buying a '50 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a '50 champion

Are there any areas that I should check for rust that make the car unsafe. 2) when looking to buy this car, should I be aware of any parts that might be worn out and not available
    Thanks I'll be looking at this car tomorrow (Saturday 10th)

Welcome Bob,Of course you will want to check everything underneath for rust.Frame rails and supports,body mounts,spring mounts etc.. and if its bad enough I guess even the floor could be hazardous.Mechanical parts seem to be no problem to get.You didnt mention wahat body style this champion is and some of the body parts can be hard to find in good shape.If its pretty solid and reasonably priced I would go for it.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Depending upon what part of the country you live in, rust out behind the stone guards on the front of the rear fenders can be a problem. Mine looked ok until I removed the rubber guards. I could put my hand right through to the inner fenders on both sides. The rest of the car had minor rust. Check for lots of bondo. A magnet will not stick to bondo. Look under the floor mats and check the frame for rust or bends (caused by an accident). Also look down the sides of the vehicle for straightness and check to see that the doors, hood and trunk are in alignment. If its a running car, see if its possible to have a mechanic put it on a lift to check for problems. Good luck.

Comment

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Gee "Wolfie", JMCCarro and Jclary, that was a super quick response and I appreciate it. I do live in snowy climate and your suggestions will come in handy. I will be checking out the car tomorrow
          Bob

Comment

Rusty floorboards and trunk floors are common. So common in fact that they are readily available in reproduction patch panels. Check this site: classicent.com.
            While the suspension is unique to that year, I believe most wear parts are readily available.
            On the otherhand, exterior pot metal trim is getting hard to come by--at least in good condition. I think (maybe) tail light bezels were recently reproduced. That's about it.

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Hey Bob:
              Did you buy it? Dan

Comment

Working...
              X