PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

Dick Steinkamp
12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
I received the following email today...

Dear Friends of Walt Zander, My name is Dave Kremer, Grace's son (walt's wife). I am sending an email from his computer to his address book adressee's. We have very sad news, Walt passed away today Dec 1. While doing snow removal. Please have Wallys family and Wally in your prayers.

Sincerely,

Friends and loved ones of Wally

I know I should probably post this in the obituaries section, but I thought his friends who may not visit that section would like to know.

I've certainly enjoyed Walt's participation here. Always a gentleman.

I've communicated with him some off the forum also. His emails were interesting and witty. He enjoyed himself and his cars. Walt owned two special cars. A '49 Champion Starlight and a Miller/Allard replica built on a '52 Commander chassis. Commander 3 speed OD with the Commander rear end, BUT with a 1963 327 Corvette engine (no wonder I liked the guy [^].

http://static.flickr.com/105/311614437_dcaca63db4_o.jpg

We'll miss you Walt.

http://static.flickr.com/100/301465853_2dbe07b7c6_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

Roscomacaw
12-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Damn! Just last month, Walt contacted me to ask if I'd sell him some of the fine thread brass nuts for his Stude's exhaust manifolds. I told him I wouldn't sell him my nuts but that he could borrow them, long-term if he'd pay the postage.
As a joke, I packed the nuts in a plastic bag and made sure he'd have to dig thru the walnuts I'd filled the box with to hide them. I kept waiting for some kind of "ha-ha" e-mail from Walt but it didn't come.
Then about 2 weeks after I'd sent of the box of nuts, I get a box from Walt that's got about a 2" nut in it. One that has NO threads! The note included said that somehow, this seemed fitting to send to me.:D
We yukked it up about our exchange via E-mail eventually and I told Walt I'd thought about posting the story of our exchange to the forums except that I couldn't start a thread because my nut didn't have any!
Later Walt recounted how he'd tricked some squirrels into working for some of the walnuts I'd packed the brass ones in. That is until Walt realized how good they were. Not gonna waste these on those durned rodents, Walt exclaimed! It was evident Walt was a cool guy with a zany sense of humor. Wish I could have met him in person.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
12-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Damn! Just last month, Walt contacted me to ask if I'd sell him some of the fine thread brass nuts for his Stude's exhaust manifolds. I told him I wouldn't sell him my nuts but that he could borrow them, long-term if he'd pay the postage.
As a joke, I packed the nuts in a plastic bag and made sure he'd have to dig thru the walnuts I'd filled the box with to hide them. I kept waiting for some kind of "ha-ha" e-mail from Walt but it didn't come.
Then about 2 weeks after I'd sent of the box of nuts, I get a box from Walt that's got about a 2" nut in it. One that has NO threads! The note included said that somehow, this seemed fitting to send to me.:D
We yukked it up about our exchange via E-mail eventually and I told Walt I'd thought about posting the story of our exchange to the forums except that I couldn't start a thread because my nut didn't have any!
Later Walt recounted how he'd tricked some squirrels into working for some of the walnuts I'd packed the brass ones in. That is until Walt realized how good they were. Not gonna waste these on those durned rodents, Walt exclaimed! It was evident Walt was a cool guy with a zany sense of humor. Wish I could have met him in person.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

bams50
12-02-2006, 05:37 AM
I never met or corresponded with Mr. Zander... which is a shame...

I was looking through his posts- forever totalling 113- and found he was born in 1936... interesting to read his take on different things; but I seemed to remember something specific about his enthusiasm, and found it; and I repeat it below.

Made a tear come to my eye; then a smile, knowing he realized a dream before he left us.

Here it is, dated 8/28/06:

Acquiring a Dream

At a tender age in 1949 I saw my first Stude a ’49 Champion Starlight Coupe. It became apparent to me later that this could be termed my "first love." Frequent sightings of this auto in our small town further fueled my dreams. After many a comment to my school mates that someday I would own one of those beauties, this resulted in sneers from many who were into popular name autos and scoffed at my enthusiasm for the Starlight Champion. My father listened to me rave about this forward looking gem and mentioned that this too would pass, like my love for the American Flyer sled instead of my generic Monarch hand me down. With relocation and vocation and a variety of reasons, the years have passed rapidly and I was never able to lay claim to a dream which never really faded. This past year on a pleasant day which happened to be our anniversary, we were traveling the back roads to a luncheon in a nearby town. There atop a hill with its nose close to the road stood my childhood dream with a sign in the windshield, a Midnight Blue (same color as first sighting) 1949 Studebaker Starlight Deluxe Champion 2Dr. Coupe. My demands to my neighbor who was chauffeuring at the time, that I would prefer he turn around and let me take another view. My trips around the car only added to the drooling and dreaming that I was encountering. Since no one was presently home my first thought was to convince our driver of a quick meal and to return this same route, post haste. After dining we retraced our tracks and upon pulling into the driveway I noticed the owner puttering in his garage. Conversation with this elderly gent was thorough and we were obviously on the same plain. His attempts to point out the plus features of the car were falling on deaf ears, and he knew it. He was aware of my posture and the obvious gleam in my eye, this could not be hidden like so many other times at purchasing various automobiles. The gentleman and I reached an agreement and shook hands, with me indicating I would return the following day with the proper compensation to complete the transaction. How fortuitous that I was to come upon such a find on this particular celebratory day. The next day required a minor repair to a faulty fuel line and correcting a sediment bowl condition, I was homeward bound with a smile that stretched wide. "Annie" whom I now call her for obvious reasons handled the trip with ease considering her age. Presently this Stude sits in my work bay of the garage and awaits updates and repairs, to fulfill a dream. Sound metal all around (South Dakota is where she resided for many a year) thus the replacement of only critical components is first priority. Annie deserves and will receive all efforts of “TLC”.
Thanks for reading.

Godspeed Mr. Zander; we'll all follow you eventually, and until then, enjoy your fleet of forever perfect '49 Coupes.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bams50
12-02-2006, 05:37 AM
I never met or corresponded with Mr. Zander... which is a shame...

I was looking through his posts- forever totalling 113- and found he was born in 1936... interesting to read his take on different things; but I seemed to remember something specific about his enthusiasm, and found it; and I repeat it below.

Made a tear come to my eye; then a smile, knowing he realized a dream before he left us.

Here it is, dated 8/28/06:

Acquiring a Dream

At a tender age in 1949 I saw my first Stude a ’49 Champion Starlight Coupe. It became apparent to me later that this could be termed my "first love." Frequent sightings of this auto in our small town further fueled my dreams. After many a comment to my school mates that someday I would own one of those beauties, this resulted in sneers from many who were into popular name autos and scoffed at my enthusiasm for the Starlight Champion. My father listened to me rave about this forward looking gem and mentioned that this too would pass, like my love for the American Flyer sled instead of my generic Monarch hand me down. With relocation and vocation and a variety of reasons, the years have passed rapidly and I was never able to lay claim to a dream which never really faded. This past year on a pleasant day which happened to be our anniversary, we were traveling the back roads to a luncheon in a nearby town. There atop a hill with its nose close to the road stood my childhood dream with a sign in the windshield, a Midnight Blue (same color as first sighting) 1949 Studebaker Starlight Deluxe Champion 2Dr. Coupe. My demands to my neighbor who was chauffeuring at the time, that I would prefer he turn around and let me take another view. My trips around the car only added to the drooling and dreaming that I was encountering. Since no one was presently home my first thought was to convince our driver of a quick meal and to return this same route, post haste. After dining we retraced our tracks and upon pulling into the driveway I noticed the owner puttering in his garage. Conversation with this elderly gent was thorough and we were obviously on the same plain. His attempts to point out the plus features of the car were falling on deaf ears, and he knew it. He was aware of my posture and the obvious gleam in my eye, this could not be hidden like so many other times at purchasing various automobiles. The gentleman and I reached an agreement and shook hands, with me indicating I would return the following day with the proper compensation to complete the transaction. How fortuitous that I was to come upon such a find on this particular celebratory day. The next day required a minor repair to a faulty fuel line and correcting a sediment bowl condition, I was homeward bound with a smile that stretched wide. "Annie" whom I now call her for obvious reasons handled the trip with ease considering her age. Presently this Stude sits in my work bay of the garage and awaits updates and repairs, to fulfill a dream. Sound metal all around (South Dakota is where she resided for many a year) thus the replacement of only critical components is first priority. Annie deserves and will receive all efforts of “TLC”.
Thanks for reading.

Godspeed Mr. Zander; we'll all follow you eventually, and until then, enjoy your fleet of forever perfect '49 Coupes.

Parish, central NY 13131

Anne F. Goodman
12-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Gosh Walt was such a kindred spirit. Walt contacted me when we started posting pictures of Mabel on the forum. He wanted to share that his favorite car was named Annie. he got a kick out of Mabel being driven by Anne. It was like Anne Driving Annie. Well maybe its one of those had to be there moments. Gosh would have loved to have met him in person. But I rest well for having the pleasure of conversing with him.
Forever in our Thoughts.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion
Gus 1958 Transtar

Anne F. Goodman
12-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Gosh Walt was such a kindred spirit. Walt contacted me when we started posting pictures of Mabel on the forum. He wanted to share that his favorite car was named Annie. he got a kick out of Mabel being driven by Anne. It was like Anne Driving Annie. Well maybe its one of those had to be there moments. Gosh would have loved to have met him in person. But I rest well for having the pleasure of conversing with him.
Forever in our Thoughts.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion
Gus 1958 Transtar

Roscomacaw
12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
bams50,

Thanks for bringing that piece back up. I remember reading it the first time. Reading it again, I realize why Walt wrote me one time to say that he appreciated my writings and my stories that are on another page of this site. He and I share virtually the same eyes and sentiments that we observe and write from! Walt was not unlike alot of aging Stude nuts in this world. He was one of many and yet an only one.
The world's a bit poorer for his passing and yet richer for the tracks he's left on it. If there's a Heaven out there, surely Walt will have an Annie to putter around in and plenty of good company to share it with.:)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
bams50,

Thanks for bringing that piece back up. I remember reading it the first time. Reading it again, I realize why Walt wrote me one time to say that he appreciated my writings and my stories that are on another page of this site. He and I share virtually the same eyes and sentiments that we observe and write from! Walt was not unlike alot of aging Stude nuts in this world. He was one of many and yet an only one.
The world's a bit poorer for his passing and yet richer for the tracks he's left on it. If there's a Heaven out there, surely Walt will have an Annie to putter around in and plenty of good company to share it with.:)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

bams50
12-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Do any of you have an e-mail for Walt's family? They might get some comfort out of reading what he wrote in the narrative above... I thought about sending it to his address link, but not sure it'd be seen...

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
12-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Do any of you have an e-mail for Walt's family? They might get some comfort out of reading what he wrote in the narrative above... I thought about sending it to his address link, but not sure it'd be seen...

Parish, central NY 13131