side mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side mirrors

Been taking my 56 wagon out on very short shake down rides and been putting off adding side mirrors as I don't think it came with them(assuming this as there were none on when I bought the car and I don't remember any holes). Well it looks like I will need to consider adding them as it is extremely hard to back up without them. Did these attach to the doors or fenders?? Where there different types??? thanks

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

Been taking my 56 wagon out on very short shake down rides and been putting off adding side mirrors as I don't think it came with them(assuming this as there were none on when I bought the car and I don't remember any holes). Well it looks like I will need to consider adding them as it is extremely hard to back up without them. Did these attach to the doors or fenders?? Where there different types??? thanks
    You may not have had mirrors. They were always optional. You can mount them either place. However, you can see much better when they are closer to you (like on the doors). If you want authenticity, SI sells very good reproduction mirrors that are identified to the years for which they were correct.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If they are optional on the doors or fenders here's something to ponder:
      We have a 63 Avanti with the mirrors out on the fenders. While they make the car look pretty sporty, it takes either two people to adjust the mirrors(one directing which way to adjust, one to adjust), or a man with 8 feet of arm to reach out the passenger door. With a door mount, its just a matter of reaching out the window to move the mirror up or down.

I myself like the door mount because of the latter reason. No need to permanently get someone to adjust the mirrors for you

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

'63,'64 Avanti-Fenders. All others-Doors.

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

'63,'64 Avanti-Fenders. All others-Doors.

Richard
          My '56 sedan came to me with all original paint and the mirror was mounted on the fender. Probaly dealer installed, but mounted there from new.

Comment

My 53 came (to me) with a fender mounted driver's outside mirror. It's almost useless, too far away.

My '55 came (to me) with holes for mounting mirrors on the doors. The right side mirror is useless, the vent window frame bisects it vertically. Left works fine.

I have no idea, of course, if these were factory or dealer installed.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

My '56 wagon came (to me) with them on the doors.

Fender or door would be correct. Your choice.

I too prefer them on the door.

Comment

In the restoration of my Avanti, I'm adding a right side mirror (bought as a Christmas present by my lovely wife from S-I)...and I've been talking to Allen Barth about where we'll put the mirrors after he's done with the bodywork.

While I love the look of them on the fenders, but I think we'll go with the doors because they're closer, easier to see and adjust.

Bit of warning...before you drill holes, make sure the vent window can still open.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

templates for mounting accessories are available on the S.D.C. home page under tech tips. Look up the AC number and see if the templates are available.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by doug

templates for mounting accessories are available on the S.D.C. home page under tech tips. Look up the AC number and see if the templates are available.
                    IIRC, mirror templates are the one type that aren't available because the location is optional.

Chip
                    '63 Cruiser daily driver
                    '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The Daytona will get two mirrors on the doors. The Commander will get no mirrors because they weigh too much...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Drove the wagon again today and I got to get mirrors. Never realized how much I use them until I don't have them. They will go on the doors and thanks for the vent window tip. Don't really care about org. in that detail. I am going to try to determine what are the biggest(within reason of coarse) and the lightest. Thanks everyone.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Another suggestion,
                          Most of the repopped mirrors don't swivel as far as the originals did. You may want to angle one to the max and have someone position it before you drill any holes, making certain it will also clear the vent window. A right side mirror is almost certain to be useless.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                          X