This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Color Similarity?

'Working on the February 2007 Co-Operator, here, and came up with an idea that results in a question:

Has anyone ever technically compared Studebaker's grungy (sorry, but it is![:0]) 1961-1962 Autumn Haze with the late 1990s General Motors truck/SUV color Smokey Carmel? You might be inclined to say, "Well, they do look similar..." but I'm wondering if anyone has actually seen them side-by-side and if so, might an SDCer wanting a later color consider Smokey Carmel appropriate for a complete repaint of an Autumn Haze Studebaker? [?]

No need for an immediate reply; I'm not going to use it in February's Co-Operator anyhow, but would appreciate having the opinion of any paint experts. (Our own Advisor Gregg Lentini replied to a member that he wasn't aware of a direct match for Autumn Haze, but I happened to think of Smokey Carmel while reviewing this material.) [8D]

Thanks for any input/opinions. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I can look into this.

MIKE
    Thanks, Mike; a technical report/post would be appreciated. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I can look into this.

MIKE
      Thanks, Mike; a technical report/post would be appreciated. BP

Comment

Hi Bob,
        a colleague at work gave me a tip on car colours as he paints antique guitars and fender used old paint from auto manufacturers.

http://pc.dupont.com/bowstreet5/webengine/dpc/common/Controller/Action!_pageDispatcher/InnerModel!dpc/modules/Login/OuterModel!dpc/common/Controller/InnerAction!visitorAction

Anyway it is under Historcal colour chips History , then there is a launch button for "Launch the DuPont Refinish Historical Color Chip Library "

From that it will give you the paint formula and then you can compare it to the modern one.

Trust you are well. I think the last time I spoke to you was in 1993 from Zurich seeking advice on a cracked ring in the 63 R2 Avanti I had at the time. When I shipped the car from Toronto where I had been living for 3 years, for a European 3 month vacation, before heading back to Australia, I basically thrashed the worn motor a little bit too much. Gosh it was fun pushing the car to breaking point. That car is now owned by the President of the UK club and was the car I used to initially court my now wife when in Toronto. It was down to Warwick where we live recently. My 1937 Dictator used for our wedding in 2000 in Melbourne is now over in the UK. I have slowed down a little now and shifted more towards 1930's cars.

This may be off topic, but people always want youth in the club, but at 42 I always feel very young compared to most other owners of 1930's cars. There is plenty of room for new young owners of the real old bangers.
        I very much enjoy your articles in co-operator.

Regards
        Greg

Greg Diffen
        Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
        1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
        1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
        1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
        1988 Avanti Convertible
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Bob,
          a colleague at work gave me a tip on car colours as he paints antique guitars and fender used old paint from auto manufacturers.

http://pc.dupont.com/bowstreet5/webengine/dpc/common/Controller/Action!_pageDispatcher/InnerModel!dpc/modules/Login/OuterModel!dpc/common/Controller/InnerAction!visitorAction

Anyway it is under Historcal colour chips History , then there is a launch button for "Launch the DuPont Refinish Historical Color Chip Library "

From that it will give you the paint formula and then you can compare it to the modern one.

Trust you are well. I think the last time I spoke to you was in 1993 from Zurich seeking advice on a cracked ring in the 63 R2 Avanti I had at the time. When I shipped the car from Toronto where I had been living for 3 years, for a European 3 month vacation, before heading back to Australia, I basically thrashed the worn motor a little bit too much. Gosh it was fun pushing the car to breaking point. That car is now owned by the President of the UK club and was the car I used to initially court my now wife when in Toronto. It was down to Warwick where we live recently. My 1937 Dictator used for our wedding in 2000 in Melbourne is now over in the UK. I have slowed down a little now and shifted more towards 1930's cars.

This may be off topic, but people always want youth in the club, but at 42 I always feel very young compared to most other owners of 1930's cars. There is plenty of room for new young owners of the real old bangers.
          I very much enjoy your articles in co-operator.

Regards
          Greg

Greg Diffen
          Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
          1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
          1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
          1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
          1988 Avanti Convertible
          Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
          1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
          1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
          1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
          1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
          1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

I found the same Dupont page yesterday on my own. You can actually see online scans of the paint chip pages for Studebaker, even 1965 and 1966. I was going to share the link, but glad someone else beat me to it.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I found the same Dupont page yesterday on my own. You can actually see online scans of the paint chip pages for Studebaker, even 1965 and 1966. I was going to share the link, but glad someone else beat me to it.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. Single stage paints and two stage paints will never have a 100% due to the clear (gloss factor). I know this goes without saying, but...

Another thing to keep in mind is that most colors will have a variance. Some of the newer colors can have up to 15 different variances (shades) in the assembly line process, and will have even more in the shop. If it's close, I wouldn't worry about exact.

On another note, most paint companies can scan and match colors using base coat/clear coat systems. I've had this done with Sikens paint on my '69 Plymouth Valiant approximately 17 years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. Single stage paints and two stage paints will never have a 100% due to the clear (gloss factor). I know this goes without saying, but...

Another thing to keep in mind is that most colors will have a variance. Some of the newer colors can have up to 15 different variances (shades) in the assembly line process, and will have even more in the shop. If it's close, I wouldn't worry about exact.

On another note, most paint companies can scan and match colors using base coat/clear coat systems. I've had this done with Sikens paint on my '69 Plymouth Valiant approximately 17 years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                  Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                  LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

'Working on the February 2007 Co-Operator, here, and came up with an idea that results in a question:

Has anyone ever technically compared Studebaker's grungy (sorry, but it is![:0]) 1961-1962 Autumn Haze with the late 1990s General Motors truck/SUV color Smokey Carmel? You might be inclined to say, "Well, they do look similar..." but I'm wondering if anyone has actually seen them side-by-side and if so, might an SDCer wanting a later color consider Smokey Carmel appropriate for a complete repaint of an Autumn Haze Studebaker? [?]

No need for an immediate reply; I'm not going to use it in February's Co-Operator anyhow, but would appreciate having the opinion of any paint experts. (Our own Advisor Gregg Lentini replied to a member that he wasn't aware of a direct match for Autumn Haze, but I happened to think of Smokey Carmel while reviewing this material.) [8D]

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I LIKE Autumn Haze. My first new car and first Studebaker was a '61 Cruiser in Autumn Haze with a tan(ish) cloth interior. For a driver it was great- could be filthy and not show it . I also had a '61 convertible in Autumn Haze with a red interior and it looked sharp.
                    I haven't compared autumn haze to a modern color, but one time I found a NOS piece of interior trim for a '53 in the famous Loma Gray. I held it against an unfaded panel on the Autumn Haze convertible and (in my eye) was a dead match. Maybe Studebaker used Autumn Haze for one year to get rid of all their old Loma Gray paint.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I LIKE Autumn Haze. My first new car and first Studebaker was a '61 Cruiser in Autumn Haze with a tan(ish) cloth interior. For a driver it was great- could be filthy and not show it . I also had a '61 convertible in Autumn Haze with a red interior and it looked sharp.
                      I haven't compared autumn haze to a modern color, but one time I found a NOS piece of interior trim for a '53 in the famous Loma Gray. I held it against an unfaded panel on the Autumn Haze convertible and (in my eye) was a dead match. Maybe Studebaker used Autumn Haze for one year to get rid of all their old Loma Gray paint.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                      X