PDA

View Full Version : new 1154 bulbs too long for socket ????

bradnree
11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I've had this problem before. I bought new 6v bulbs today for a '52 Commander. I tried installing the bulbs in the tail sockets and they will not go it far enough to turn and lock. I pulled the wires up as far as they would go and still not enough room. What is the fix for this ???. Also I believe in the park lights I bought 1138's and have the same problem..thanks...brad

Lark Parker
11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Compare the new bulb barrels with the old ones.

Sometimes a little can be filed off the solder contact on the bulb end to shorten and get the clearance needed.

If the height is a problem sometimes the spring length can be reduced by cutting off or replacing it. This reduces the height of the compressed spring which, right now, is fully collapsed and cannot squeeze any shorter.

I presume you have checked the locking ear position (height from end) on the new bulbs and see whether the new bulbs have a staggered height as compared to the old bulb which has the pins at the same height.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/caryreduced.jpg
Lark Parker aka Trim Trader

blackhawk
12-01-2006, 12:51 AM
quote:I tried installing the bulbs in the tail sockets and they will not go it far enough to turn and lock.Brad - check to make sure the contacts will actually move inside the socket. Sometimes they are frozen in the position they assumed when in contact with the old bulb. If the lead contacts on the bulb base are worn flat, as they sometimes are from being removed and reinstalled a few times, and the contacts in the socket cannot move down further for the greater length of the new, unworn contact points, then you can't get the bulb in far enough to turn and lock it in place. Dale

bradnree
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Problem solved...I installed new sockets made by "Caltherm" and purchased at O'reilly's. On the front of the '52 I drove the old socket out and drove in the new socket. Used 1154 bulbs 6v front and back. The old ones were rusty, springs shot, corrosion...Brad

Mike
12-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Rhode Island Wiring has contacts, washers and springs; if you want to rebuild your original sockets.
Mike M.

bradnree
12-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the wire source. I did keep the sockets for future use....Brad