jack stand placement for storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jack stand placement for storage

I have been told that I should store my daytona for the winter with weight on the springs...easy on the back. two stands under the spring plates...done.
    the front has me scratching my head. I want to load the springs. I thought about the stands under the shock mounts for a second but I figgured that would trash the mounts fast. soooo. what do you do?
    would a 4 by 4 under the A arm some place do it?
    thanks for the input.Rich

64 Daytona HT
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

If you are using newer radials for tires, it's not necessary to put the car on jack stands. Flat spots are no longer a problem with newer tire compounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That raises a good question about tire "flat spots" I have a new set of Coker Radials on my 50 Champ. I have it on stands right now to prevent flat spots. I am in Colorado and it gets cold here this time of year and I have always tried to put my cars on jacks to save the tires over the winter.
      I might check with Coker and see what they say. Any other thoughts on this subject?

Rick
      Wellington Colorado

Comment

Depends on the construction. The original bias nylon cord tires would develop a flat spot if they sat for even a few days. You had to drive a few miles in warm weather to get the thump out of them. If they sat all winter you had to strap everything down for the first thirty or forty miles. Steel belted radials don't have that problem. I don't know what construction Coker is using in their radials, but it's probably steel. What does the sidewall say?

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I was told that a deflated tire won't dry rot-anyone know about that? I do know that tires sit on the rack for a long time without rotting.-[?]

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Don't use a 4x4. They could rock ond pop out if the Stude was jossled.
            Better to use a rectangular rubber pad to protect the lower shock area of the a-frame.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by am not r2

I have been told that I should store my daytona for the winter with weight on the springs...easy on the back. two stands under the spring plates...done.
            the front has me scratching my head. I want to load the springs. I thought about the stands under the shock mounts for a second but I figgured that would trash the mounts fast. soooo. what do you do?
            would a 4 by 4 under the A arm some place do it?
            thanks for the input.Rich

64 Daytona HT

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I currently have the bias plys that it came with. I want to change them over but...they are new and I can wait untill I can make up my mind on the wheel and tire package.R
              thanks all

64 Daytona HT
              64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by am not r2

I currently have the bias plys that it came with. I want to change them over but...they are new and I can wait untill I can make up my mind on the wheel and tire package.R
                thanks all

64 Daytona HT
                OK, with bias plys, I agree about getting the car off the ground...[)].

As for tires dry rotting, this occurs from oxygen/ozone exposure. It takes a lot longer for a tire to dry rot than in the past, but they still will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

For what it's worth, the bias tires I have on my 51 are polyester cord and I've never noticed them thump like the nylons did, and it does sit on it's tires all winter.

It's been twenty years since I ran nylon cord and I'd forgotten all about that unnerving thump. Perhaps it's the cord material and not the bias construction.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a new set of Broadway Classic radials with NitroFill (nitrogen replacing the air in the tires) and DRIVE the car anytime. Storeage isn't in my vocabulary!
                    The Nitrogen filled tires reduces the chance of rot by many times. The car runs so smoothly that I swear a little elf installed power steering and rebuilt my front end! Storeage with radial tires is not a problem. Flat spots don't happen with the modern tire compounds and design.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

I've got Goodyear radials on my car. This past year I had it in storage for 5 months sitting on the tires, april to September. The weather was nice, here in California. I moved in September and emptied the storage into the garage of my new place.

Annoyingly, the car had flat spots in the tires, rather minor ones but it did. They didn't affect anything at low speed but at 55 and above I had the thumping and a terrible vibration coming through suspension up through to the steering wheel. Going 55 on a CA freeway is darned slow, felt like I was going to get run over, besides the problem of my steering wheel shaking so violently that my arms were getting sore. Drove the car the next day and the symptoms were minimal. The third day the problems were totally gone.

So, radials can get flat spots. BUT my radials are on the older side, hence it's probably age related. When the radials were brand new, the car sat a few times for several months but never got flat spots.

The moral: Modern radials may get flat spots if the tires are old.

E. West
                      "The Speedster Kid"
                      Sunny Northern California
                      Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                      And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                      Best Regards,
                      Eric West
                      "The Speedster Kid"
                      Sunny Northern California
                      Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                      And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                      55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                      55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Working...
                      X