Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Studebaker...

...although I don't have it yet:

I sealed the deal this a.m. (outside of eBay).

It's a driver. Thanks much to the two Bobs (you know who you are!) for the advice and encouragement!

The seller said he could store it until around the first of March, so that will save some storage issues.

I remember this car from growing up in Greenville, PA. The original owners had it until 1990! My friend Ed Filer sold the car new at his family dealership. It's a Canadian 259. I have photocopies of the window sticker, bill of sale, and Studebaker dealer service invoices from new 'til Oct. '67.

I had made photocopies of the eBay ad and sent them to the original owner and his wife a few weeks back (whom I've met once and talked to on the phone a couple times). Just yesterday I got a card from him, thanking me for the ad and that he photocopied it and sent one to the former Stude dealer's Service Manager and another to the last Stude mechanic he dealt with, who now lives in Florida!

Small world. I thought the car looked like the one I remembered, and I knew it was sold to a guy in Wisconsin in 1990, and when I compared serial nos. from documentation I had to the eBay ad, discovered it was the same car!

Though I probably can't afford it right now, I took the bait!

Better pictures later, hopefully.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

...although I don't have it yet:

I sealed the deal this a.m. (outside of eBay).

It's a driver. Thanks much to the two Bobs (you know who you are!) for the advice and encouragement!

The seller said he could store it until around the first of March, so that will save some storage issues.

I remember this car from growing up in Greenville, PA. The original owners had it until 1990! My friend Ed Filer sold the car new at his family dealership. It's a Canadian 259. I have photocopies of the window sticker, bill of sale, and Studebaker dealer service invoices from new 'til Oct. '67.

I had made photocopies of the eBay ad and sent them to the original owner and his wife a few weeks back (whom I've met once and talked to on the phone a couple times). Just yesterday I got a card from him, thanking me for the ad and that he photocopied it and sent one to the former Stude dealer's Service Manager and another to the last Stude mechanic he dealt with, who now lives in Florida!

Small world. I thought the car looked like the one I remembered, and I knew it was sold to a guy in Wisconsin in 1990, and when I compared serial nos. from documentation I had to the eBay ad, discovered it was the same car!

Though I probably can't afford it right now, I took the bait!

Better pictures later, hopefully.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Congrats Bill!! Looks like a nice one. A weekend of cleaning and 'Lark Shining' and you'll be ready.

I know where there is a Skytop roof section for sale, in case you want a 'one of a kind' '64 Daytona.....

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I'll reply two ways, the PC way, and the JDP way.

PC way: Lovely car, you did great.

JDP way: Lovely car, you did great. If you want to make it even nicer,just detail under the hood and trunk,lose the home made caution fan decal, add the correct radiator cap and repro trunk mat. Fix the minor rust and give her new paint and some new shiny bits and you'll have a stunning hardtop.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I'll reply two ways, the PC way, and the JDP way.

PC way: Lovely car, you did great.

JDP way: Lovely car, you did great. If you want to make it even nicer,just detail under the hood and trunk,lose the home made caution fan decal, add the correct radiator cap and repro trunk mat. Fix the minor rust and give her new paint and some new shiny bits and you'll have a stunning hardtop.

JDP/Maryland
        Thanks, I can take it!

I did notice that in the close-up pictures, the paint really looks lighter and brighter than Strato Blue.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Congrats too, Bill!!
          Nothing better than a car you've known since new.
          And worth a little (or lot) extra because of it.
          I watched that car on ebay too, but with a daughter in college,
          well, you know!

Comment

Way to GO Bill!

Welcome to the '64 world. Can't wait to see her in person.
            JWW

Comment

You'll love that car, 64's are kinda special.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Nice car Bill! Welcome to the clan...of '64 Daytona Hardtop owners that is!

I have 2 Hardtops, and four Daytona Sedans!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks like a great find. Your dash vinyl looks good in the pictures. Somewhere in my stash of parts, I have 2 nos vinyl dash covers. I don't know if it is for the same year or the correct color for yours. Just make a note and drop me an e-mail if you are interested. Good luck with the car!
                  [img][/img]

John Clary
                  Greer, SC
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Congrats Bill - Looks like a fun ride! [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Best looking "compact" of the 60's. Enjoy!!!

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

My congrats as well, Bill. I just love the story of how this one came to you after all that time[^] Any of us would enjoy having that in our garage, but none more than you; I get a grin just imagining how much you'll enjoy driving it!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Sheesh! It's about time this cat got out of the bag![^] He was getting a little gamy in there.

Congrats, Bill; you know '64s are special in the Studebaker world...the famous "do or die" model year.

Unfortunately......[8] BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bill,

Who would want a '64 Daytona HT??? Does this mean that you won't be buying raffle tickets on next year's Keystone raffle car?

I have some parts that you may need in my Daytona stash. Post some pictures when you get it home.

Jim Bradley
                            Lewistown PA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            Jim Bradley
                            Lake Monticello, VA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice car Bill.....love those '64 HT's

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                              "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X