Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona Winter Studebaker Celebration (Many Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Winter Studebaker Celebration (Many Pics)

John's back in town, so we decided to get a babysitter for the kids and go out on a date. What better place to spend a Saturday than at a Studebaker gathering? We loaded up the truck (Karl the Lark has to stay home until he can get there on his own 4 tires) and headed out to Gold Canyon (east of Phoenix) for the Grand Canyon Chapter of the SDC's Winter Studebaker Celebration. It was a gorgeous day with temperatures in the 70's. There was a great turn-out of Studebaker owners from all around the country, with representation from the Avanti Club and the Antique Studebaker Club. What a wonderful opportunity to see many vehicles and learn more about these fascinating cars (John, for instance, learned that Avantis could be ordered with shag carpeting...gotta love the 70's!). Here are just a few pictures from today's gathering. Thanks again to our host Richard Dormois and our local chapter for another memorable Studebaker event!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

I won't ask about the blown '55 Connie~
    I know whose it is, and my paw prints may still be on it~

but that '54 (and/or the '58 & '37) on the other hand~ do tell!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
    San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Great pictures! I have two feet of snow and below zero degrees here. The weather alone looks exciting. Nice group of cars, looks like red wheels are very popular. [8D] Thanks for sharing.

Comment

All right, Dave, remember who you are talking to here. We can take the pictures, but our knowledge doesn't go as far as identifying the vehicles yet. Maybe a member of our chapter who visits the forum can help us out here. John did get a close look at the '55 and didn't see a single paw/finger print on it. The blue one belongs to Malcolm Stinson, Jr. from Show Low, AZ, and only has 12-13,000 original miles on it (can't remember the exact number, but it's pretty impressive and has been verified). Hope that gets you started...

John and Tracy Smith
        Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

What a BEAUTIFUL day! And it looks like the weather was pretty nice, too...

Thanks for sharing the fun with these pics :-)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
          In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
          If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

PS: And o say can you see? Just a-port of the red '64 Daytona Convertible Of My Dreams there sits another flip-front Hawk like SBCA96 Tom's (or the one he designed, anyway, that's now on his buddy Gary's Sky Hawk: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?TOPIC_ID=8122

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

All right, Dave, remember who you are talking to here. John did get a close look at the '55 and didn't see a single paw/finger print on it. The blue one belongs to Malcolm Stinson, Jr. from Show Low, AZ, and only has 12-13,000 original miles on it (can't remember the number, but it's pretty impressive and has been verified). Hope that gets you started... John and Tracy Smith
            Opps~ sorry guys!!! That '54 sure does look alot like one I know of (or used to) that was up near where I lived before I joined the NAVY 20+ years ago~
            it was also a very low mileage car for it's age, but not quite that low!!! [:0] (I don't think)
            Maybe one day soon, I'll be back up that way, and can check in on it... [?] [?] [?]

As for the '55- no surprize there- Bob and Mimi keep their cars (and trucks) in primo shape.
            I knew they'd have my slobber and prints cleaned up by now!!! [^]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

John/Tracy: The '37 is the long, low silver number that looks like a real high-class gangster's car, with the steeple in the background and John's shadow in the foreground (seventh photo down) and the '58 is the copper-colored two-door hardtop with the white top and white fins in the picture right below it.

You'll be able to rattle off IDs like this in your sleep in another six months or so. Trust me... :-)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Now that I look at it- I think the '58 is that one from Palm Springs...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                sometimes wrong... [:0]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I love 'em all! Thanks for posting these. Can anyone identify the "horseless" in the 2nd pic?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I am pretty sure the 37 belongs to Jerry Kaiser from Marana, AZ. I remember seeing it when it was about 80% done and it sure looks fabulous now!

Reviving an early Lark
                    sigpic
                    JohnP, driving & reviving
                    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

1902 Studebaker Electric (replica) Built and owned by Dan Talbot, he also owns the beatiful 57 GH.

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

I love 'em all! Thanks for posting these. Can anyone identify the "horseless" in the 2nd pic?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thats me in the cowboy hat walking in front of my 64 Avanti.
                        Denny L

Comment

January Stude meets in AZ are the best! And my wife and I won the 50-50 drawing. The long(240 mile) drive from Yuma would have been worth it even if we had not won. Apologies again to Steve Fein for buying the winning ticket from under his nose. In the background of last picture is Frank Van Doorn's beautiful '41 with its hood up. Dan Talbot's '02 electric runabout is a recreation of Stude's first, I believe, car they made. Dan did the work himself!
                          Thanks, John, for the pictures. I meant to make your acquaintance and got distracted by the cars.

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

That's one of the best collections, car for car, I've ever seen. So many interesting cars! Needs more Larks, though

Thanks for sharing!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

John and Tracey, thanks for the pictures, looks like it was a beautiful day
                              whats under the hood of your truck? also the lifted studebaker truck looks really interesting.
                              love the wagon with the supercharger on it

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X