PDA

View Full Version : Value of 1916 Studebaker?

mbstude
11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Sounds like a nice car. I know nothing on values, but I think the Big Six engine came out in 1918, although it could still be a 6 cylinder. Could you post or email me a picture or two?

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/side_body_avatar.jpg

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/

mbstude
11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Sounds like a nice car. I know nothing on values, but I think the Big Six engine came out in 1918, although it could still be a 6 cylinder. Could you post or email me a picture or two?

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/side_body_avatar.jpg

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/

Robin Wells
11-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Hello All

I'd really appreciate some guidance on the potential value of a Studebaker I am looking after.

I run a car storage business in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and a customer has recently acquired a 1916 Studebaker. I think it is a 'Big Six' but can't be sure: it has four doors, is a soft top, and quite a large rear passenger area well set-back from the rear doors.

It is in very good order - not going to win any prizes for best of show, but quite remarkable for its age and with a good overall patina. It was previously in the UK and prior to this was in Michigan (MN?), and has some badges from the Antique StudeBaker Club on the windscreen. A plate on the rear, says StudeBaker 1916, 4-40 and elsewhere the model name is SF4.

My customer doesn't have much idea as to what it is worth and has asked me to do some research...this is where I ended up! My business is www.carsafe.ae by the way, and we tend to look after brand new Ferrari's and Lamborghini's so this is quite unusual for me!

I'd appreciate any guidance that members can offer

Many thanks

Robin Wells
Dubai, UAE

Roscomacaw
11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
The SF, also known as the 4-40 is a 4-cylinder (consequently, not Big 6) car that was first introduced in June of 1915.

MN is the abbriviation for the state of Minnesota, not Michigan (MI).
These cars were assembled in Detroit, Michigan and a lesser number being put together in Walkerville, Ontario, Canada. The SF4 and it's 6-cylinder companion, the ED6 were built thru 1917.

By the way, if there's an embossed metal tag on the engine side of the firewall, the figures on that tag might help us identify exactly what body style SF4 you're dealing with.
The fact that it has an Antique Studebaker Club decal would quite likely mean that the history of this particular car is know to persons IN that club. They have a website where you might ask about the history of this particular auto.;)

From what reference material I have, the Big Six (model EG) debuted in 1920.

Maybe Richard Quinn will chime in here. Richard? Any idea as to value on this thing?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
The SF, also known as the 4-40 is a 4-cylinder (consequently, not Big 6) car that was first introduced in June of 1915.

MN is the abbriviation for the state of Minnesota, not Michigan (MI).
These cars were assembled in Detroit, Michigan and a lesser number being put together in Walkerville, Ontario, Canada. The SF4 and it's 6-cylinder companion, the ED6 were built thru 1917.

By the way, if there's an embossed metal tag on the engine side of the firewall, the figures on that tag might help us identify exactly what body style SF4 you're dealing with.
The fact that it has an Antique Studebaker Club decal would quite likely mean that the history of this particular car is know to persons IN that club. They have a website where you might ask about the history of this particular auto.;)

From what reference material I have, the Big Six (model EG) debuted in 1920.

Maybe Richard Quinn will chime in here. Richard? Any idea as to value on this thing?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

go-studebaker
12-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi Robin,
value is a subjective thing. You do not see many 1915 Studebakers around, but that does not make them all that valuable either.

I would guess between 10-20k US Your owner may get a premium for it in the UAE, but I dont know if UAE locals have a thing for 1915 cars or if they just love Air Con. Maybe there is an Expat that loves old bangers that it may appeal too.

Anyway a Studebaker is a car of real parentage and wont look out of place amoungst those boy racer cars.

In 1929 Studebaker came 3rd at Brooklands in a Stude President, behind Bently and Alfa Romeo.

I have a good contact in Oz if the owner needs parts for his 1915

Regards
Greg (and Expat myself)

Greg Diffen
Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
1988 Avanti Convertible

go-studebaker
12-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi Robin,
value is a subjective thing. You do not see many 1915 Studebakers around, but that does not make them all that valuable either.

I would guess between 10-20k US Your owner may get a premium for it in the UAE, but I dont know if UAE locals have a thing for 1915 cars or if they just love Air Con. Maybe there is an Expat that loves old bangers that it may appeal too.

Anyway a Studebaker is a car of real parentage and wont look out of place amoungst those boy racer cars.

In 1929 Studebaker came 3rd at Brooklands in a Stude President, behind Bently and Alfa Romeo.

I have a good contact in Oz if the owner needs parts for his 1915

Regards
Greg (and Expat myself)

Greg Diffen
Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
1988 Avanti Convertible