driving these wonderful machines. Tell us a little more about your car. I don't know if the 8 cyl engine was still being offered in '40, but that would really be a rare one. Some people equate "rare" with value,but in my humble opinion,"popularity" usually trumps "rare" in value. The down side of rare is availability of parts. Regardless, us Studebaker folks applaud and support the guy who has a lowly spartan "fleet trimmed scotsman" car just as much as the guy with a perfectly restored trailer queen 1930's President Roadster. So, grab your camera and share!
        [img][/img]

John Clary
        Greer, SC
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well, rare is a compararitive term. Just the fact that it's a Studebaker makes yours a rare car![8D] So, yes, yours is a rare car![8D] Is it the most popular marque? No. Is it the most high-dollar marque? Thankfully not, as most of the people like me couldn't enjoy these unusual and beautiful cars! You will find, however, that this club is the frendliest, most supportive, and least snobbish of all the car clubs. It's also one of the oldest. Last of all is that we have (IMHO) the best parts supply of any classic car marque.

So, welcome to the madness! Join the clubs and you'll find a great group of people to socialize with!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Ron, rare is a relative term. Any car from 1940 is rare. Most of the cars from that time period were rode hard and put away wet, especially with limited supplies of parts and tires during WWII. Most have been scraped for one reason or another 4 or 5 times over since then.

With the car being a Champion, it probably sold better than Commanders and Presidents of the same year. But I'm sure cars from the Big 3 greatly outsold Studebaker that year as well. Because there were 20(!) different 2-dr sedans offered by Studebaker in various models, your particular model very well may be rare (like every other 1940 model).

Champion Custom
            Champion Custom Deluxe
            Champion Deluxe
            Champion Deluxe-Tone
            Commander
            Commander Deluxe-Tone
            State President
            President Deluxe-Tone

Now rare does not mean valuable. Studebaker is well down the food chain when it comes to investment value. A President Deluxe might do OK, but it will most likely still fall behind other mid priced cars from the era (Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Dodge, DeSoto, Mercury, etc.). It will definitely be behind Cadillacs, Buicks, LaSalles, Chryslers and Lincolns of the day. Heck, I'd be surprised if a stock Ford or Chevy wasn't worth more just due to popularity.

All that said, it's a nice car and I doubt you'll see another in your neighborhood.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom, he said it was a Commander, not a Champion.

In either case a nice car and not exactly common!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
              http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

quote:Ron, rare is a relative term.
                Yeah, Swifty, exactly! All the -ives are good!

Ron, hows about a photo? There's a sticky at the top of the forum menu that tells how to post one, or two, or... well, more for that matter.

Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi Ron,

Welcome here! Turning Wheels August 1987 has the detailed information on the 1940 Commanders. This issue is still available to SDC members thru the web site portal at: www.studebakerdriversclub.com Click: Turning Wheels Magazine, Slide: Turning Wheels Back Issues, Second Para: Member Area.

So, if not yet, join the SDC

IIRC in a conversation with Dick Quinn the 1940 Commander Coupe production figures have never been compiled. Given about 30,000 Commander of all models built in 1940 the Coupes would be the lowest production volume. Even at 10-15% of the 1040 production the attrition rate is likely high given years passing and so you have a relatively rare model.

Recent posts on 1940 parts and your questions are more likely to get answered at: http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/ Clickj thru the links to the ASC/AACA sponsored forum. If you are really interested in pre war Studebakers joing the ASC too.

Renovation parts and supplies are often available from known Studebaker vendors and many advertise in the ASC publication classifeds.

Good Luck with your 1940 Coupe!

Henry Votel,
                  Forest Lake, MN
                  Moderator: Editors & Publishers Forum
                  Henry Votel,
                  Forest Lake, MN
                  Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

My car is a President Eight Club Sedan, not a coupe. Much more scarce than the Commander Six coupe. See: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...archTerms=1940

Special Interest Autos

Richard Quinn
                    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks to Dick Quinn for correcting my recollection about the production numbers on the 1940 Studebakers. Now I know too.

Henry Votel,
                      Forest Lake, MN
                      Moderator: Editors & Publishers Forum
                      Henry Votel,
                      Forest Lake, MN
                      Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Working...
                      X