Grr! It WAS a good battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grr! It WAS a good battery.

With the weather here moderating somewhat, I figured I'd pull the battery out of my Weasel, and bring it into the shop to thaw out, and get a top-up charge.

Got the cables off, no problem. Got the battery hold-down released, no problem. Grabbed it with my battery carrier tool (the real thing), and it slipped free as I was lifting it, and dropped onto the stud for the battery hold-down. Punched a hole in one cell, and acid dribbled out all over the floor of the battery area. I dropped the battery carrier, and picked up the battery with gloved hands, and pitched it over my shoulder and out of the shed. It hit the ground, and rolled under the front of a M16 truck.

I dumped half a box of baking soda all over the spillage area, and called it a day for Weasel activities.

I went on to check for bad glow plugs in my Suburban, and came up with proof positive that the world is coming to an end. The first three glow plugs I took out, the 3 easiest ones to reach, were all bad. And the remaining ones I was able to get a meter lead on, were all good. That leaves 3 I haven't checked yet, but I mean, What are the odds? Clearly the laws of Nature are coming un-glued.

Watch for unicorns and flying pigs!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Well Gord... it must be the Climate Action forces of Nature out to get you... [}][:0][)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

BTDT, Gord[}][:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

How can you tell if a glow plug is bad ??

Comment

Lack of continuity?

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28

59 Lark
          etc

Comment

Almost had the same situation. My battery carriers are the grab-the-post type. I got new batteries for my 1070 Case(they are big). When putting the second battery in the battery box the carrier broke. I was lucky it was teetering on the edge of the box four feet off the ground.

I kind of use a meter for glow plugs. A sure test is to take them out and use lead wires and 12V. It should get red hot in 6 seconds. If you see a burn spot in them don't bother.

Sorry about your battery, Gord, that's a bummer.

Claude Chmielewski
            Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
            47 M-16 Truck
            62 GT Hawk
            63 Lark
            64 Commander Wagonaire
            50 Champion Regal (parts car)
            63 GT Hawk R2
            [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
            1936 Dictator
            1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
            1953 Commander Regal HT
            1953 2R5 Pickup
            1947 M16 Truck
            1960 Lark VIII Convertible
            1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
            1962 Champ 7E5 no box
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 Lark VI 4 dr
            1963 GT Hawk R2
            1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Easy enough to check glow plugs. I just use a test light, with the clip lead clamped onto the + battery terminal, meaning it will light if the probe "sees" ground. A good glow plug is such a low resistance that it lights the test lamp to full brilliance.

If a glow plug were shorted, the lamp would come on fully bright, too, but they usually fail open, like most any heating element.

Comment

Wow Gord, Murphy came to visit you eh?
                Bummer about the demise of your battery, and the acid all over the weaseal..... Sounds like you took fast evasive action though!
                55 Commander Regal Coupe
                XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                KARR (Knightrider)
                Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Hate to differ Gord. I worked on those things day after day for six years and I learned not to trust a test light.

Claude Chmielewski
                  Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                  47 M-16 Truck
                  62 GT Hawk
                  63 Lark
                  64 Commander Wagonaire
                  63 GT Hawk R2
                  1936 Dictator
                  1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                  1953 Commander Regal HT
                  1953 2R5 Pickup
                  1947 M16 Truck
                  1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                  1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                  1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                  1963 GT Hawk R2
                  1964 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Thanks Gord. Makes me feel better (well, a little, anyway) about all the similar disasters that have befallen me.

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeski

Hate to differ Gord. I worked on those things day after day for six years and I learned not to trust a test light.

Claude Chmielewski
                      Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                      47 M-16 Truck
                      62 GT Hawk
                      63 Lark
                      64 Commander Wagonaire
                      63 GT Hawk R2
                      You could be right, Studeski. I forgot to plug the 'burb in last night, and it wouldn't start for me today. Now cylinders 1,3, and 5 got brand new glow plugs. 7 and 2 checked out OK with the test light. 4, 6, and 8 are REALLY tough to reach.

Could be that some of the ones that show continuity, cold, go open as they begin to warm up.

But the ones that are open, cold, will stay that way.

Godd thing the old brown '88 'burban was plugged in. Started in a flash, it did.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

You could be right, Studeski. I forgot to plug the 'burb in last night, and it wouldn't start for me today. Now cylinders 1,3, and 5 got brand new glow plugs. 7 and 2 checked out OK with the test light. 4, 6, and 8 are REALLY tough to reach.

Could be that some of the ones that show continuity, cold, go open as they begin to warm up.

But the ones that are open, cold, will stay that way.

Godd thing the old brown '88 'burban was plugged in. Started in a flash, it did.

Gord,
                        Sorry about the battery. I've only done 3 things like that today .

I'm still pullin' for you to make it to the GNRS, but I know Fred would like to see you at Turlock also. It's tough when you have multiple invitations to California car events in January

Speaking of glow plugs, it doesn't get as cold here as in Alberta, for sure, but Deb's diesel Jetta starts with a turn of the key at anything above about 35F. The coldest it's been is high teens and the glow plug light goes out after about 4 seconds. Diesel technology HAS improved. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                        X