Why I should not ship out of the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I should not ship out of the USA

You'd think I'd learn by now, but I feel sorry for our members outside the US and sell to them on ebay. I must have lost over $100.00 in so doing. Once for refunding $55 in shipping for a $20.00 used fan to Australia that was "dented" and just today $22.00 in shipping for bezels that are probably still in transit to Australia, but was threatened with a negative report.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

I'm glad you didn't say Canada.

Unfortunately, disgruntled people can be found in any country, and the more people you have, the more there are.

Paul

Comment

Thanks John I got the lark insterment bezel today they will look great in my 66 commander. great dealing with you. Doug M

Comment

Well, it cuts both ways, considering the clock I bought from you specifically asking you to send it to Barnlark which you ignored and posted it here. Nice clock, but it seems it won't fit my car. Never mind. If you would be so good as to provide postage cost for the windscreen bottle I just bought from you that would be nice and I could pay you.
        If you'd rather not sell to me as an Australian please cancel the sale. I'm sure we're not all bad, but I suggest you stop "feeling sorry" for overseas buyers we don't need to be patronized.

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
        Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Sounds like blackmail. Ridiculous. It takes awhile to get there, what do they expect? I've never left a negative feedback, but probably should have for one or two really sneaky sellers. I guess the new rules are not helping you sellers much.
          I left negative feedback for one seller 'who refused to ship to Canada', even though I supplied him with a US address to send the item to. He would only answer with a 1-800 number which didn't work in Canada. After e-mailing him stating I could not get through, he still told me 'no sale' even though I gave him an address in ND.

Craig

Comment

This forum is starting to remind me of the old newsgroup!!!

1957 Packard Clipper
            1958 Golden Hawk
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1963 R2 Daytona
            1963 R2 GT Hawk
            1963 R1 Wagonaire
            1963 R4 Avanti
            1964 Champ
            1966 Cruiser

Comment

Australia is the most expensive country to ship to. Always attempt to fly it with terms FOB, CIF or EXW. This way you are not responsible for duties, taxes, clearance and delivery. Fly it door to airport and once it gets there, the receiver is liable for all of the destination charges. Also if someone does not have credit, ship it on a letter or credit or a sight draft. That way they do not get the product until your bank confirms that the money has cleared. Hope this helps. Take care

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
              58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
              58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
              62 Daytona (White)
              63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
              57 Packard Wagon parts car
              57 Packard sedan parts car
              58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Well, it cuts both ways, considering the clock I bought from you specifically asking you to send it to Barnlark which you ignored and posted it here. Nice clock, but it seems it won't fit my car. Never mind. If you would be so good as to provide postage cost for the windscreen bottle I just bought from you that would be nice and I could pay you.
                If you'd rather not sell to me as an Australian please cancel the sale. I'm sure we're not all bad, but I suggest you stop "feeling sorry" for overseas buyers we don't need to be patronized.

John Clements
                Lockleys South Australia

I posted it to the address that you listed on Paypal before getting a e-mail to send it to the unauthorized for PayPal USA address.The bottle you won was just a solvent spare that mounts on the fender, not the washer bag or bottle like you thought. I don't want to ship you something half way around the planet that won't work for your purpose. BTW, I meant I feel sorry that it's harder to find parts outside the USA, and that's why I go through the trouble.
                I just can't afford the return postage if you are not satisfied.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Sounds like blackmail. Ridiculous. It takes awhile to get there, what do they expect? I've never left a negative feedback, but probably should have for one or two really sneaky sellers. I guess the new rules are not helping you sellers much.
                  I left negative feedback for one seller 'who refused to ship to Canada', even though I supplied him with a US address to send the item to. He would only answer with a 1-800 number which didn't work in Canada. After e-mailing him stating I could not get through, he still told me 'no sale' even though I gave him an address in ND.

Craig
                  I once won a part for a guy in England that was faced with the same type of seller. I reshipped it to him without a issue.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

This forum is starting to remind me of the old newsgroup!!!
                    I was thinking the same thing... [)]

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well, Australia may be an expensive place to send to, however if you work out shipping charges and get cleared payment before sending the item there is no worry. Paypal is probably the safest method.

My apologies to JDP for misconstruing his meaning. I have requested cancellation of the sale of the bottle I bought as I thought it was the washer bottle and this is of no value.

I may be requiring a pair of bucket seats and console for my Lark as I want more comfort than my bench gives me. If they can't be sourced here I'll let folks know. Have a restorer who can repair my doors so won't need to import any.

Am going to paint the car "Lark Grey" which is an Aussie color light Grey with a greenish tint, and a Maroon interior like my friend's Hawk. Will look good.

John Clements
                      Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I just sent a package to Germany from here in Canada and it took 46 days ! I think the mailman musta swam [}]

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                        1964 Daytona HT
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You'd think I'd learn by now, ............. but was threatened with a negative report.

JDP/Maryland
                          Not intending too open a beehive here...
                          John,
                          It is commendable that you have preserved your 100% positive feedback rating (last time I checked) on eBay. But at what cost? No one would have any qualms doing business with you at 100%. One negative would give you 99.9% on several thousand transactions. I don't even think twice about doing business with some one at 98% feedback. Things happen, especially under the new feedback system.
                          Kinda like a 400 point showcar. Is it worth it?

KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Having bought numerous Stude parts from ebay,vendors even JDP I have come to the concluson that USPS is the only way to ship to Australia. I infact won't purchase an item unless it can be sent by USPS. Any other way (fedex, UPS etc) results in us having to pay stamp duty,customs duty etc on top of our already poor exchange rate blowing out the cost of the purchase. USPS is cheap,reliable,usually takes a couple of weeks to turn up and does not attract any further charges.
                            What I find fascinating is that alot of US sellers will only post to US or Canada yet there is no extra work sending it anywhere in the world.
                            I even sent parts back to myself via USPS when I was in the US, it could not have been any easier.
                            As in every case get a quote for the shipping and add that to the cost of the item and no one is left short.
                            pb

Comment

I'm leary about Ebay anymore. I think buyers know that they can get sellers banned if the seller doesn't do what Ebay wants to satisfy a buyer. I have a set of Weld Wheels 30 spoke wheels that I want to sell, but one is bent. I believe the wheel to be repairable. Not that this wouldn't be explained, but even when stuff is explained, I've seen Ebay side with buyers at the expense of the seller.

The other problem is that Ebay likes to 'set' shipping charges. I've never charged anyone more than actual shipping, but now I feel I must look at listing a higher amount just to keep the moaning down. I wish another auction had the same amount of buyers without all the crap.

As for overseas shipping, I've only rarely done it. I've been fortunate that the buyers had a realistic idea of shipping time. I've bought from OZ a few times and just asked for a tracking number of some kind so I could track it, even if it cost more. I may make anything I ship sent with a shipper with tracking. I think this might eliminate the questions and shipping hassels with buyers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X