fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump

oil coming out hole in top of fuel pump, installed new pump same think , whats up ? can I plug hole thanks gary, 259 in 54 k body

Wow... thats a new one... Isn't it a mechanical fuel pump? I'm unfamilar with this pump but if you get oil in your fuel pump could you be getting gas in your oil as well? How about a pic?

You can't Spell Studebaker without STUD!

Comment

Using the search feature will set you free ! Rich's answer to the same question (and previous questions) is spot on. New pumps leak due to numerous problems. Finding an original pump and rebuilding that pump would solve your problems.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

...if you remember way back maybe last year or 2006 when you were building the car, I am almost sure without searching your hundreds of answered questions that I or someone told you the best route to go on fuel pumps is rebuild an old original (OEM) Carter pump. Well, this is the reason! [:0] [V]

If we did not recommend that to you specifically, I am sure it was on one of the other DOZENS of complaint posts about the aftermarket Airtex copy of the poor quality AC (GM) replacement V-8 fuel pump leaking oil that have been posted since you have been on the Forum.

It is the actuating lever PIN that is the source, which is driven through the case. A very poor method, if the internal (crankcase to vent air) seal in the pump leaked, it would come out the vent, some do but most are at the pin which should not be there, rocking back and forth in the first place.

When I carry one of these as a "on the road" spare (which is all they are good for!) I use a center punch to slightly peen the case at each end of the pin to lock it, and then seal the hole on each end with silicone gasket sealer to "reduce" the oil pouring.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

thanks will try 318 mopar pump, from tech pape

Comment

Working...
        X