WAKE UP PEOPLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAKE UP PEOPLE

This place is getting like alt. auto studebaker. You are running off more people than you are getting new members. Any body that shows a car the first thing is start nit picking it to death. This is suppose to be a place of encouragement not a place to run everything down. If someone gets a new Studebaker they are proud of it. If they ask for a opinion then give it to them period. I was always told when I was growing up if you can't say something nice about something KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL TRY AND GET ALONG AND GET THE ONES WE HAVE LOST BACK AND MAKE THIS A FUN AND INFORMATIVE PLACE LIKE IT USED TO BE. END OF MY RANT.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

I guess I missed it, but what post caused the rant?

John Clary
    Greer, SC
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

There was no post in question. It's just the attitude everybody is having. Why do you think everybody is leaving. If it's not the reason we need to figure out what it is and take care of it.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

I get what you mean..but remember..there are only a few. Most everyone here are extremely supportive and helpful.

Comment

I think we do pretty darn well for being a bunch of old geezers!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

Why do you think everybody is leaving.
            With all respect, I ask two questions:

1. Where do you get that "everybody" is leaving?? I don't see anything like that; look at the number of threads and posts per day; it doesn't add up.

2. Doesn't a thread that starts with a "rant" actually add to the perceived problem?

People come and go constantly. People's involvement and participation increases and decreases constantly- some go away and come back later. And, we have more new members all the time. Yes, people lose their temper and storm off sometimes- that's their choice. But most, having been involved in a disagreement, keep their heads and move on. If someone works themselves into a lather over forum chat that is SO easy to misunderstand, that's on them.

You are right on about the nitpicking, and using imperfections to show off how much one knows; that just gives the owner of the subject vehicle a bad taste in their mouth re: the forum. And those that stand up for the owners of less-than-perfect cars take arrows for doing so occasionally. That's OK- we all have opinions, state them and keep going.

Nobody's perfect; and we're all different. So if somebody gets upset- or bored- or just loses interest, that's up to the individual. But that's no indication the forum's going to heck in a handbasket.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

A person would have to be pretty thin skinned to get upset with MOST of the posts on this forum. I will admit that after getting flamed by a member, who posts fairly often about performance matters, I removed my comments on that particular post. Anyway, it did not run me off, it just made me more careful about what I share. I try to be kind if I comment on a car or truck, but I do have opinions.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ivorydan

I think we do pretty darn well for being a bunch of old geezers!
                Hey now, speak for yourself![]

I can understand the whole nitpick thing myself, I KNOW my Lark is FAR from perfect. She has bondo, non-matching interior colors, Maaco paint, a Vanity that sags, Incorrect chrome trim, and squeaky bushings that need replaced! (I am going to work on that last one!!) Among a ton of other things that I do not want to expose...okay, one...When the guys that fixed it up did their handy work, they pop-riveted sheet metal over some of the bad rust spots, you can only see them when the back doors are open, on the wheel arches. they aren't that big, thank goodness!

There, I nitpicked my own car! Now it is out in the open!

Personally, I this is my favorite place on the internet to visit. I have recieved many tips and have had fun here, and I doubt that anyone could drive me away![8D]

(that is the nice way of saying you guys are stuck with me!)

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

Wow...

This topic reads more like something I'd see on one of the airplane fora I (used to) frequent...in fact one of those fora is the third iteration of the same basic message board...its two predecessors having shut down to ward off legal action!

This place has its moments, sure; and always in any group of people you're going to find that some are irascible, some are opinionated, and some are both...but by and large I've found the tone on here civil and convivial from my first visit to the present.

My Lark, too, is very far from perfect; in my case I actually wanted a slightly scruffy car, one I didn't have to be afraid to drive...Betty is a nostalgia machine, acquired to have fun with, nothing more nor less. And I've never had someone carp about the car; on the contrary, I've had plenty of "that's a sweet little Lark" style comments when I've posted pix (which has been often)...in turn, I try to do other forumites the same courtesy when they exhibit their cars on the forum.

Then there's my, ah, level of mechanical knowledge. I know quite a bit more now than I did in mid-2007 when I bought the Lark; most of that is due to this forum (and offline contacts with other SDCers)...but I still have a ton to learn. Despite that, I'll come on here with yet another dumb query...and get only help.

I like it here...especially compared to some other fora. I don't plan on departing; and I sincerely hope no one else is leaning that way either..."the more the merrier" is not a cliche for nothing!

Steve T

Comment

I don't see the mass exodus. There's rules here, and that's a good thing. As you observed, the old newsgroup degraded to where there's only a few stalwarts that can't abide the thought of moderation - or SDC for that matter. Their loss.

I've butted heads with bams and others here that think the only talk about cars on ebay and elsewheres should be angelic in nature (or mute). I don't go to church, but some folks that I know who do - they rarely do what the preacher suggests, once they're outside the church. Disneyland's a fantasy - not a reflection of what's real.

This forum is alot more tame than the real world. From accounts of folks who know, this forum's a veritable pillar of internet friendliness.

Life ain't all gold stars and rewards. It's knocks and tough words too. You learn from BOTH ends of the spectrum - not just the goody-goody end.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We've had this discussion before. I don't think the nitpicking is done for the sake of nitpicking. Its more often done to illustrate the changes needed to make a car evolve into a correctly done car vs. a modified. There's always going to be a bad apple, but for the most part, I think we do a pretty good job of keeping the rabble in line. I've been put in my place before and I just saw it for what it was. Justifiable criticism. I took it like a man and apologized. No harm, no foul. I haven't pouted since I was 4 yrs old.

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

I can't add a thing to what Bams, Biggs and Sals54 said...and they are three very different people. [^] I never see anyone's forum car picked on and trashed. I only see eBay cars talked about and discussions about what looks good or not for a sale. The general discussion forum is supposed to be related to Studebakers. Most are valid, since they are just opinions. Not sure why some have left the forum, but it doesn't feel like a mass. I've learned so much here and have learned to appreciate cars I hadn't previously. 95% of the posts seem positive and a help to someone. Some people's agendas just aren't to help anyone unless it's self-serving. They are probably like that all day long. ST2DE5, you are one of the positive, encouraging ones. I, for one, appreciate it.

Comment

I haven't seen anything close to anyone being rude to another poster on this site, I have been on various forums for the past decade, and car forum guys are far an away the rudest, but that doesn't apply here. Nothing but good guys here and furthermore, who wants people here that don't want to be here

Comment

I also, just want to toss my 2-cents in, and say that even though I have only been on here for a relatively short time, I have always been treated like a good, old, friend. I'm new to Studes, and there is always help and encouragement, even when I ask a question that has probably already been asked and answered a thousand times.

As for myself, I always try to remember one simple rule when dealing with others: I wont speak to or treat anyone, in any way that I wouldnt have spoken to or treated my own mother.

Comment

.........and I don't even know your mother.

sals54
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X