Avanti vs. Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti vs. Avanti II

I was looking at the show winners in the current issue of turning wheels, and I noticed a 1967 Avanti picture next to a 1967 Avanti II picture. I looked as hard as I could, and I cannot figure it out. What is the difference between the Avanti and the Avanti II? Is it a size thing? Or maybe an engine/drivetrain difference? Just curious, thanks!!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

All 67s were Avanti II.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Anantis were only made in 63 & 64; all others were Avanti IIs. I believe all Avanti IIs used Chevy engines. Others will know for sure.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The originals were "Studebaker" Avanti's Built in '63 & '64 only, as stated. (Actually no '64s were built after Dec. 1963)

The South Bend Studebaker dealer (Newman & Altman) bought the rights to the car from Studebaker and the ones they built were called Avanti II's. They first used Corvette engines. The front wheel well openings are larger on the Studebaker version and were "filled-in" on the Avanti II's. The front of the car was raised on the Avanti II's. I much prefer the "rake" of the original Studebaker Avanti.

The Avanti has a long and involved history. Way too much detail to get into here. I'd suggest you purchase a book on them. It will be money well spent.

Comment

I judged the Avanti II's and later models in Lancaster and both of the 67"s there were really nice cars since I own a 67 myself I kind of like them more than the others I guess i really like the chevy 327 engine. I don't know Ralph Quimby but his 390 point 67 was as nice as they come, I did have a talk with the other 67 owner Matthew Wendt and he is a younger member in the club but from a Studebaker family of Studebakers and you can count on his Avanti getting better next time out but his 389 points was not to bad either.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

The II's front ends were raised to accomodate the "taller" Chevy motor. Thus the "rake" was lost. The front fender wheel openings set to high as such the filler strip was added. Next time your near a II feel under the front fender. SI sells the filler strip.

Richard

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. I did not realize that all non-Studebaker Avanti's were considered Avanti II's I kinda thought that one was a "dumbed down" cheaper version or something, offered alongside each other after Studebaker sold the production rights. I guess that is all I was wondering. Thanks alot!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

quote:The II's front ends were raised to accomodate the "taller" Chevy motor.
                I have three Studes and a couple of SBCs out and on stands, but across town in winter storage. Anyone have a SBC alongside a Studebaker V8 just now? If so, find that dimension on the SBC which is taller than the Stude. It must be the air cleaner or the front balance damper. However, when I measured the major components, the Stude is taller, wider and heavier in every exterior dimension. Look at the '65-66 cars and the SBC looks little and lost in an engine compartment designed for the Studebaker V8. Would appreciate anyone with the two side-by-side giving us the specifics of where the SBC is taller. Here are the major areas where the SBC is smaller:

1. The Stude V8 blocks are a full inch taller on each deck; 10.065" versus 9.025" for the SBC.
                2. The blocks are about a half-inch longer - 4.500" bore spacing versus 4.400" for the SBC.
                3. The Stude valve angle and extended exhaust ports make the Stude heads much wider and taller than the SBC.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

I think the reason Avanti II's sit higher is because the SBC is lighter.

It seems like I've also read that maybe the SBC sitting higher up in the engine compartmant on Avanti II's had something to do with the oil pan.

Comment

The reason the Avanti II lost the rake is that Nate Altman didn't like it. He thought of the Avanti II as a "Gentleman's Cruiser" vs. Sherwood Egbert's "Hot Rod" concept. Steve Blake restored the rake (via low profile tires) in '83, and also dropped the "II" from the logo.

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I had a '72 Avanti II one time.
                      Just as "Retired" states, you could feel the original Studebaker cut-out inside the front wheelwells. I didn't realize they were all that way. I thought mine might have been in a front-end collision prior to my ownership. Apparently not.

"S2DSteve" brings up something else I've wondered about before.
                      If Blake restored the rake by using low profile tires, couldn't he have just used Studebaker front fenders. Especially if the cut-out was already there? Were the front springs different on II's?
                      I lowered the front on my '72 by using smaller tires (didn't know what low profile tires were back then), clamping the springs and fitting as large a rear tire as would fit.
                      Also, didn't Blake build his personal Avanti with the Studebaker front fenders?

Last but not least, in my opinion, "S2DSteve" owns the most beautiful Studebaker in the world! You should see this car in person!!!

Comment

I am one of those that were awestruck when the Studebaker Avanti was first introduced, considering it to be one the most desirable vehicles I'd ever seen, preferable even to the 'vettes, XKEs, and even the Ferrari's and other exotics of that time.
                        I was glad when production resumed post-Studebaker, and the Chevy engine didn't bother me at all, but that darnable jacked-up front clip totally turned me off to the Avanti II models.
                        No way would I want one, -unless- the front was dropped back to its original Studebaker configuration, I felt that strongly about it back then, and I still do today.
                        And no, the front clip DID NOT "need" to be raised for clearance of the Chevy engine, in fact I recall at least one Avanti II that was factory built using the earlier front end to satisfy a customer's request, as well a several others that have been converted to Chevy power without any altering of the original Studebaker profile.

Comment

Some Avanti II's had the filler pieces, some didn't. It was primarily the earlier II's that were really leftover Studebaker bodies that Molded Fiberglass was stuck with (something like 150 bodies I've read) when Studebaker discontinued the Avanti. They had to have the filler pieces added. At some point the body molds were modified so filler pieces were no longer needed. When I bought my '70 and took it for rebuilding we found it had one front panel with the filler piece and the other side was without. From paperwork that came with the car it had been in a collision at some point, so that likely accounts for the difference. Which was original to the car...who knows?

The change to the "rake" was simply body orientation on the frame...there was no engineering change to the frame itself. To the best of my knowledge there is no difference between front coil springs (or rear leaf springs) between Avanti and Avanti II's, though I do believe R3 (and maybe R4) equipped cars called for different (HD) front springs. Whether any were actually equipped that way I don't know.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

A Road Test that I have on an original Studebaker built R-3 notes that it does not have the rake of the other Avanti's, but I do not recall any mention of how or why the change in altitude was made, but my guess would be that it was done to clear that huge R-3 carb enclosure.

Comment

Perhaps the change to the front end height has taken on "urban myth" status. Many articles, books, etc., have written that the height of the Chevy engine required it, so it has become "fact". It's quite possible that Nate Altman, who is on record as not liking the rake of the original Avanti, simply said it was an engineering necessity so as not to say he had a choice. I'm not accusing Nate of being dishonest in any way, as from all accounts he was a true gentleman and honest businessman, and we all owe him a great debt of thanks for saving the Avanti and providing so many more of them to be owned and enjoyed. It was his car, his company and his decision to make the car any way he desired to suit the market he was aiming for.

Comment

Working...
                              X