No announcement yet.

How do I know what I've got? V8 Champ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know what I've got? V8 Champ.

Long story short.
    I am helping a friend clean off the estate that belonged to his grandpa.

On the 3 acres (located in Central Point Oregon), he has a Champ pickup.

I would really appreciate any information that will make us somewhat educated sellers. All I know about it is that it has a REALLY long bed, 8 lug bolt pattern, a full floating rear axle, and a V8. I've got pictures at work, seems to be nearly complete (missing a fuel pump & air cleaner, but has all glass).

He is just looking to sell it to anyone who wants it for parts or restoration. How do we identify the engine size? Are their any Studebaker clubs, forums, or groups in Oregon that would be a good place to advertise?

Does this thing have any value?
    If not, does the engine have any value?

I thought about getting it just so I can have a non-SBC V8 stashed away for some day when I build up some sort of rod.

Thanks for your time and input,
    Peter
    Yreka, CA

Sounds like a 3/4 ton Champ. Engine could be a 259 or a 289; both look exactly the same at a glance. I have a very similar truck with a 259 in it.

If you go to Home>Resources on this website, you will find a link to an engine ID list.

There are a couple of Oregon folks that frequent this Forum; you might also want to contact Bob Williams in Portland, as he is well-known for adopting stray Studebakers.

Value of the truck is very much dependent on condition, maybe $200 for a very poor parts truck, up to maybe $2000 for an exceptionally nice non-running but readily repairable truck (like new brakes, new fuel pump, and a battery, and it drives). To get near the high end of the scale, it would have to be pretty complete, with no major rust or rodent damage, and have mostly good glass and interior.

The above is JUST my opinion, your mileage may vary.

You may also want to talk to Fred Cook, in Redding, CA. He's pretty handy with Studebakers, too. I don't have contact information for either gentleman ready at hand here, but I know other Forum readers do.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

George King is right up the road in Grants Pass. He posts here as orestudeguy

Here's contact info for the SDC Oregon chapters...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'll give the engine identification information to Matt today. We will figure out which engine it has and get that posted along with the complete VIN and some pictures in a day or two. Matt also needs to dig around and see if he can find the title for it. We doubt it has any paperwork, since it has California black plates that have not been registered in years (maybe decades).

Thanks again!
        Peter

Comment

Brett, all you need is an old registration slip (possibly in the glove box), copy of the death certificate, and a form indicating executor status of the individual selling the car. The state of California will then transfer with a lost title. As it is, the truck is probably off the records. To keep the black plates the registration slip would be necessary.

The truck sounds interesting. As long as the engine turns over the value (to me) would be around six hundred dollars. That's what I paid for a similar long-bed Champ 1/2 ton -w- 289. Does the truck have the fleet-side bed or step-side?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Pictures... we want to see pictures! [][8D]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Pictures... Also sounds like the family was able to dig up the papers.

Comment

Comment

Definitely appears to be a 3/4 ton Champ to me with a deluxe cab. Need the serial number and engine number to tell more. Assuming the chrome, parking lamps and box are original, it's a '62 - '64.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Comment

I printed out the V8 engine identification guide for Matt. I don't know if he will get the Vin and engine number off the truck this week, it is dark by the time he gets home from work. Should have all that info on Saturday or Sunday and I'll post it.

Thanks again everybody,
                      Peter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bentworker

The serial number will tell the tale, but based upon all of the visual evidence, I would guess this truck is a '62. So, a 7E-12-T6 is my guess.

Here's where you'll find the engine serial #:

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

E12-5771 Serial number
                          7E12-122 Model number
                          154 hp @ 3800 rpm
                          4 speed manual

Engine number 7E?? ??
                          Matt went poking around in the dark.

Comment

I want the front clip. [^]

Comment

So, it is a 1962 3/4 Ton Champ pickup with a 122" wheelbase (all 3/4 tons had the 122" wheelbase). If the engine starts with a "7E" prefix (not to be confused with the 7E model number which = 1962 model year), it is a standard 289 V8 engine (not HD). However, the 154 HP rating on the serial plate would suggest to me that it started life with a 259 V8 motor. Too bad it doesn't have a 5 spd O/D... then Arkiejazz would be knocking on your door! [}][:0]

After 46 years a lot of changes could have ocurred.

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X