700R installation in a Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R installation in a Cruiser

I received a phone call from a fella tonight who has a 66 Cruiser that he wants to install a 700R overdrive transmission in. He found my name on the Cruiser registry and thought maybe I had some experience with this (I do not). He doesn't have a computer, but I took his name and number and said I'd ask the knowledgeable people on the forum what they thought.

He has a mechanic that can do most of the work for him, but wondered if anyone had ever done this and what was he up against.

Namely...

1. How do you handle the shift quadrants being different?
    2. The 700R is longer than the Flightomatic. Is there a driveshaft that will work or will he have to cut his current driveshaft.
    3. Any mounting issues to be aware of?

If anyone can help, I'll relay the information to him.

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

I am curious as well..........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bowtie Overdrives (.com) will have most of what he needs. Remove the quadrant in the steering wheel... the 700R4 has its own. Bowtie has the shift indicators, but he will probably have to send his old one to them for them to match up. Also, he will have to file the indicator to make it fit the indicator frame. Bring his drive shaft to a company that specializes in drive shaft modifications. Big trucks often have to have modifications, so these type shops are plentiful. Since it had a G.M. engine already, there shouldn't be as many modifications as on a Studebaker engined car.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
      Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Hi I recently installed a 700r4 in my 66 Daytona.A tranny shop converted the electronic speedo to cable.You have to remove a pressed spacer in the end of the 283 crankshaft so the larger end of the 700 converter will fit in the crank.Evertghing else bolts right up,it also bolted right onto the rear crossmember.I had a truck drive shaft which was shortened,the original drive shatwas too short. I am using a Hurst floor shift.I redid the steering column so there is no gearshift indicater or lever hole

Ray Martin

Comment

Working...
        X